Giant Embolden E+1

A Wood

Hello. I have a 2019 Giant Luv Embolden E+1 full sus mountain bike. I live in the U.K.
I am seeking responses/advice/suggestions for two problems developed on the bike.
The first issue manifested itself on the control unit on the handlebar. For no apparent reason a red light flashes on the unit and the lights indicating the Power modes disappear. The Eco mode light stays on as do the battery indicator lights. The performance is not affected and I am able to switch to higher modes but the monitor only shows the Eco light and the red light flashes continuously. The control unit was replaced under warranty and diagnostics showed no problem with the motor. Even so, the same problem with the new control unit reappeared. During a ride I am able to resolve it by removing the battery and reinstalling it with a firm thud. That seems to work but I am sure has not otherwise resolved the issue in the long term.
The second problem is the motor itself. Again for no apparent reason , the motor stutters. In other words, it just ceases to operate momentarily and there is a distinct loss of power for a few seconds. The issue is intermittent and no pattern to it. I could be pedalling on the flat or on a climb and will feel a jerky loss of power. Sometimes it is so intermittent as to be barely noticeable at other times it occurs in a series of stops and starts.
The dealer has tested the bike but the problem has not occurred on his rides. I am not imagining it. My husband can hear the motor cut out when he rides alongside me and it occurred when he test rode it.
Giant has suggested installing shims under the battery terminal. So we are going down that route. The shims will arrive next week.
Meanwhile, I am putting this message out in case anyone else has experienced similar issues. And to see if there are any suggestions.
Many apologies for this long post.
A Wood.

Check that speed sensor magnet proximity as it passes, and alignment. That will throw a code for sure.
Surely does sound like a connection issue for the pack.

Hello. I have a 2019 Giant Luv Embolden E+1 full sus mountain bike. I live in the U.K.
I am seeking responses/advice/suggestions for two problems developed on the bike.
The first issue manifested itself on the control unit on the handlebar. For no apparent reason a red light flashes on the unit and the lights indicating the Power modes disappear. The Eco mode light stays on as do the battery indicator lights. The performance is not affected and I am able to switch to higher modes but the monitor only shows the Eco light and the red light flashes continuously. The control unit was replaced under warranty and diagnostics showed no problem with the motor. Even so, the same problem with the new control unit reappeared. During a ride I am able to resolve it by removing the battery and reinstalling it with a firm thud. That seems to work but I am sure has not otherwise resolved the issue in the long term.
The second problem is the motor itself. Again for no apparent reason , the motor stutters. In other words, it just ceases to operate momentarily and there is a distinct loss of power for a few seconds. The issue is intermittent and no pattern to it. I could be pedalling on the flat or on a climb and will feel a jerky loss of power. Sometimes it is so intermittent as to be barely noticeable at other times it occurs in a series of stops and starts.
The dealer has tested the bike but the problem has not occurred on his rides. I am not imagining it. My husband can hear the motor cut out when he rides alongside me and it occurred when he test rode it.
Giant has suggested installing shims under the battery terminal. So we are going down that route. The shims will arrive next week.
Meanwhile, I am putting this message out in case anyone else has experienced similar issues. And to see if there are any suggestions.
Many apologies for this long post.
A Wood.
I’ve just had a similar “System Event” with red light flashing. The manual suggests the “Eco” light is error 5 - battery issue, as you said. Mine is motor issue 2 or sensor issue 3 (can’t repeat today to check which one). Motor cuts out until powered off and on, repeating intermittently. Still trying to sort it out. Will go to dealer if it persists

Just taken the bike to the Giant dealer who said my “motor issue” fault was caused by failure of the torque sensor (bike is 8 weeks old). A replacement sensor has been ordered

Back