Frey

Grace emailed me today that after I place my order it will take 45 days to get the bike assembled and ready to ship. The shipping time clock, air or sea, doesn’t start until after that 45 days. Bummer. That’s a total wait time of two months by air or three by sea. It makes a Rize or M2S bike with lesser components look like a better deal. Biktrix charges $1,100 more (after counting shipping) for a comparable bike to Frey. The problem is that I need to sell my current ebike in order to afford the new one, and my current bike is my only form of transportation. If I go with Frey I’m left on public transportation and Uber for two months. Tough call.

Grace emailed me today that after I place my order it will take 45 days to get the bike assembled and ready to ship. The shipping time clock, air or sea, doesn’t start until after that 45 days. Bummer. That’s a total wait time of two months by air or three by sea. It makes a Rize or M2S bike with lesser components look like a better deal. Biktrix charges $1,100 more (after counting shipping) for a comparable bike to Frey. The problem is that I need to sell my current ebike in order to afford the new one, and my current bike is my only form of transportation. If I go with Frey I’m left on public transportation and Uber for two months. Tough call.
I hear ya,, check the FLX blade 2 looks like the best bike available
Mark

Simon, I don't necessarily need to see an unboxing, but others may find it helpful. I'm curious about how it fits smaller/larger riders given the universal frame size. Also nice to see how the bikes look in various colors.

Mark, looking forward to your insights.

Simon, I don't necessarily need to see an unboxing, but others may find it helpful. I'm curious about how it fits smaller/larger riders given the universal frame size. Also nice to see how the bikes look in various colors.

Mark, looking forward to your insights.
It’s black, I’m 5 10, 200 lb, I posted a lot of pics sent to me from the factory
Best
Mark

My latest unboxing video now that I've started taking delivery of a few of these for UK-based customers. Awesome bit of kit guys. High end components, good quality, well packaged and great value.

Hey Simon, Great video of the EX unboxing. Your videos put to rest a concern many of us have about how well the bikes are packaged. You haven’t shown any openings with missing parts or damage. Have you had problems like that, and if so, how quickly are replacement parts received?
I like how the kickstand goes on so the mounting isn’t visible if you choose not to install it. It looks pretty substantial and I’m wondering if you ever find it a hindrance on aggressive downhill riding.
I also like that bright blue color. May I assume the customer picked it from the YS paint catalog? I’m going to guess that its a YS7614 or a YS7486. Am I close? For those of us choosing a custom color from the chart, it’s a bit of a challenge to imagine that small swatch of color covering your entire bike. I’d be interested to know if your customer thinks the swatch matches the actual bike color. I’m thinking he’s going to get a lot of compliments on it in any event.
Did you set up 5 levels of assistance in total or just In Eco mode? If I’m not mistaken the controller allows up to 9 levels of assist. So are there 5 in Eco and 4 in Sport?
I noticed the blue bike was upgraded to a Lyrik front fork. I did the upgrade on the AM1000 but not the EX. I probably should have done it the other way but I’m hoping the stock shock on the EX is sufficient. Is there a noticeable difference between the two when not riding extreme terrain? Since the front shock travel on the AM1000 is 160mm and the EX has 180mm I’m guessing the shocks cannot be switched between the bikes. Is that correct? Thanks for your post and your thoughts.

Simon, I think it's important to note the Eco/Sport mode on the DPC-18 display that Bafang ships with the Ultra is to provide 2 torque sensing recipes. Sport pulls the torque sensing recipe programmed on the controller for PAS 1,3,5,7,9. Eco is an alternative torque sensing recipe that overrides these settings (not sure if it can be programmed). If you use a different display like the Eggrider, 500C, or DPC-18 version without Eco/Sport it will pull the 10 torque sensing recipes programmed on the controller. While you gain 10 levels of PAS, you lose the option of having a 2 different torque sensing recipes for each of those assist levels. Having 2 torque sensing recipes may be useful for on vs. off road. I personally don't see much advantage of having 10 levels of assist since the 5 levels can be reprogrammed or re-mapped, but I realize that some prefer more granularity.

Got it yesterday, it’s not for me, thumb throttle on the left, not as powerful as I expected, not intuitive
I will sell it I think
Mark
Maybe you just have to change some settings first? I also prefer throttle on the right, but seems like everyone is more interested in trigger shifters on the right, which makes it difficult to have the throttle there. My DJ-Bikes MTB uses a cheaper shifter (which I actually prefer) and it allows me to have the throttle on the right. I wish both my bikes were setup the same, but they are quite different. :(

Last edited:
Maybe you just have to change some settings first? I also prefer throttle on the right, but seems like everyone is more interested in trigger shifters on the right, which makes it difficult to have the throttle there. Why JD Bikes uses a cheaper shifter (which I actually prefer) and it allows me to have the throttle on the right. I wish both my bikes were setup the same, but they are quite different. :(
I have a radrover I like better then this bike, I worked on the settings but only have rode 2 miles, seems like this is not the ultra motor I have heard about
I will fool with it some more
Marl

What type of terrain are you riding? I think a mid-drive will shine more on steeper terrain and weight will be more balanced overall. You should be able to arrange the cockpit however you like if you prefer throttle on the right. Not sure if Simon can still get the Excess controller for US customers but that might be another option eventually:

I test rode 1 bike with an ultra motor, I was very disappointed til I found the setting in the panel which turned it red from green I think and full power to 28 mph,it was about the same as a stromer I thought, maybe a tad more. It was a short ride, started to rain less than a 1/2 mile. I would think it was more than a rad...

It think that is eco vs sport. My understanding is eco makes torque sensing less responsive but perhaps it also dials down the overall assist including throttle.

Back