Giant SyncDrive Pro 2020 "tuning"

An e-MTB is never a speed demon but it is a nuisance when you hit a wall at 15.5 mph on-road. 20 mph is fine for me.

The gearing ratios are significantly lower (higher numerically) on a mountain bike. I have the same Trance eMTB, A 2019 model, and at 20ph the cadence is pretty high. I experimented with the speed sensor re-lo hack just to see, which replaces the wheel speed with your crank speed. Pedalling as fast as I could, I think I got to about 23mph. In order to really take advantage of the unleash on a mountain bike you would really need a larger chain ring.
I thought a speed hack might help with my instant road-compatible setup on my mountain bike. Kind of all for not.

Speed sensor relo hack:

44FE53B0-DE70-4802-A022-B58B45804364.jpg

Setup for road:

2F48F6EB-6631-4445-BFBD-EE3730CD35AF.jpg

He can do anything that can be done. The fact the whole process took him 5 hours says something about the difficulty...

Congratulations on the successful installation and thank you for documenting the entire process.

I am now even more convinced of the wisdom of using an external BadA$$ box tuner... installation was 2-3 minutes.

I have learned late in life that sometimes the simplest solution is the best way to go... I now use these boxes on all my EBikes. ;)

Adding the remote sensor is brilliant. Sometimes progress is, well, just not progress. LOL
I used the magnet off the 2020 hub for my speed hack. There's always a tradeoff.

Frankly I think I could deal with a couple of teeth higher chain ring, I never use the 46rear. Is there an option for a bigger chain ring?

Adding the remote sensor is brilliant. Sometimes progress is, well, just not progress. LOL

I used the magnet off the 2020 hub for my speed hack. There's always a tradeoff.

Frankly I think I could deal with a couple of teeth higher chain ring, I never use the 46rear. Is there an option for a bigger chain ring?

I changed the front ring on my Shimano Steps cranks from 38 to 44 teeth to increase the max road speed... an easy swap with the OEM parts.

Regarding the Yamaha drive, I have not changed the front ring on the EMTBs, but I think it would be easy because Yamaha offers OEM dual ring options.

I thought someone posted alternate sizes for Yamaha?
I would be happy with 2-4 teeth larger. The chain guide has a larger/higher setting as well.

I thought someone posted alternate sizes for Yamaha?
I would be happy with 2-4 teeth larger. The chain guide has a larger/higher setting as well.

I checked and found that my front BH OEM chainring is a standard FSA 36T narrow/wide with a 4 bolt 104 BCD.

You can easily swap to a larger FSA chainring for a higher top-end gear range and the chain guide is adjustable as you noted.

Let me know if you see a 40 or 42 in your travels. 👍
Stock is 36, right?

Yes, the stock chainring on both of my BH bikes is 36T.

I like Raceface rings for their quality and durability. ;)

Last edited:
Well now, that is worth doing the hack for. :cool:

Where to get a longer chain? LOL

You like?

I think my chain is 116 instead of the stock 114, butI buy 120 and cut to length

Attachments

• DDE66BD1-8D1E-4516-8C2C-0BFE8FB2ECD9.jpeg
    DDE66BD1-8D1E-4516-8C2C-0BFE8FB2ECD9.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 388
Wow Stefan, great job documenting and pointing out the simple complexity! Absolutely convinced me that I DO NOT want to mess with installing any type of speed box. I'll probably go with the magnet option before attempting eBike heart surgery. Congratulation and you owe your bother a case of his favorite.

Giant Trance E+ has a 36T 104 BCD chainring. It looks it is hard to find anything bigger, narrow-wide and 12-speed at the same time.

Back