GIANT RideControl App 2.0

I never give up ! Thanks & thanks to all for the useful input ! I'm a newb to ebikes & the tech that goes with em. But with help from this forum I've got pretty good grasp on what will work. And if I can give back any useful advice to others from what I've learned I will do that.
What we've decided to do is get a Garmin edge 130, it's a bit cheaper than the Giant product & actually has a lot more features than what the Giant product has.
Are you sure the 130 has the LEV ANT+ capability? Just asking.

My Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro now belongs to my brother. The EVO display that I installed instead of the Ride Control ONE got killed because of raining. My brother reinstalled the Ride Control ONE and told me the remote was not waterproof either but could be put back into the operation after careful drying the unit.

And yes, my brother went for Garmin Edge 530 as a trustworthy Giant e-bike display.

Only two big brands I know of support ANT+ connectivity. Fortunately, Giant is one of them.
That is horrid that the rain killed the EVO. Their advertising literally says, « rain or shine ».

I just checked my 2019 Explore E3 this morning and got a notice of the RideControl app that I have to upgrade my firmware before I can continue....

Anyone upgrade their bike to the latest firmware? My 2019 is almost 4 yrs old and out of warranty. I am a little scare of upgrading the firmware. At this point, I just wanna to ride my bike, not sure why Giant still pushing update to a 3.5 yrs old product....

I just checked my 2019 Explore E3 this morning and got a notice of the RideControl app that I have to upgrade my firmware before I can continue....

Anyone upgrade their bike to the latest firmware? My 2019 is almost 4 yrs old and out of warranty. I am a little scare of upgrading the firmware. At this point, I just wanna to ride my bike, not sure why Giant still pushing update to a 3.5 yrs old product....
I had a 2019 Fathom and now a 2021 Stance. I always updated, and still do if one is available.
I've had no trouble myself but YMMV.
It occurs to me that updates are generally made/provided for improvements.

Yep, two current eMTB's, a 2019 Trance and a 2020 Stance. Both updated about a month ago - no issues.
I have setup about six Giant ebike connect apps over the years and never had a problem with any of them or any updates.
You do have to be logged into the app with a valid account, and connected to the bike with the BT app. I only use IOS devices.

thanks for the assurance. I just updated this morning, it well well. I have an iPhone, and the update took approximately 5 min.

I got burned before with firmware updates, where manufacture disabled things on purpose. I think it was a Lexmark printer, where after the firmware update now you must replace ALL your ink when only your black ink is out... ever since then I have been skeptical especially why providing firmware update on a 4 yr old product lol.

all in all, I love my Explore E3, that bad boy has 7300KM on it, I took my son in a Thule trailer to so many places thank to the motor. This is why I really don't want any unnecessary risk that might break my bike especially by a firmware update. However, I wouldn't be able to use the app to check the battery health, mileage ...etc without updating the firmware. I really think Giant should allow us to access the regular function of the ride control app without forcing you to upgrade to the latest firmware.

Updates fix any known issues in the app and the interface with the bike - they want you to have the latest and greatest. 👍

I updated today with no problems on my Anytour E+2. No obvious changes what so ever.

My eternal hope to be able to plan a route in the app without being connected to the bike or to use a Komoot tour for navigation (as promised) or even have a clock on the display without the app being connected have not come to pass

Anybody get a message that states that there is an unknown system and can't update? My LBS where I bought it went out of business.

THanks

2019 quickE. It updated when the app was new. When I tried again on the 2nd iteration of the app, it failed. The bike still runs but it wont connect. The old message was MCU unknown

2019 quickE. It updated when the app was new. When I tried again on the 2nd iteration of the app, it failed. The bike still runs but it wont connect. The old message was MCU unknown
Hmmm...
I know that 2019 bikes are the first that supported the app with the exception of some late 2018s if I'm not mistaken.
What phone are you using? I'm on Android and running app version 1.17.0

I have a 2019 Giant Explore E3... I feel like I really have nothing to gain and everything to lose by upgrading the ride control app... Mainly due to my bike is out of warranty and it's working perfectly fine.

All I use the app is really to monitor the battery health, not sure why it's keep forcing me to update the bike's firmware....

The app won't connect if it is out of date. It will prompt you to update if there is one. This ensures connectivity and proper functionality.
I have two of them - a Stance and a Trance - and both updated without issue. The app works quite well despite all the complaints about it.

I have a 2019 Giant Explore E3... I feel like I really have nothing to gain and everything to lose by upgrading the ride control app... Mainly due to my bike is out of warranty and it's working perfectly fine.

All I use the app is really to monitor the battery health, not sure why it's keep forcing me to update the bike's firmware....
I come from a tech background and that seems to make me want to be on the latest version of apps etc.
That said, you should do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Back