Best place to buy a battery

jamesatlas

True custom cars is not having someone else build
Region
USA
City
sacramento
Hello All,

All things have a life span and or upgrades are wanted. If I want to buy a new battery when mine doesn't work anymore or if I want to add on another battery for extended range. Do I have to order these from the company I purchased the bike from for them to work? Will that company have to provide the bracket and connectors etc?
Thank you!!

Curious to where the best place to buy a battery

Why would you not want to buy it from an official bike store where you bought your bike?

I have a pedigo, which means if I buy a new battery I will definitely buy it from the dealer, most because the battery comes with a warranty. I don't trust Amazon to not bounce the battery around a few dozen timesin the warehouse or truck before it gets to me, therefore I won't rely on it being a safe battery.

Fire safety demands a charger that works properly with the battery management system (BMS) inside your battery. (Not just talking connectors here.)

If you plan to keep your current charger, the best way to insure that is to buy the battery it came with.

Hello All,

All things have a life span and or upgrades are wanted. If I want to buy a new battery when mine doesn't work anymore or if I want to add on another battery for extended range. Do I have to order these from the company I purchased the bike from for them to work? Will that company have to provide the bracket and connectors etc?
Thank you!!

Hello,
Lets start with some basics. What brand and model e-bike did you buy. Second, what brand of battery
and motor came with your bike ? Third... You wrote...." Will that company have to provide the bracket
and connectors etc? "

If your bike company doesn't offer the necessary hardware to attach a spare battery to you bike for extended range,
you're out of luck.

Did you buy your bike via the Internet ? Whatever you do, battery install / modifications is not 'amateur night'. Litium-Ion
batteries have the potential to be extremely dangerous...Explosions / Fires.

John

If you post some pics of the bike, battery and connectors, you might get more suggestions.

If your battery is "generic" and not proprietary, you may be able to use another source to buy one. However, as stated by @John from Connecticut above, lithium batteries are nothing to fool around with unless you know some basics. There are quality batteries and cheap ones out there. If you go cheap, the risk of problems greatly increases.

If you have some DIY skills, it isn't that difficult to add a second battery. If your bike has a rear rack mount battery, there are kits available to add a second to the down tube. The converse is also true. Again, you need to know what you're doing to avoid damage to yourself or the bike!!

Why would you not want to buy it from an official bike store where you bought your bike?

I have a pedigo, which means if I buy a new battery I will definitely buy it from the dealer, most because the battery comes with a warranty. I don't trust Amazon to not bounce the battery around a few dozen timesin the warehouse or truck before it gets to me, therefore I won't rely on it being a safe battery.
Was just trying to see what's best out there

Hello All,

Thank you!!

What bike is it?

Was just trying to see what's best out there
We have have offered some very fundamental suggestions ( advise ) based on the technical information you've provided
which is zero.

We asked for the make and model of your bike, (a quality picture or two if possible would be very helpful ). I attempted
to explain, if your bike isn't designed for a second battery the manufacturer will not help you. Others have offered some
basic info on your 'mystery' bike.

Instead of responding to these and other thoughts you wrote......"Was just trying to see
what's best out there "

Based on this far flung ( meaningless ) statement and your thought process,
Instead of answering some of the above, I very strongly recommend you not in anyway do any work
and or changes to your bike !

I'm not trying to slam you, absolutely not, but as I mentioned prior, Lithium - Ion Bike battery can be extremely dangerous.
Based on you thought process you haven't me you can safely modify your e-bike.

John

Hi James. You asked a fair question, Bike riders aren't supposed to know the technology behind battery safety. We've all gone thru the history of cell phone, laptop and skateboard fires, and it's normal to expect that consumer safety and governments have cleaned up lithium issues. Has yet to happen.

Best place to buy a battery depends on who made it. It's a big name maker, you probably can't wrong with going back to the seller. With the under a thousand crowd, the batteries tend to be generic. You might find a third party battery to be better quality than what was in the bike, but we're still in the Max Max era as far as low cost ebike batteries. A lot of them are suspect.

Battery fires are still rare. Batteries do have safety circuits. Otherwise, the shops that make them would have burned down. The odds are a low cost battery just wears out quickly. Best thing is to buy from a seller willing to identify what cells are inside. Quality automotive grade cells from Samsung, LG, Panasonic have failure rates under 1 in ten million.

Hi James. You asked a fair question, Bike riders aren't supposed to know the technology behind battery safety. We've all gone thru the history of cell phone, laptop and skateboard fires, and it's normal to expect that consumer safety and governments have cleaned up lithium issues. Has yet to happen.

Best place to buy a battery depends on who made it. It's a big name maker, you probably can't wrong with going back to the seller. With the under a thousand crowd, the batteries tend to be generic. You might find a third party battery to be better quality than what was in the bike, but we're still in the Max Max era as far as low cost ebike batteries. A lot of them are suspect.

Battery fires are still rare. Batteries do have safety circuits. Otherwise, the shops that make them would have burned down. The odds are a low cost battery just wears out quickly. Best thing is to buy from a seller willing to identify what cells are inside. Quality automotive grade cells from Samsung, LG, Panasonic have failure rates under 1 in ten million.

Hi HarryS...You points are spot on. I completely agree with your point of view. Unfortunately if or when the poster
provides actual specifics on his bike, company supplied battery / charger etc all we can do 'What if's forever.

' Hopefully the poster will share his bikes specs and not..." Just trying to see what's best out there"....
My view, the best out there... Bosch. I have two 6 year old Trek e-Bikes, 6,000 + miles on each bike. zero battery / motor problems.

Last month I bought a Trek Allant 7s + . I did a very crude range test of my new Allant7s Bosch battery and my 6 year old
battery. Both Batteries , 500 watt. I was surprised. The range in both old and new batteries are very similar.

John

We have have offered some very fundamental suggestions ( advise ) based on the technical information you've provided
which is zero.

We asked for the make and model of your bike, (a quality picture or two if possible would be very helpful ). I attempted
to explain, if your bike isn't designed for a second battery the manufacturer will not help you. Others have offered some
basic info on your 'mystery' bike.

Instead of responding to these and other thoughts you wrote......"Was just trying to see
what's best out there "

Based on this far flung ( meaningless ) statement and your thought process,
Instead of answering some of the above, I very strongly recommend you not in anyway do any work
and or changes to your bike !

I'm not trying to slam you, absolutely not, but as I mentioned prior, Lithium - Ion Bike battery can be extremely dangerous.
Based on you thought process you haven't me you can safely modify your e-bike.

John
Sorry for the newbie question. It is a Juggernaut FS Pro 2. Stated it is a Reention Dorado that fits the bracket. I got a range extender bracket that fits on the frame for the second battery and just trying to source a battery...

The range extender battery for the Juggernaut uses a connector which could be difficult to find on a "generic" battery.

Biktrix offers two different range extender batteries for the bike. The OEM version, which uses quality Samsung, LG or Sanyo cells, goes for $749, depending on the capacity you want. They also have an off brand, lesser quality battery from Sinowatt for $549.

If you're comfortable with a lesser quality battery, assuming you can find a generic with the right connector, you probably won't find one for much less than $549.

I'm spending your money here but if it were me, I'd stick with one of the batteries sold by Biktrix.

James
This is the plug for the Duo series of battery brackets,
https://www.panmtrade.com/.../battery-connector-power-cs...?

On my Jugg 4 bike, it is wired Red to red and Black to black,
on the bracket and in the bike, no other wiring used/seen.
This is the bracket/plug on the Juggs 4 bike.

Make sure you use the correct plug type for these brackets, depending on your bike, as there is at least 3 different OEM types..

I made a 3' extension cable, so I could move the battery back to the rear rack and can use 1 of my 48v Wart Hog, 17.5a battery's as a back up if needed, for the long rides I like to do.

Another option is, make the extension cable and use a 5 flat pin plug, female Hailong end to plug into the bracket. (Amazon or Ebay for these Hailong plugs.)

I also found out that you can move the bracket up 1 screw hole and use the OEM washers, this also opens the step thru space quite a bit.
This extension plug opened the step thru space, so I don't trip myself. I hate falling over...as it's hard to get up when being tangled up in the bike and pucker brush...lol HTH's
ymmv

The range extender battery for the Juggernaut uses a connector which could be difficult to find on a "generic" battery.

Biktrix offers two different range extender batteries for the bike. The OEM version, which uses quality Samsung, LG or Sanyo cells, goes for $749, depending on the capacity you want. They also have an off brand, lesser quality battery from Sinowatt for $549.

If you're comfortable with a lesser quality battery, assuming you can find a generic with the right connector, you probably won't find one for much less than $549.

I'm spending your money here but if it were me, I'd stick with one of the batteries sold by Biktrix.
I completely agree 100%. Buy the OEM Biktrix Battery...No finger pointing, should there be a problem (Unlikely )
Biktrix Battery on a Biktrix. Do it !! Get out and ride !!

John

I can tell you a couple of places to buy a pile of trash that won't work. Btrbattery of ebay, and sun ebike warehouse of Baldwin City CA via Amazon. Got my money back from ebay, not Amazon. Both vendors probably dead in 2018, ebay & amazon store names are cheap.
If you did a conversion, you can install a battery of generic connectors as I did in a frame of Aluminum angle, covered with foam & a plastic bag. Generic connectors are andersn, XT60 XT90, .250 Flag insulated crimp terminals from Dorman T&B Panduit 3M or Ideal. I bought a battery of capacity that exceeds my ability to sit down - 4 hours. 840 wh, or about 50 miles. 6 years 11000 miles later it still works. The vendor (Luna) is out of the street rider market, he only sells desert racing batteries now. 52 V is stupid for street use. I hung my battery frame from the front basket mount bosses welded into the frame of my Yuba pedal bike. 99.999% of bikes do not have these basket mounts. Water bottle mounts IMHO are not strong enough to hold up a 840 wh battery. I view rear rack batteries as stupidly loading up the heavy wheel of the bike, and likely to be crumpled if you get overrun by a car. I view battery bags that hang from the top bar as an invitation for theft. Two wannabe thieves have tried to remove my battery at the grocery, partially removing 2 of the 24 screws while I was shopping. The wrong ones. Elastic stop nuts fight the wannabe thief all the way off, 30 turns or more of a 1" screw.
I have heard california ebike and reentron of Shanghai sell decent aftermarket batteries. I did not use them. Ebikeling.com seems to sell reliable batteries for his conversion kits.
If your new bike has patented battery mount and connectors, as 99% of store and internet bikes do, then you have to buy a spare from that vendor. Chose wisely. If you bought a reentron dolphin, you are probably good for installing a spare. Branded battery for your branded bike should be as reliable as the brand's reputation.
Brags about what quality and brand of cells are in an aftermarket battery are total hot air. No purchaser takes apart his new battery t confirm what cell is in it. Not until he discovers he has just bought a pile of trash. Repairing a LIIon battery with bad connections (as my trash ones had) is too dangerous for the inexperienced. With all my welding experience, I do not intend to try to weld LiIon cells together.

Last edited:
Back