Gen2 Bosch tools for dongle

Christopher85083

I just bought a dongle and Gen2 tools for my Haibike xduro 29.

If anybody in the Phoenix area wants to use the tools for their dongle install, let me know. I'm not selling them or giving them away, just sharing them if you don't want to buy them yourself. They were about $43 USD.

I'm still waiting for the right dongle to arrive from Germany; the US bikes have a different limiter than the Euro spec bikes, and the part # is slightly different.

I had the 32.14 installed for a short period and wanted to hear someone else's experience with it. I posted briefly in another thread about it. I wonder if the small wire pins it comes with made good contact, if not it could have been the cause of my unit being glitchy.

Christopher,
I'm the proud owner of a new Felt Sporte in Philadelphia, and I also want to deregulate with the ASA eSpeed B25.14 dongle. Also, I need the correct tools for my Bosch Gen2 motor. Can you specify exactly which tools you purchased? Wish I lived in the Phoenix area... :) Also, did you install the dongle yet, and if so, how's it working for you.

Thanks.

I think the one you want is the B32.14, not the B25. The B32 is for the US market, but from everything I have experienced and read, they are both a little glitchy. You just need a crank puller is all. It threads into the crank and pushes the crank arm off of the crankshaft.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists) - that one will work, but I'm sure your LBS will have one that works, too. It's not a Bosch specific tool.

Thanks for putting me straight on the B25/B25 distinction. BTW, is yours now installed? How glitchy is "a little"? Do you have regrets, or are you a happy speed pedelec camper?

Btw when pulling the crank, there is a washer that may stay in place when remove the screw that holds the crank on. Make sure to get the washer out otherwise the crank puller won't work and possibly strip the threads on the crank.

I finally got my B32.14 dongle installed. I already had a crank puller that fit and the install took about 10 minutes. As I posted in another thread it is a little glitchy, but over all am happy with it. The glitches I'm experiencing is, at speeds over 20 mph every once in a while the display will flash an incorrect speed for a fraction of a second. I can live with that. Also I can't seem to enter programming mode as the American versions have the walk assist disabled and you need that button to enter programming mode. I can sprint to 40+ mph and sustain 30 mph now under power assist the whole time.

I got walk assist enabled on both my bikes (active line) when the LBS (Motostrano SF bay area) did firmware updates. That said, I don't use that button to get into programming mode, perhaps I am misunderstanding. Holding the the reset and info together for 3 seconds enters a mode for adjusting wheel size, clock and various things. Are you talking about a different programing mode?

I finally got my B32.14 dongle installed. I already had a crank puller that fit and the install took about 10 minutes. As I posted in another thread it is a little glitchy, but over all am happy with it. The glitches I'm experiencing is, at speeds over 20 mph every once in a while the display will flash an incorrect speed for a fraction of a second. I can live with that. Also I can't seem to enter programming mode as the American versions have the walk assist disabled and you need that button to enter programming mode. I can sprint to 40+ mph and sustain 30 mph now under power assist the whole time.

How big is the battery and at 30mph what distance are you able to achieve? (assuming full assist)

How big is the battery and at 30mph what distance are you able to achieve? (assuming full assist)
The weather hasn't been cooperating lately and other projects have limited my time.. So I haven't been able to put a lot of miles on it just yet. Honestly I don't plan on using 3rd and 4th levels of assist for much more than a few miles at a time. And as far as battery size it's just the standard Bosch 400 w/hr.

I also have a 400 wh battery, and when I was trying the B25, I could average 23 mph for 23 miles. Any faster than that and I'd lose range, and any slower than that I would gain range. Top speed I hit was 34.6 mph, but that wasn't sustainable - normal cruising speed for me in relatively flat Phoenix was about 26-28 mph.

The drivetrain is limited to 350 watts, with a 550 watt peak output. A chip won't change that, all the chip does is eliminate the 15 or 20 mph factory cutoff.

My FS RX stops boosting at 19mph. Would changing any settings (wheel size?) get me the 1mph I'm missing?
How does a digital system be off by 5%?

Nope. The limit is 20 mph, but the drivetrain will stop boosting somewhere between 18.5 and 19.5, in my experience. Nothing will get you boosting up to 20 mph unless you manipulate the speed signal somehow.

That's BS (by the bike makers, all my 20 mph limit bikes have stopped short of 20mph).
Why the "margin for error" on digital setup? Makes 0 sense. ?
And from a customer satisfaction standpoint it's a silly oversite (if that, I'm guessing there's a reason) when 20mph is 'barely' enough to keep some of us happy. Not enough for many.
LOVE the bike in every way but every ride I'm a little annoyed that it's 19mph and not 20. LOL

Ok, so if I can't get speed electronically, how do I make it so I can peddle this thing above 20mph? As is there is so much drag (motor? gear?) peddling above 20mph that I really can't get over 20.5ish peddling as hard as I can. It's not undergeared , were I'd be spinning like crazy. It's almost like it's overgeared. I can't push the pedals hard enough for very long. Too much muscle effort relative to the cardio effort. I can't imagine it's geared that high, so it must be working against the motor at that point??????????????
would going to a larger sprocket in front make it easier to pedal above the assist level?

Mucho gracias ;)

Last edited:
Back