Giant Fastroads- battery cuts out issue

david rose

Region
USA
Hi everyone

I have a giant fastroads. When I am riding - the battery has cut off.

I recently cleaned the battery compartment- to remove dust and grit which seemed to help.

Any body else have the issue and how did you solve it.

My 2018 Toughroad with about 6600 miles on it started cutting off about six weeks ago… just died, regardless of load, going up hills or flats. It spent two weeks at the bike shop where they spoke with Giant a few times, put it on the computer, poked and prodded, talked nicely to it and returned it to me without identifying a cause or being able to make it happen (of course).

On today’s ride it cut off again, after working fine for maybe six or seven rides after I got it back. I’ll try the shim trick, but I am facing a crisis of confidence with this much loved machine now. I had planned to take it up to Vermont and New Hampshire for a couple of long rides and I’m not super excited about having the thing die ten miles from Canada. Not sure how to proceed.

My 2018 Toughroad with about 6600 miles on it started cutting off about six weeks ago… just died, regardless of load, going up hills or flats. It spent two weeks at the bike shop where they spoke with Giant a few times, put it on the computer, poked and prodded, talked nicely to it and returned it to me without identifying a cause or being able to make it happen (of course).

On today’s ride it cut off again, after working fine for maybe six or seven rides after I got it back. I’ll try the shim trick, but I am facing a crisis of confidence with this much loved machine now. I had planned to take it up to Vermont and New Hampshire for a couple of long rides and I’m not super excited about having the thing die ten miles from Canada. Not sure how to proceed.
Things I've heard or have been suggested:
Shim under the frame battery plate
Clean contacts on battery and frame
Swap controller

I think that's it. I went through all those things with my Stance and in the end had the bike replaced (along with new battery) under warranty.

Thanks Dave, I’ll get on it. The contacts and frame stuff have been done by me and the bike shop; I’ll try the shim and then see about the controller. This thing is way out of warrantee, so at some point it becomes a decision about how much money to throw at it without a specific path in mind. It’s been a great bike and I hope like hell I can resolve it, but if we get into thousand dollar guesses, it’s going to be time to think about a Revolt.

Thanks Dave, I’ll get on it. The contacts and frame stuff have been done by me and the bike shop; I’ll try the shim and then see about the controller. This thing is way out of warrantee, so at some point it becomes a decision about how much money to throw at it without a specific path in mind. It’s been a great bike and I hope like hell I can resolve it, but if we get into thousand dollar guesses, it’s going to be time to think about a Revolt.
Sadly I don't know exactly what the issue was with my original Stance. I should have pursued that.
I think you have more mileage on your Fastroad than I do on my Stance. I'm at about 3000kms with zero issues now.
Now also on a 800Wh battery. I hope the problem is found and dealt with easily. Such a nice ride!
Best of luck mate!

The electrical gremlin that shut my Trance down last year was caused by a something as simple as a corrosion in the motor connector. The shop cleaned it up and applied a bit of dielectric grease to the connection and had the bike back to me the next day. Who would have thought?

20210420_140735_HDR_resized.jpg20210420_140745_HDR_resized.jpg

I had the same issue with my 2021 Fastroad, that I traded in at no cost for a Trek Allant 8s. The shop could never figure out why the bike was shutting off. It only had roughly 400 miles on it, and I loved the looks of that bike. Seems like Giant has not identified the gremlins yet for this persistent issue, otherwise I would buy another Fastroad. Nothing wrong with the Trek, outside of no ANT, can't turn your lights on and off, and the silly Cobi App/phone holder....but the Bosch motor is a beast. Good luck.....hope it works out.

I spoke with a LBS in Maryland this morning, who informed me that after months of prodding with Giant, they discovered that the “sudden shut-off” issue while riding was due to a batch of bad batteries with the wrong firmware. The LBS informed me that Giant swapped out all of the old batteries, and shipped new ones. This should be welcome news to those who have had issues with their Giant e-bikes.

I spoke with a LBS in Maryland this morning, who informed me that after months of prodding with Giant, they discovered that the “sudden shut-off” issue while riding was due to a batch of bad batteries with the wrong firmware. The LBS informed me that Giant swapped out all of the old batteries, and shipped new ones. This should be welcome news to those who have had issues with their Giant e-bikes.
That is fantastic.

Back