Ghost pedaling

Bobsiii

I've never been a big exercise guy, bore way too easily. So naturally I find myself, often, ghost pedaling on my e-bike, just slowly riding the pedals around. I'm just as likely to fall behind the PAS and get a clunk as to self-power much over the PAS.

I know there's lots of enjoyment riding this way but I wonder if I am actually getting some exercise in spite of myself? Most of my rides are 25-30 miles avg ca 15 mph.

Some but not much. Just being on a bike means that you're using all the little micro-movements that keep your balance, etc., that you wouldn't get in your Lazy Boy. And moving the legs like that does stimulate some blood flow in the lower extremities, which is a good thing.

Part of the beauty of ebikes is that it's so easy to get the level of exercise you want, from not much to lots more.

If you do want more exercise, drop the PAS level one notch but try to keep the same average speed. Or perhaps keep the same PAS and shoot for 16+ average speed.If you don’t care about increasing exercise, just do what you’re doing. It’s all good, and no right or wrong way. It’s your bike, ride it like you want :)

But yes, doing what you’re doing is far superior to sitting on the couch.

Not only are you not sitting on the couch, but your also not snacking on beer and chips. ;)

This indirectly hits upon an observation I had a few months ago...

When you pedal, the work you are doing varies depending on the position of the cranks, being close to zero when the cranks are at 12 and 6 o'clock and close to the maximum when the cranks are at 9 and 3 o'clock.

I wonder why no PAS system modulates that and provides more assistance when the cranks are at 12 and 6 and less assistance when the cranks are at 9 and 3. Given that momentum is so important to the operation of a bike, I suspect that this would have a pretty impressive effect on efficiency and also perceived pedal effort when pedaling uphill.

Reactions: JRA
I wonder why no PAS system modulates that and provides more assistance when the cranks are at 12 and 6 and less assistance when the cranks are at 9 and 3. Given that momentum is so important to the operation of a bike, I suspect that this would have a pretty impressive effect on efficiency and also perceived pedal effort when pedaling uphill.

This is the reason why I don't use PAS on my road bikes and just have a throttle I can set to whatever watt output I want. The motors constant/consistent output covers the dead spots nicely. If I am climbing steep loose gravel sometimes at those points the front motor wheel will slip a little until I get past the t and bdc's and my rear wheel traction takes hold again. Ebikes as you say are all about momentum as you say and keeping the assist and human pedaling at a consistent output is very efficient. It doesn't hurt to work on your spin though as you are riding and that is easier on an eBike than a regular bike. Problem is I don't use clip less much these days.

This indirectly hits upon an observation I had a few months ago...

When you pedal, the work you are doing varies depending on the position of the cranks, being close to zero when the cranks are at 12 and 6 o'clock and close to the maximum when the cranks are at 9 and 3 o'clock.

In consideration of gearing with any bike: Changing gears enables a rider to maintain an optimal cadence when encountering nominal elevation variances. That, along with a combination of cadence and torque assist, allows the ebike rider to maximize efficiency. A combination of cadence and torque assistance, like the sensor system on a Juiced CCX, balances efficiency with a very natural feel.

Last edited:
If you do want more exercise, drop the PAS level one notch but try to keep the same average speed. Or perhaps keep the same PAS and shoot for 16+ average speed.If you don’t care about increasing exercise, just do what you’re doing. It’s all good, and no right or wrong way. It’s your bike, ride it like you want :)

But yes, doing what you’re doing is far superior to sitting on the couch.
Far superior indeed! And in fact it is possible to expend an equal effort per minute whether on an ebike or on a non-ebike.

Back