Giant EnergyPak replacement batteries for $200

iskjone

I noticed on EBay that you can buy a complete set of 36v Li-Ion battery replacements for Giant’s EnergyPak from China. It’s a self install project. Not quite sure how the individual batteries are replaced but the price looks like a bargain. I don’t need it and I wouldn’t attempt it myself but it appears that the price of battery replacements are dropping.

Last edited:
Yea, I figured I’d turn my garage in a exploding fire attempting to ‘self-install’ but someone will. I’m surprised they can ship.

Last edited:
Gee, I think you can get an empty case for a couple of hundred. This would make up a new pack for nearly half.

Gee, I think you can get an empty case for a couple of hundred. This would make up a new pack for nearly half.
Any idea where I can find a Giant EnergyPak 400, 36V 11.3Ah Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery for my Explore 2020? Giant does not have any according to my dealer.

You should verify if a EneryPak 500 would swap right in. (I think they do according to Giant's website) They may have those in stock.

If we were riding BOSCH motor eBikes we could order online a 800wh 36 volt 'plug and play' battery (generic) for under $70 USD with free shipping. Our batteries are designed to last a very long time but they are high risk for thefts. I had my Explore E+ only a year and I'm already thinking of upgrading next year.

It cost me £570 ($760 US) recently for my energypak 500, expensive yes but I would rather feel safe than buy a cheap battery that could potentially destroy my home and kill everybody inside it...

I'm saying this because ebikes have notorious reputation for explosion and fire.

Yet, people are fine with smartphones, laptops, EV and hybrid cars, etc.
Smartphones and similar devices aren't pumping out the higher amps needed for an electric motor at speed.
While there have been Tesla fires, these vehicles have FAR more sophisticated BMS.

Homebuilders of battery packs, especially salvaged cells repurposed, I believe are responsible for more fires than we realize.

Rossmann was running 72V with a CA3 and I believe a Baserunner or Phaserunner from Grin. However given his extreme skill set I believe it was a poorly built 72V. Some makers will not sell/build 72V. It's a whole new ballgame.

I haven't heard of Rad Power catching fire.
I haven't heard of Juiced catching fire either, same as Biktrix, Surface 604, Volt, Pedego and all the other ebike companies.
Do we think makers will be forthcoming with fire reports?:eek:

"In a period of only 7 months, 3 fires broke out at the HQ and showroom of a Dutch E-bike company. It involved 36 bicycles and 80 batteries. In China, Statistics show that the recharging of electric bicycle batteries caused 799 fires between 2011 and 2013, causing the deaths of 95 people and injuring 58."

Last edited:
Do we think makers will be forthcoming with fire reports?:eek:

"In a period of only 7 months, 3 fires broke out at the HQ and showroom of a Dutch E-bike company. It involved 36 bicycles and 80 batteries. In China, Statistics show that the recharging of electric bicycle batteries caused 799 fires between 2011 and 2013, causing the deaths of 95 people and injuring 58."

The local Fire Dept. if it's a serious threat. Hard for companies to hide those type of events. A battery overheats in a airline overhead compartment and the whole worlds hears about it.

If we were riding BOSCH motor eBikes we could order online a 800wh 36 volt 'plug and play' battery (generic) for under $70 USD with free shipping. Our batteries are designed to last a very long time but they are high risk for thefts. I had my Explore E+ only a year and I'm already thinking of upgrading next year.
Love to know where you can get one of these Bosch batteries that sounds like a fairy tale from another world. No offense but I just got a new Bosch power pack battery as a spare. Did all my research but who knows, not me obviously.....
I am searching for a reputable Bike battery rebuilder in the USA to get my 400/11Ah up to ~650/15Ah if possible with that form factor. Giant spec-ed my 80nm bike with a 400, 36V 11.3Ah battery. So, tuning my 2 lowest assist level for training on my 50-100 mile rides even in #1 assist level which makes the bike about like a 28-30 lb load, this battery sucks (sorry.) I know Giant makes a couple of different options the 500watt side release and the lil carrier mountable extender. They would certainly help if you could get them.

Last edited:
Back