Front Basket? (For a cat)

Mtl_Biker

I'm trying to find a front basket that can easily be attached and removed that I could fit on my Giant Explore E+1 GTS... Everything I've seen so far, mounts to the handlebars somehow and I really don't think that would work on my bike. There are just TOO MANY things already on the handlebars... EVO display, iPhone mount, additional (besides the one wired into the bike) headlight, horn, etc. And I'd have to order this online so there's really no way of trying before buying.

Looking for suggestions.

Believe it or not, I'm trying to carry a cat. On a 35km each way commute.

(You probably don't care about the details but one cat is way too aggressive with the others - I have 4 total - and I cannot leave him loose at home when I go to work. There are fights that result in torn skin and blood. So I've been taking him to work with me every day and he loves it. He's the center of attention and he loves people. When I take him home I put him in the master bedroom so there are no fights. I first tried one of the hard pet carriers which I attached on top of my rear rack. It terrified him! First because it was noisy, and second because he couldn't see me... could only see backwards to where we'd been. So I'm thinking an open basket in the front, with a safety harness to make sure doesn't jump out.)

Failing that, I might resort to an open basket on top of my rear rack, but then again the cat would only see my back and probably wouldn't be as comforted. A basket in the front, so he could look forward or look back at me, seems like what would work best.

Until I find a better solution, I'm forced to drive my car every day so that I can take the cat with me.

I'm trying to find a front basket that can easily be attached and removed that I could fit on my Giant Explore E+1 GTS... Everything I've seen so far, mounts to the handlebars somehow and I really don't think that would work on my bike. There are just TOO MANY things already on the handlebars... EVO display, iPhone mount, additional (besides the one wired into the bike) headlight, horn, etc. And I'd have to order this online so there's really no way of trying before buying.

Looking for suggestions.

(You probably don't care about the details but one cat is way too aggressive with the others - I have 4 total - and I cannot leave him loose at home when I go to work. There are fights that result in torn skin and blood. So I've been taking him to work with me every day and he loves it. He's the center of attention and he loves people. When I take him home I put him in the master bedroom so there are no fights. I first tried one of the hard pet carriers which I attached on top of my rear rack. It terrified him! First because it was noisy, and second because he couldn't see me... could only see backwards to where we'd been. So I'm thinking an open basket in the front, with a safety harness to make sure doesn't jump out.)

Failing that, I might resort to an open basket on top of my rear rack, but then again the cat would only see my back and probably wouldn't be as comforted. A basket in the front, so he could look forward or look back at me, seems like what would work best.

Until I find a better solution, I'm forced to drive my car every day so that I can take the cat with me.
How about adding a front touring rack? There are many available for different types of bikes, you just have to target your search to find the one that will fit your particular bike. Then add an open basket to the rack.

A rear rack mounted solution might be a pet basket with a cage lid like this. I don't know how much your cat weighs but Wald say do not to fit their front racks with support struts to a suspension fork.

Last edited:

Looking for suggestions.

What about this front carrier and fix a wicker basket or box

How about adding a front touring rack? There are many available for different types of bikes, you just have to target your search to find the one that will fit your particular bike. Then add an open basket to the rack.
Thanks. My bike is at home (I'm at work, with the cat!) and I'll have to check again when I get home but I'm pretty sure there are no bosses on the front of the bike for attaching a rack. But if I could find one, it would be a good solution.

I'd recommend http://www.doggyride.com . I have one of their earlier pet carriers and found them most excellent. The newer designs are even better if they can be made to fit your bike.

Front baskets for pets are better because you can see what your pet is doing and won't be as likely to dump the bike if the pet moves suddenly -- which all too often can happen.

If you look around there are a number of other pet-specific front basket carriers that will likely work for your cat.

A rear rack mounted solution might be a pet basket with a cage lid like this. I don't know how much your cat weighs but Wald say do not to fit their front racks with support struts to a suspension fork.
That Wald basket looks like ends of the legs go through the front axle... is that right? But the two brackets at the top certainly won't fit on my handlebars. Plus my bike DOES have a front suspension fork. The search for a solution is still on.

What about this front carrier and fix a wicker basket or box
That front carrier looks really good, but... my bike not only has front (and rear) fenders, but also a front headlight which is mounted at that cross-over piece between the forks and right above the fender. I don't think this will fit, unfortunately. But the Canadian distributor lists some dealers in my area so I'll call around to see if anyone has this rack. I'd need to see it in real life to know if it can be made to fit.

Thanks!

That Wald basket looks like ends of the legs go through the front axle... is that right? But the two brackets at the top certainly won't fit on my handlebars. Plus my bike DOES have a front suspension fork. The search for a solution is still on.
Correct, which is why it is not suitable for a suspension fork.

I'd recommend http://www.doggyride.com . I have one of their earlier pet carriers and found them most excellent. The newer designs are even better if they can be made to fit your bike.

Front baskets for pets are better because you can see what your pet is doing and won't be as likely to dump the bike if the pet moves suddenly -- which all too often can happen.

If you look around there are a number of other pet-specific front basket carriers that will likely work for your cat.
Now that certainly does look interesting! They have a Britch front or rear universal rack which might just fit. I'll try to get accurate specs with the dimensions and then measure the bike. And if that rack could fit I think it would be pretty easy to adapt some kind of basket to it.

Looking for suggestions.

Please post what you find.
I see many dog riding in baskets but no cats. My cat would totally freak out even with a harness. And he likes rounded padded baskets.

Please post what you find.
I see many dog riding in baskets but no cats. My cat would totally freak out even with a harness. And he likes rounded padded baskets.
The cat in question LOVES riding in the car and loves coming to work with me. All I have to do is dangle his harness near the front door and he comes running. And the moment I put on the harness he starts to purr. I put him in the car, remove the leash from the harness, and he sits up on my left thigh with his front paws on the door armrest so he can look out the window. And purrs. And stays like that, well-behaved, all the way to/from work.

But when it comes to to the bicycle, when I touch it he goes running away and hides. He HATED his experiences riding in the hard carrier on the back rack. Especially his last ride home... it was so windy and noisy that even my ears hurt from the wind noise and the gusts were so strong that they almost knocked me flat a couple of times. And the ride takes an hour. Since then he won't let me bring him anywhere near the bike.

Trek's 'Electra' brand sells a variety of baskets. With a liner bag they work great, and nothing attaches to the bars.
Here's the one I setup for our late pomeranian 'Gracie'. She loved going as well, the last of three of them, now all long gone. So sad. 😔

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

A committed cat rescuer here...
My favored was the discontinued Origin8 Cargo Light
A nice nylon bag that doesn't get the vibrations or bumps that a solid metal frame mount does. Deep enough for mouser to dive down and relax or even scout the territory with most body mass still in that nice hammockScreen Shot 2020-07-16 at 1.03.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-16 at 1.01.48 PM.png
cat pan.jpg

@Thomas Jaszewski - Too bad that's not made anymore. Looks like it might have worked.

Black cats are amazing! I have two of them. Plus an orange tabby and a brown and white Siamese mix. The cat I want to transport (black cat, Rambo) was abandoned in the woods near where I live. We know he was on his own for at least two months and very likely longer. He was seen eating mice and chipmunks. He was caught by a neighbor just two days before our first snowstorm last November who then called me. Rambo had an eye infection, was covered in ticks and fleas, had several battle scars (some fresh) and hadn't been neutered. We got him to a vet who kept him for 4 days, got rid of the infection, treated the ticks and fleas, neutered him and inserted a chip and he came back with a clean bill of health. He hadn't had a chip and hadn't been reported missing anywhere we could find. The vet estimated he was about 3 years old. Now he's turned into one of the most affectionate cats I've ever known... he won't let me out of his sight. And if for some reason I leave while he's sleeping, as soon as he realizes I'm gone he screams his head off. "Where are you????" And he's super happy when he finds me. He sleeps on my bed always making sure he can touch part of me through the covers and early in the morning he'll come up to my face, purr and then force his way completely under the covers and then curl up against my chest and purr purr purr. And he'll stay that way for an hour.

Some nights I have to lock him in the guest bathroom overnight so that the other cats can have a turn sleeping with me. And they completely surround me so that I can't move. And they too purr purr purr.

I was not at all a cat fan up until about 3 years ago... in fact I might admit to having been a cat hater. It's really because I'd never gotten to know a cat before and having had dogs in my youth, I never imagined that a cat could be affectionate, so incredibly smart and so clean. Wonderful creatures!

Too bad that's not made anymore.
I found my last one, lightly used, with diligent searching two months ago. Saw a new one somewhere last week. But it was priced beyond the full retail of 2 years ago.

@Thomas Jaszewski - Too bad that's not made anymore. Looks like it might have worked.

Black cats are amazing! I have two of them. Plus an orange tabby and a brown and white Siamese mix. The cat I want to transport (black cat, Rambo) was abandoned in the woods near where I live. We know he was on his own for at least two months and very likely longer. He was seen eating mice and chipmunks. He was caught by a neighbor just two days before our first snowstorm last November who then called me. Rambo had an eye infection, was covered in ticks and fleas, had several battle scars (some fresh) and hadn't been neutered. We got him to a vet who kept him for 4 days, got rid of the infection, treated the ticks and fleas, neutered him and inserted a chip and he came back with a clean bill of health. He hadn't had a chip and hadn't been reported missing anywhere we could find. The vet estimated he was about 3 years old. Now he's turned into one of the most affectionate cats I've ever known... he won't let me out of his sight. And if for some reason I leave while he's sleeping, as soon as he realizes I'm gone he screams his head off. "Where are you????" And he's super happy when he finds me. He sleeps on my bed always making sure he can touch part of me through the covers and early in the morning he'll come up to my face, purr and then force his way completely under the covers and then curl up against my chest and purr purr purr. And he'll stay that way for an hour.

Some nights I have to lock him in the guest bathroom overnight so that the other cats can have a turn sleeping with me. And they completely surround me so that I can't move. And they too purr purr purr.

I was not at all a cat fan up until about 3 years ago... in fact I might admit to having been a cat hater. It's really because I'd never gotten to know a cat before and having had dogs in my youth, I never imagined that a cat could be affectionate, so incredibly smart and so clean. Wonderful creatures!
Growing up with a significant family, my great grandmother (born in the 1800's and lived to be 109) always had stories from life to tell. She went to work at the age of 12 in a coat factory... I digress... anyway from my earliest years she pretty much raised us to dislike cats. Really to never trust a cat. She told a story of how her baby's breath was stolen by a cat. The baby died in it's crib and there was a cat on the windowsill at the time. She really believed this old wives' tale and there was no challenging it. We know today that babies die of SIDS, but in her day people believed what they had to. Kind of like we believe the torque numbers of ebike manufactures😂

The distrust of cats never completely went away for me. When I was 20 I had a roommate with a really nice, lovable cat. I ~liked the cat, buy never fully trusted it. Nature vs nurture.

I enjoyed reading your account of life with your pets. Good for you getting past your dislike. I've had many, many dogs in my life and I'm currently struggling with a decision today about my rough collie who has cancer.
IMAG1106.jpg

Back