Giant e-Bike User Club

They have them listed on the Canadian site at $1350 CDN w/o cover. Current exchange rate has that as $1012 USD. Where are you hanging your pannier on your Trance?

They have them listed on the Canadian site at $1350 CDN w/o cover. Current exchange rate has that as $1012 USD. Where are you hanging your pannier on your Trance?
Topeak Tetra Rack M2, Randy. Highly recommended as the rack even fits (up to) 2.8" tyre, FS MTB. A word of warning: the panniers must not be overloaded with the cargo. The point is: any rack (except the Riese & Muller suspended rack) belongs to the unsprung mass. You might be riding a full-suspension e-bike but the panniers undergo all the vibration. I made a mistake on my grocery shopping yesterday: I only used a single pannier and overloaded it. The pannier detached because of the road vibration! Won't do it again. Always two panniers to distribute heavier cargo between both bags! (I think two eggs broke, damn!)

I thought that was the one you were going to add. I must have missed that you already had it.
I was not clear. It's perfect!
1597149896606.png

I've been using it since 10th of July this year. It was @steve mercier who told me about that thing.

I just wanted to tell you I hardly use my car nowadays. All banal chores outside like daily shopping are better done on e-bike. I had to go to the gas station to buy some coffee and drink some coffee at the same time. Walking for 2 km would be a waste of time. While riding the Trance E+...

1597305933714.png

I'd like to share some thoughts on speed restriction. You can see the unrestricted speed here, 25 mph. I rode in POWER mode to clear a very short busy highway segment. Just for safety. I understand the intentions of law-makers but sometimes high speed saves your life... After getting on a local road from the highway, I was politely pedalling within the Euro 25 km/h limit. Why more there?

loving my Giant Revolt e-bike.
It's the first Giant and first e-bike I've owned, but my wife has a Giant mountain bike, and I've always considered Giant bicycles to be excellent "bang for buck" compared to other brands like Specialized, Canyon etc at each price point...ie for a particular spec level of components, a Giant will be less expensive...
...with a lifetime warranty on the frame for the original owner...and 2 years on the motor/battery/electronics - which IMHO is great.

When I first started looking for an e-bike to make my daily commute easier I loved the concept of the rear hub drive - simple, no additional torque through the drivetrain, lots of drop bar road bike models available...which is what I wanted to replace my acoustic roadie...preferably <20kg
...the first rear hub drive I tried (~40nm) didn't have the assist I was seeking up the hills...ok time to stop loving the concept of rear hub drive...(I've learnt subsequently that geared rear hub drives are available...but not in the bikes I was looking at...)...
...nor did the mid drive I tried in the same testing session...~60nm...

...The guy in the shop recommended the Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 4 (gravel bike) - which has the Bosch CX motor (85nm), but he didn't have one to try, and was way out of my price range (AUD$8,700) :(
...that's when I started looking for other drop bar bikes with one of the more powerful motors (eg Bosch CX, Shimano EP8, Yamaha PX2), mostly found in mountain bikes...it turns out that some gravel e-bikes have a "proper" motor :) and have drop bars :)

The Cannondale Topstone and Canyon Grail:ON were easy to find on the web, but too expensive (and the Canyon Grail:ON is not available in Australia yet).
I looked at Orbea, Focus, Merida, Giant - nothing available in a drop bar bike that had a Bosch CX, Shimano EP8, or Yamaha PX2 motor :(
Plenty of flat bar/front suspension models are available at >20kg - but nothing with a drop bar without front suspension that was <20kg and available in Australia, other than the Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 4, which was too expensive (AUD$8700).

I deliberately went looking on the Giant AU site for something "similar" to the Cannondale Topstone Neo carbon 4 (from my perspective "similar" meant: drop bar, any of Bosch CX, Shimano EP8, Yamaha PX2 motors, and sub 20kg) and I only found flat bar and/or front suspension models available :(

It was on a random web search that I found the Giant Revolt e+ Pro 2020 model - a drop bar gravel bike with the Yamaha PX2 motor that I hadn't managed to find on the Giant AU website...but seemed to tick all my boxes...including being around AUD$3K less expensive than the Cannondale Topstone...I was back in the realms of reality cost wise...still expensive...but achievable...

It was Google searching for more information on the Giant Revolt e-bike that I discovered EBR through this thread:
I bought the Giant after reading the thread.

It turns out the Revolt e+ Pro 2020 can be found on the Giant AU website if you search for it - you just can't get to it via navigation on the site :(
One of the members here on EBR told me Giant remove the bikes from the navigation on their website once the stock at Giant AU runs out, even though there may still be stock available at bike shops.

I dropped into one of the local Giant shops here in Brisbane (Australia) and they had a M and L size Revolt e+ on the floor.
The shop staff recommended an XL size for me...props to that shop (Giant Brisbane) for not trying to sell me a bike the wrong size just coz it was in stock!
They couldn't order me one in, and suggested I find an XL size at another Brisbane shop...which I tracked down using bikeexchange.com.au...

I've had the Giant e-bike a couple of weeks now and it's fantastic 👍

Cycle commuting to work has been my primary mode of transport for the last 15 years or so...except when it's raining heavily - then I take the bus.
The daily commute to work on my acoustic has become progressively less enjoyable over the last 5 years or so as my knees get creakier and the Brisbane hills get steadily steeper :(

My Giant Revolt e-bike has made my cycle commute a joy again - something to look forward to at each end of the day!
I've also started to ride the e-bike on weekends just for fun - I haven't taken my acoustic out "just for fun" for years...
...I even seek out hills to ride over with my e-bike...compared to avoiding hills as much as possible on my acoustic...

I've not found a steep paved road so far in Brisbane that my wonderful Giant Revolt e-bike won't haul me up...

...I'm still exercising...still getting my heart rate up...still cycling...I'm just not punishing my ageing knees on the hills anymore...and loving getting out on the bike "just for fun" again👍

My Giant Revolt only has a 375WHr battery - which some may find too small.
It's perfect for me - the range is sufficient for a social ride in the morning then ride to work and ride home again.

At some stage I may get another charger to use at work to avoid "range anxiety" for the commute home if/when the morning ride consumes too much battery.

My Giant Revolt e+ Pro 2020 is amazing with its Yamaha PW-X2 motor and 80nm of torque - it hauls my >100kg fat @ss up everything I've found on paved roads in hilly Brisbane - with ease!

Giant Revolt e+ Pro 2020 FTW 👍

cheers
Mike

What you write on Giant e-bike affordability is certainly true @almikel. I would have to find another e-MTB yet to match my Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro in terms of specification and price. Funny fact: This e-MTB turned out to be the only e-bike I own capable of safely riding on snow & ice (provided proper winter tyres are used). I bought that e-MTB out of curiosity how it is to ride a full suspension e-bike but never thought it would become my only harsh winter e-bike!

Ah: SyncDrive Pro rocks! Aye? :)

What you write on Giant e-bike affordability is certainly true @almikel. I would have to find another e-MTB yet to match my Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro in terms of specification and price.
👍 - even though my Revolt is the first Giant I've ever owned, Giant have always been IMHO great "bang for buck" bicycles...
...prior to my deeper investigation of what Giant had to offer, ie just based on what I could find on the Giant AU website, I'd become resigned to the fact that the Cannondale Topstone Neo carbon 4 was the closest thing to what I wanted...at way more money than I had to spend...
...it was a pub conversation with another cyclist that made me search harder for a Giant variant of what I was looking for...hilariously he rides a Pinarello road bike - but he loves his newer Giant MTB...and he now struggles to see the benefit of "insert expensive brand bike" over the equivalent specced Giant...

Funny fact: This e-MTB turned out to be the only e-bike I own capable of safely riding on snow & ice (provided proper winter tyres are used).
So glad I never have to cope with snow and ice!
I hate Brisbane summers - but the temperature/humidity has now backed off a bit, and there's a hint of autumn in the air...the last part of February/early March will likely put us back to sweltering, but right now it feels that summer is over (thank God)...
...if I could I'd move to Tasmania or New Zealand from December through February...when Brisbane weather is at it's foulest (hot/humid)
...but once summer is over Brisbane weather from March to November (southern hemisphere autumn/winter/spring) is about as good as it gets...
...in Brisbane in the depths of winter on a cold morning it gets down to below 10 degrees Celsius (50F), on a really cold morning it might get down to <5 degrees C (41 F)
The maximum temperatures throughout winter are around 20-25 degrees Celsius (68-77F)...

harsh winter e-bike!
harsh winters for me is adding a merino wool base layer and if it's really cold (<10 degrees C) I wear arm warmers on the morning commute - on the afternoon commute home it's usually no colder than 15 degrees C or so in the depths of winter...still cold enough for the wool base layer, but the arm warmers aren't required :cool:
Gotta love Brisbane as long as it's not summer!

Ah: SyncDrive Pro rocks! Aye? :)
oh yeah - SyncDrive rules! - I went from avoiding hills on my acoustic to seeking out hills on the Giant e-bike...and going out for a ride "just for fun" again...
...today I rode up Mt Cootha in Brisbane - something I haven't done for about 10 years, and wouldn't have done without an e-bike.
Very enjoyable on the e-bike, compared to a hard slog on the acoustic.

cheers,
Mike

and he now struggles to see the benefit of "insert expensive brand bike" over the equivalent specced Giant...
Prestige :) Unless you are a person riding the hardest technical terrain where small nuances in geometry and gear really matter.

I've never been to Australia (my Dad spent 6 years there in 1950s) but when we're talking climate/weather, the closest thing to Australia of the places I've been to was Israel. The Summer there is hot. The Winter... Well, banana picked up from the trees in December? On my first Israeli trip (which occurred in wintertime), I sat in a hotel armchair in Acre, ate some fresh figs and then called my wife in Poland. "Oh, I've just removed snow from our access yard" -- she said -- "What snow?!" - I exclaimed :D So easy to forget!

What I really like about Syncdrive Pro: People do not report issues with the motor. And the motor can provide tons of support when you really need it. Just push the pedals really strong or spin. That's because there's no Maximum Peak Power limiter in the system. My other e-bike, S-Pedelec Specialized Turbo Vado has a very comparable Brose "speed" motor (Specialized 1.2s). It is possible to limit the Peak Power in that motor for increasing the range. If I had to compare Syncdrive Pro to Specialized 1.2s, I would say that the former were a "strongman" while the latter were a "sprinter" :) It is of course matter of many factors (different e-bikes, geometry, tuning) but the Yamaha/Giant motor still can surprise me with its strenght!

loving my Giant Revolt e-bike.
It's the first Giant and first e-bike I've owned, but my wife has a Giant mountain bike, and I've always considered Giant bicycles to be excellent "bang for buck" compared to other brands like Specialized, Canyon etc at each price point...ie for a particular spec level of components, a Giant will be less expensive...
...with a lifetime warranty on the frame for the original owner...and 2 years on the motor/battery/electronics - which IMHO is great.

When I first started looking for an e-bike to make my daily commute easier I loved the concept of the rear hub drive - simple, no additional torque through the drivetrain, lots of drop bar road bike models available...which is what I wanted to replace my acoustic roadie...preferably <20kg
...the first rear hub drive I tried (~40nm) didn't have the assist I was seeking up the hills...ok time to stop loving the concept of rear hub drive...(I've learnt subsequently that geared rear hub drives are available...but not in the bikes I was looking at...)...
...nor did the mid drive I tried in the same testing session...~60nm...

...The guy in the shop recommended the Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 4 (gravel bike) - which has the Bosch CX motor (85nm), but he didn't have one to try, and was way out of my price range (AUD$8,700) :(
...that's when I started looking for other drop bar bikes with one of the more powerful motors (eg Bosch CX, Shimano EP8, Yamaha PX2), mostly found in mountain bikes...it turns out that some gravel e-bikes have a "proper" motor :) and have drop bars :)

The Cannondale Topstone and Canyon Grail:ON were easy to find on the web, but too expensive (and the Canyon Grail:ON is not available in Australia yet).
I looked at Orbea, Focus, Merida, Giant - nothing available in a drop bar bike that had a Bosch CX, Shimano EP8, or Yamaha PX2 motor :(
Plenty of flat bar/front suspension models are available at >20kg - but nothing with a drop bar without front suspension that was <20kg and available in Australia, other than the Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 4, which was too expensive (AUD$8700).

I deliberately went looking on the Giant AU site for something "similar" to the Cannondale Topstone Neo carbon 4 (from my perspective "similar" meant: drop bar, any of Bosch CX, Shimano EP8, Yamaha PX2 motors, and sub 20kg) and I only found flat bar and/or front suspension models available :(

It was on a random web search that I found the Giant Revolt e+ Pro 2020 model - a drop bar gravel bike with the Yamaha PX2 motor that I hadn't managed to find on the Giant AU website...but seemed to tick all my boxes...including being around AUD$3K less expensive than the Cannondale Topstone...I was back in the realms of reality cost wise...still expensive...but achievable...

It was Google searching for more information on the Giant Revolt e-bike that I discovered EBR through this thread:
I bought the Giant after reading the thread.

It turns out the Revolt e+ Pro 2020 can be found on the Giant AU website if you search for it - you just can't get to it via navigation on the site :(
One of the members here on EBR told me Giant remove the bikes from the navigation on their website once the stock at Giant AU runs out, even though there may still be stock available at bike shops.

I dropped into one of the local Giant shops here in Brisbane (Australia) and they had a M and L size Revolt e+ on the floor.
The shop staff recommended an XL size for me...props to that shop (Giant Brisbane) for not trying to sell me a bike the wrong size just coz it was in stock!
They couldn't order me one in, and suggested I find an XL size at another Brisbane shop...which I tracked down using bikeexchange.com.au...

I've had the Giant e-bike a couple of weeks now and it's fantastic 👍

Cycle commuting to work has been my primary mode of transport for the last 15 years or so...except when it's raining heavily - then I take the bus.
The daily commute to work on my acoustic has become progressively less enjoyable over the last 5 years or so as my knees get creakier and the Brisbane hills get steadily steeper :(

My Giant Revolt e-bike has made my cycle commute a joy again - something to look forward to at each end of the day!
I've also started to ride the e-bike on weekends just for fun - I haven't taken my acoustic out "just for fun" for years...
...I even seek out hills to ride over with my e-bike...compared to avoiding hills as much as possible on my acoustic...

I've not found a steep paved road so far in Brisbane that my wonderful Giant Revolt e-bike won't haul me up...

...I'm still exercising...still getting my heart rate up...still cycling...I'm just not punishing my ageing knees on the hills anymore...and loving getting out on the bike "just for fun" again👍

My Giant Revolt only has a 375WHr battery - which some may find too small.
It's perfect for me - the range is sufficient for a social ride in the morning then ride to work and ride home again.

At some stage I may get another charger to use at work to avoid "range anxiety" for the commute home if/when the morning ride consumes too much battery.

My Giant Revolt e+ Pro 2020 is amazing with its Yamaha PW-X2 motor and 80nm of torque - it hauls my >100kg fat @ss up everything I've found on paved roads in hilly Brisbane - with ease!

Giant Revolt e+ Pro 2020 FTW 👍

cheers
Mike
Great choice with the Giant Revolt... you will not be disappointed with the long term reliability and range of the PW-X2 mid-drive system. ;)

Last edited:
Mrs Jabs tried my Revolt last year and rapidly fell in love; I'd say half the miles put on it from end of summer to end of last year were her riding it with me on my Motobecane. We decided that she was getting her own wheels in 2021, so we started shopping and she ended up loving the look of the Liv Thrive. I asked my local shop about it and they happily ordered one for her to try. Took a few months, but it came in this week and she was sold within 5 minutes of test riding.

Its basically the Liv version of the Fastroad. Same Syncdrive pro motor as my Revolt, same battery/extender (hers, being the 2021, has the 500whr). Really solid part spec for $3900; mostly Tiagra 10spd, hydraulic brakes, comes with fenders, lights, rack, kickstand. The weather has sucked this week so no full shakedown yet, but hopefully soon!

73T5KlOh.jpg

jtpby3O.jpg

Mrs Jabs tried my Revolt last year and rapidly fell in love; I'd say half the miles put on it from end of summer to end of last year were her riding it with me on my Motobecane. We decided that she was getting her own wheels in 2021, so we started shopping and she ended up loving the look of the Liv Thrive. I asked my local shop about it and they happily ordered one for her to try. Took a few months, but it came in this week and she was sold within 5 minutes of test riding.

Its basically the Liv version of the Fastroad. Same Syncdrive pro motor as my Revolt, same battery/extender (hers, being the 2021, has the 500whr). Really solid part spec for $3900; mostly Tiagra 10spd, hydraulic brakes, comes with fenders, lights, rack, kickstand. The weather has sucked this week so no full shakedown yet, but hopefully soon!

73T5KlOh.jpg

jtpby3O.jpg
Beautiful ride... color changing paint?

73T5KlOh.jpg

jtpby3O.jpg

Wow, that’s a really pretty bike. I like the looks of Liv bikes. And they make small and extra small frames, which can be very difficult to find.
Many wonderful miles to you and Mrs Jabs.

73T5KlOh.jpg

jtpby3O.jpg
Gorgeous!
Looks like a "flip flop" paint job used on some vehicles. Does it change colours based on light and viewing angle?

Question on the Giant 6 sensor technology.
Was looking at one of the Giant web pages describing what makes up the 6 sensors:
  • rider torque input (1)
  • speed (2)
  • motor and pedal rotation (which Giant count as 3 and 4)
  • slope (5)
  • accelerometer (6)
I thought motor rotation always equals pedal rotation (excluding the fixed internal motor gearing)?

The Marketing department would always reckon 6 sensors is better than 5...is that it, or am I missing something on how the motor works?

cheers
Mike

I thought motor rotation always equals pedal rotation (excluding the fixed internal motor gearing)?
You never propel the chainring with the crank directly with a mid-drive motor. Both pedal cadence and motor rotation have to be sensed separately so the motor can spin up (or down) to exactly the same (geared) speed as the crank - that's how I can understand it.

Back