Future of E-MTB - discussion with product managers of top companies

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
E-MTB's have taken off in a big way and the companies are witnessing 200% growth. Every bike company is now offering top-notch E-MTB's as part of their main portfolio.

Weight plays a significant role in how a bike handles on the trail. Companies like Orbea have worked closely with Shimano to introduce their own version of the EP8 motor and offer a lightweight E-bike.
Specialized now offers a full line up of SL platform (super light). Most bike companies now offer fully integrated batteries + motors that are almost indistinguishable from non E-bike counterparts.

Product managers of various manufacturing companies share their thoughts and feedback they have received from journalists and riders.

The next step for middrive systems is integrating motor into gearbox. One company has already done this.

Valeo Smart e-Bike System city bike.jpg, by Valeo

For Bosch and Brose it is most likely partnership with Pinion or Rohloff. Shimano has enough IGH expertise to do it themselves.

The next step for middrive systems is integrating motor into gearbox. One company has already done this.

Valeo Smart e-Bike System city bike.jpg, by Valeo

For Bosch and Brose it is most likely partnership with Pinion or Rohloff. Shimano has enough IGH expertise to do it themselves.

I wish you were right, but suspect mainstream integrated gearboxes are a few generations away. Interesting recent discussion

My gut feeling is low weight will be the battle ground for the next few years , and unfortunately internal gearboxes miss out on that battle .

My LBS had both a Turbo Levo SL Comp and Turbo Levo Comp in stock when I made my purchase. I test rode both. Both are sweet bikes. I went with the Levo Comp which was approximately 10 lbs. heavier (49 lbs. total). The Levo Comp offered the 2.1 Brose S motor versus the 1.1 Brose S (SL model) and a 700wh battery versus the 320wh battery (SL model). Battery and motor are sacrificed on the Comp SL to lower the weight. I ride 4 months out of the year in Colorado which has long uphill sections and 30 mile plus rides. I personally need the extra power at times and longer ride capacity battery. I can easily keep up with the lighter more nimble bikes on the downhill sections.

With all that being said, I'd take a look at a lighter EMTB if power and battery life is spared.

Last edited:
It's good seeing all the product managers' takes. Weight has long been an area of focus in cycling, with way too much attention imo. But some framemakers say screw it and are making bikes they like. I think Surly has done a good job of making weight a distant second. I also think it's a category where the customer thinks they may want lighter weight, but in fact they would be better off with a more robust bike with thicker walls as one PM noted.

One area where they all could focus on is making a light, but modular battery. That way they can sell upgrades and the bikes can be made light or longer range. But getting the integration right is important.

We are seeing alot more emtb's around and of course no enforcement with regards to classes 1-3 on trails. Everyone on the internet talks tough, but a 1 on 1 physical confrontation with bodily injury has yet to occur in my experience.

That said, I would focus on weight distribution and/or reduce the overall weight. For beginners it is a non-starter, but more advanced mountain riders will notice it and shy away from emtbs until the manufacturers get it right. The good thing is that they (manufacturers) are working on it, and with increasing emtb's on trails, it is only a matter of time.

It's good seeing all the product managers' takes. Weight has long been an area of focus in cycling, with way too much attention imo. But some framemakers say screw it and are making bikes they like. I think Surly has done a good job of making weight a distant second. I also think it's a category where the customer thinks they may want lighter weight, but in fact they would be better off with a more robust bike with thicker walls as one PM noted.

One area where they all could focus on is making a light, but modular battery. That way they can sell upgrades and the bikes can be made light or longer range. But getting the integration right is important.
Well said. I want to go on that 3.5 hour ride, have a good level of assistance and not be stressed by my battery range. Deliver that, and you can keep the 4 kilos of weight savings. Of course, if there is some tech breakthrough, bring it on but I agree, weight saving alone, is barking up the wrong tree in a mountainous environment.

Back