Front Sprocket upgrade

Hi Jay! I signed up to this forum just to see if you were successful in changing the chainring? I was researching this mod for the same reasons. It looks like a cassette change to an 11 tooth gear would make a bigger difference but cost a lot more and be a bit more difficult to complete(though their is a great YouTube tutorial).
It will give you all the speed you need( BTDT)

It will give you all the speed you need( BTDT)
Changing from the 14 x 28 freewheel (it is not a cassette on the Himiway), was easy. It only takes 1/2 hour at most to do the job from start to finish. I actually got a freewheel removal tool but it wouldn't fit over the connection for the power cable to the motor. You can't get the wheel nut over the connection, therefore you can't get the tool where it's supposed to go unless you cut the cable. Then you'd need to splice it back together after, which is not necessary. I changed it exactly as it shows in this YouTube video from the Haidong Bike YT channel. Haidong Bike makes Himiway. Be sure to put a coating of Never-Sieze on the threads before you put the new freewheel on. Mine was bone dry with no lubricant at all and over time would likely corrode and maybe sieze on. Don't use grease because it can dry out.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oPSRQmpjWE&list=PL2PuAh4tblWEqFNxXKfkGOXJcAGQVkcT4&index=109

Attachments

• Capture How to Replace a Freewheel of an eBike.JPG
    Capture How to Replace a Freewheel of an eBike.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Back