Garmin Edge (or Wahoo Elemnt Roam) and Specialized Turbo e-bikes [RESOLVED]

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
So far, everything has been so nice and easy with my Vado and Vado SL:
  • A TCD(-w) on the handlebars, giving me all quick ride information;
  • A smartphone on the bars, running Mapy.cz for route planning and GPS navitation; and BLEvo for motor tuning, all e-bike/ride parameters and ride recording, with data export to Strava and Excel.
It has been so easy until I recollected my smartphone experiences during last two cold seasons: It is very hard to operate a smartphone when you're riding in gloves... :) Another matter is any long ride required recharging the smartphone from a battery pack: a complication.

Hence, a thought: Perhaps I could replace the smartphone with a Garmin Edge?
  • It has to be a button version. A touch-screen version is of no interest to me;
  • The Garmin model has to be able to understand I rode off the route, and to re-plan the route instantly (as any good car GPS navigation would do; Mapy.cz do it actually)
  • Possibly large screen and loud audio
  • Connectivity with the TCU: What Data Fields do you think are the best for Spesh e-bikes?
I ask you for a good advice.

Last edited:
only when you needed to open a map you would need your finger
Could you elaborate on that, Steve? What do you exactly mean by "opening a map"?
If you are telling me I could operate the 1030+ in gloves, then the Garmin Edge Explore is the answer: Half the price, only all roadie related workout features are not there.

Could you elaborate on that, Steve? What do you exactly mean by "opening a map"?
If you are telling me I could operate the 1030+ in gloves, then the Garmin Edge Explore is the answer: Half the price, only all roadie related workout features are not there.
the screen iis ok to save a ride and choose power off with gloves. but ifyiu want a map you need finger. for my daily rides I can do it all with gloves. but the explore can be buggy. it was ok but it seems to have gotten worse and the battery life can really go fast sometimes. its not as loud as the 1030+ the 520 was really quiet. using buttons is such a clumsy thing and it takes a lot of them to get around.

The Edge 1030+ buttons are very small so using with gloves might be a problem. I've not tried to match it fully with the Creo so I'm not sure what fields it can grab from the bike's internal info. There are touch-screen gloves/fingers. I don't think it talks but I've not really used Navigation. I know its beeps are NOT very loud but I am a bit hard of hearing.

been hearing good things about this guy.

It looks the Explore is missing Power data, and no Strava Live Segments (I'd like to have both features).
1030+ is prohibitively expensive. Any thoughts on the 830? (I know the limitations of the 530: the thing goes crazy if you ride off your route).

@ava1ar: I know you ride an e-bike of another brand but you have bought the Edge Explore. I'd be happy if you could report your experiences after several days of using the Explore here. Positive and negative experiences if possible. I'm not in hurry but the navigation capabilities of the Explore are of interest to me.

I use a Garmin 1030+ for navigation and ride data recording with the phone put away for backup. I don't use the e-bike screens other than the power meter. I didn't use the TCD that came with the Vado SL and after the first couple of rides I left it at home. This chart from a CDN shop is a good comparison of the Garmin models and features. The 830 looks pretty good. It shows the Edge Explorer as not connecting to e-bikes but I can't confirm.

For some reason the link highlight shows the old models but they don't show on the chart.

Last edited:
This is a good review of the Edge Explore:

It's also a good site to follow.

Searching the forums using the name you listed:

The Garmin Edge Explore needs an IQ app to connect to a Creo (and Vado SL). Ebike Field by JanCapek.

This is a good review of the Edge Explore:

It's also a good site to follow.

Searching the forums using the name you listed:

The Garmin Edge Explore needs an IQ app to connect to a Creo (and Vado SL). Ebike Field by JanCapek.
All of that gives me a lot of thinking :) My brother's 530 seems to experience problems after he rode off the selected route. The Explore has no barometric altimeter, no power meter data, etc. Perhaps the 830 could be the answer...

You should look at the Wahoo Element Roam. Works great on my Creo, the Wahoo system is more intuitive than Garmin’s.
If you say it works with Creo that is a good thing. Does Wahoo work with Strava?

I got around some of the limitations of the Garmin 530 buttons by adding a remote.

This allows me to change pages/views, and start/stop a ride recording without taking my hands (gloved or not) off of the grips. No need to stop.
That said I agree, the 530 is not the best choice at all to create routes on the fly/whilst out riding already. A touch screen would be best for that.
So if you plan routes at home on a PC etc a 530 is great, but if you want to do that on the fly an 830/1030 would be better.
A friend has the Karoo 2 and he likes it a lot except for the fact it uses Open Maps which causes him problems. He says they are responsive to queries/questions/comments though. Also an issue with elevation sometimes I think.

Last edited:
he likes it a lot except for the fact it uses Open Maps which causes him problems.
Interesting. Mapy.cz app uses Open Maps and they prove very well in my region. I only don't know how good Karoo 2 is with respect to e-bike connectivity.

Interesting. Mapy.cz app uses Open Maps and they prove very well in my region. I only don't know how good Karoo 2 is with respect to e-bike connectivity.
This is 3 months old, but don't hold your breath...

I got around some of the limitations of the Garmin 530 buttons by adding a remote.

This allows me to change pages/views, and start/stop a ride recording without taking my hands (gloved or not) off of the grips. No need to stop.
That said I agree, the 530 is not the best choice at all to create routes on the fly/whilst out riding already. A touch screen would be best for that.
So if you plan routes at home on a PC etc a 530 is great, but if you want to do that on the fly an 830/1030 would be better.
A friend has the Karoo 2 and he likes it a lot except for the fact it uses Open Maps which causes him problems. He says they are responsive to queries/questions/comments though. Also an issue with elevation sometimes I think.
A name and link to that remote might be helpful. Thanks.

Back