Upgrading to a larger battery. Trade in the new existing battery for a credit or just buy the new one and have two batteries?

500Wh battery from my 2020 Explore E+1. Since we're measuring 365mm tip to tip 😳
It means Jim can order the 500 Wh battery but in the format of your battery, Paul. Thanks!

more like a case that seamlessly follows the frame.
The larger format EnergyPaks also seamlessly insert into the frame. One of the best designs of the battery integration I could see so far.

Last edited:
He is right about one thing, 48V is better than 36V in terms of efficiency. I don't see the point of these so called major players staying with 36V unless it is some compatibility(but they are not even interchangeable) or legal regulation(maybe this is the reason) problem.

48v = Faster acceleration, great (faster) for HILLY terrain, higher top end speed, higher rpm , very good for HEAVY riders ( >185lb) or heavy payload. 185lb person weight usually deviates ,maybe upto 205lb winter time😉

36v= Let's just say that it is good enough for class 1 ebikes, and LIGHT riders(<185lb) .

@Stefan Mikes doesn't care about top speed/acceleration b/c he may be under 185lb and also doesn' ride on US roads xcept on an indoor trainer.

This is a good thread from way back in '14:

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Ebiker01 that Bosch, Brose/Specialized, Yamaha/Giant, Shimano, Mahle and some other cannot or don't want to make your dreams come true.

You didn't heard about EP8 i guess ...Again it will Take you a few months to discover who had put it first on an emtb.

Speaking of smart gauges on your Giant ,That is something completely irrelevant by now , it was done back in 2012 first by Bh then by Stromer.

Where were Giant ,Trek , Yamaha ,Bosch, Mahle , Brose , Specialized fanboy ?

Please Don't wake up now in the middle of the night to reply likey you did yesterday ,you know who is right, continue to ignore and spread fake info, eventually it will stick.

So the Giant site mentioned how they supposedly get long life in their Panasonic cell batteries; they stop charging ( I assume temporarily) any cells in the battery that reach a temperature that's considered too high.
Why would that be any more beneficial than simply always unplugging from the charger periodically and letting the battery rest before continuing? My guess is that it isn't better for the battery, it's just more convenient than letting the whole pack cool down and settle down.

Back