Front Derailleur to guide chain or not?

MWRider

Region
USA
I had read that the chain can / will jump off of the chainring. It was suggested that the front derailleur be kept in place as a chain guide. I did this on my wife’s Ebike kit build by adding an adjustable cable stop mounted on the seat post tube. Do not know if this is needed. What do you think?

Attachments

• EF708B7D-9297-4A0B-AEEE-87F75FD9E239.jpeg
    EF708B7D-9297-4A0B-AEEE-87F75FD9E239.jpeg
    527 KB · Views: 163
@Rome, Thanks! I just figured that since it was already there and that I could not find my chain breaker, I would leave it on and utilize it. Especially, since the first one is my wife’s bike and she is not so good on shifting etiquette. Since I put together the Ebike, she likes riding. Hills used to slow her down a lot. $890 for the kit and the battery. Already had the bike and wanted to keep it reversable in case she did not like it.

@Rome, Thanks! I just figured that since it was already there and that I could not find my chain breaker, I would leave it on and utilize it. Especially, since the first one is my wife’s bike and she is not so good on shifting etiquette. Since I put together the Ebike, she likes riding. Hills used to slow her down a lot. $890 for the kit and the battery. Already had the bike and wanted to keep it reversable in case she did not like it.
Good idea and cost nothing to leave it. Im a little OCD with my bike builds and in the situation where it applies have used the following instead of the derailler:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZTLV9W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also use narrow/wide chainrings and/or clutched deraillers where appropriate.

You can drop a chain under many circumstances with your chain straight and with less than 9 speeds in the rear.

They make chainguides for a reason

Biktrix says they never had chain dropped out of their test bike and production bikes.
The chain dropped out of my bike when I was on the biggest gear on the cassette, because of the mud gaurd that I installed. It is true because I heard a raucous and at that time I thought my bike was falling apart. I notch the fender and it's alright now. I just rode 17 miles literally trying to make it fail .
So on my bike it's not required.
But I still think it should have one as standard equipment regardless.
Your first pic seems to show a narrow/wide chainring which helps to alleviate chain drop. I have two ebikes with narrow/wide chainrings which have never had the chain drop (I did get chaindrop on one before going to the narrow/wide chainring, it took about 4k miles to happen).

Back