Front Basket? (For a cat)

Growing up with a significant family, my great grandmother (born in the 1800's and lived to be 109) always had stories from life to tell. She went to work at the age of 12 in a coat factory... I digress... anyway from my earliest years she pretty much raised us to dislike cats. Really to never trust a cat. She told a story of how her baby's breath was stolen by a cat. The baby died in it's crib and there was a cat on the windowsill at the time. She really believed this old wives' tale and there was no challenging it. We know today that babies die of SIDS, but in her day people believed what they had to. Kind of like we believe the torque numbers of ebike manufactures😂

The distrust of cats never completely went away for me. When I was 20 I had a roommate with a really nice, lovable cat. I ~liked the cat, buy never fully trusted it. Nature vs nurture.

I enjoyed reading your account of life with your pets. Good for you getting past your dislike. I've had many, many dogs in my life and I'm currently struggling with a decision today about my rough collie who has cancer.
View attachment 59093
If anyone had asked me 3-4 years ago if I'd ever have a cat, the answer would have been a resounding NO! I was a dog lover. Even though I hadn't had a dog for many years now. I would NEVER have a cat!

I was going to tell about how I got my first cat, Boris, but the story would end up being too long. But the bottom line is that I did get him and he totally changed my opinion of cats. It was amazing. And to this day, three years later, he still follows me around, jumps in my lap, purrs, wants to be around me. I could tell you stories.

Anyway, I got my forth cat (all were from the SPCA) knowing she only had about 4-6 months to live. (Another long story.) But I thought she'd be better with me than living the rest of her life in a cage or being euthanized. And I thought I would be able to be tough and would be able to handle her eventual death. She lasted 7 months, but during that time she was really happy, and in my strong belief, very grateful to me for having given her a loving home. When she died, I was not tough at all. I cried like a baby. It was very difficult. And afterwards I was sitting outside at home, drinking too much and still crying, when Rambo appeared out of nowhere. It was weird. And then it took an additional month before a neighbor caught him. And I've now had him since November. As I said earlier, he's extremely affectionate, but wants to be the one and only cat in the family. And trying all the suggested methods to get the cats to get along, he and Boris keep fighting. So badly that there's torn skin and blood. So that's why I'm trying to keep them separated and take Rambo to work with me.

I've probably talked too much about this stuff but I wanted you to know that I understand the pain you must be going through with your Collie. And I feel for you.

I wish you the best.

Our pets never disagree with us, they spend more time than any human, and so we grow even more attached to them than any person. Sure, they're not a human person, but it feels like it when they go. It has to be one of the most heartbreaking thing that can happen.

We've lost all three of ours over the past few years. Our entire lifestyle was centered around having our three dogs around. Now the kids have grown and gone, and the dogs are all gone, and it is so darn quiet around you can hear a pin drop. We'll see about another dog or cat.

Our favorite dog breed is Pomeranian, we also like Boxers, Retrievers, Shepherds, French Bulldogs, and Pugs. Some of these are little smarter than the others. LOL
I've wanted a maine-coon cat since I can remember. We had a female growing up and they're really fantastic pets. The females get to be 12-15lbs, and the males up to 20 or more. I think the photo above is in the 24-25lb range. That's twice the size of your little white Pomeranian.

Good luck and let us know what you work out.

Gracie...RIP She was with us for nearly 18 years.

006.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

A committed cat rescuer here...
My favored was the discontinued Origin8 Cargo Light
A nice nylon bag that doesn't get the vibrations or bumps that a solid metal frame mount does. Deep enough for mouser to dive down and relax or even scout the territory with most body mass still in that nice hammockView attachment 59083View attachment 59084View attachment 59085

What is it about cats and round containers?!! My Rusty used to curl up in the bathroom sink, at least until he out grew it.
I would be great to be able to take a cat on a bike ride.

This one attaches with a bracket bolted to the frame's head tube, so it does not swing with the handlebars.

Basil Pluto Basket

Basil Pluto - dog bicycle basket - front - brown
Basil Pluto Pet Basket with Caged Lid--Wonder if Rudy or Patty Jo would enjoy this? Dog Bike Basket, Bike Baskets, Bicycle Makeover, Basket Sport, Bicycle Accessories, Best Dogs, Basil, Pets, Cycling
Thank you!

When I get home after work tonight I'll try to measure the head tube diameter... the Basil site says it fits 30-50mm head tubes. And I wish they'd show a close up photo of the mounting so I could tell if it would interfere with my headlight, etc.

Thank you!

When I get home after work tonight I'll try to measure the head tube diameter... the Basil site says it fits 30-50mm head tubes. And I wish they'd show a close up photo of the mounting so I could tell if it would interfere with my headlight, etc.
Screenshot_20200718-165824_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Best picture of the hardware. Might help a little.

View attachment 59381

Best picture of the hardware. Might help a little.
Thanks very much for that photo. With that, and the specs on their site, unfortunately my conclusion is that it won't fit on my Explore E+1. The head tube is just too big and chunky... measured at 63mm side-to-side, and front to back won't work at all because the top tube and tube holding the battery (what's that tube called?) butt up against the head tube. This carrier would fit on my accoustic bike, but there's no way that I'll be commuting 35km each way in the summer heat on that bike. So it's back to the drawing board with this idea.

i-nKxMRLm.jpg

I posted earlier about the guy cycling with his cat and here's a video of them when he got a new basket.
It's on a front rack. Video

Personally, it's the best pet basket I've seen. I wish my cat would want to ride with me.

Back