Frey

I have an AM1000 on order as well. I think Simon would agree that a medium frame is right for you. We must have similar taste as I ordered that same color after seeing Simon’s video (originally requested matte black). May I assume that the upgrade on the battery is to a 52v17.5Ah battery? There are several AM1000 owners who have commented on the higher performance of the 52v battery. You mentioned that you’re getting an extra charger. Are you getting an another battery as well? You may never need it but it’s nice to know you can go full throttle all day if you want. I ordered mine with the fenders, lights,rack ,gear sensor, and additional battery. I’m planning to ride mostly trails but want the option for downhill and touring. If I decide I don’t the rack I can remove it. I’m sure the Yari front shock would perform just fine but I upgraded to the lyrik for the bling factor. After watching a lot of downhill videos I upgraded to a dropper seat post that I’ll want in the bike parks. I think the price for the upgrades was more than reasonable. The price for an additional 500w battery from Specialized is $1000. The 1008w battery from Frey is less than half that price. I’m not expecting much from $20 fenders but if they keep road spray off my back they’ll be good enough. Let’s post reviews when we get our bikes and here’s hoping for a speedy delivery.

Grace told me now AM1000 has two specs - basic and high end. What you ordered was the high end I believe which costs $800 more than mine.

The battery upgrade was from 48V 17.5AH to 48V 21AH. I'm not getting an extra battery because I don't think I'll need one given the range and also the fact that if I just let it sit for a long time the battery will degrade overtime (kinda like buying fruit, if you're not going to eat it fresh it'll just rot). I figured, I can order a new battery if I need it at the time.

How much was the dropper seatpost upgrade?

I initially ordered the rack and fenders, but I saw the Ibera seatpost mounted (w/ quick release) rack with a quick release bag I really liked, so I opted out of the Frey's rear rack.
RACK - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00991M8P6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A30U5R8UY24S21&psc=1
Matching BAG - https://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Bike-T...6782GE699H4&psc=1&refRID=B58NQWAWC6782GE699H4

The fenders are pretty cheap in the U.S. and there are so many options available. I haven't decided on which, but after doing some research, I'm leaning towards the:
Topeke - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GA2OR2O/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
and
Crud - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MZS4CNV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AHNZI6VWLAE6&psc=1

But then again, the cost of the fenders are pretty reasonable with Frey, so I may change my mind at the last minute...Do you know if the fenders can be installed without the rear rack or does it require rear rack to install the fender because it attaches to it? It's hard to tell from their pictures.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you guys aren't springing for the EX over the AM1000. EX just looks so much cleaner to me and I'd think the dual battery setup on the EX is ideal. Leave the spare at home when you don't need it or carry the spare in the most optimal location with no need to mess with backpacks or battery bags.
I agree. If the cost wasn't the issue, I would buy the EX. but it's way too expensive. For that money I'd probably buy the Luna X1 Ludicrous which has carbon frame and 2000W custom motor.

Grace told me now AM1000 has two specs - basic and high end. What you ordered was the high end I believe which costs $800 more than mine.

The battery upgrade was from 48V 17.5AH to 48V 21AH. I'm not getting an extra battery because I don't think I'll need one given the range and also the fact that if I just let it sit for a long time the battery will degrade overtime (kinda like buying fruit, if you're not going to eat it fresh it'll just rot). I figured, I can order a new battery if I need it at the time.

How much was the dropper seatpost upgrade?

I initially ordered the rack and fenders, but I saw the Ibera seatpost mounted (w/ quick release) rack with a quick release bag I really liked, so I opted out of the Frey's rear rack.
RACK - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00991M8P6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A30U5R8UY24S21&psc=1
Matching BAG - https://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Bike-T...6782GE699H4&psc=1&refRID=B58NQWAWC6782GE699H4

The fenders are pretty cheap in the U.S. and there are so many options available. I haven't decided on which, but after doing some research, I'm leaning towards the:
Topeke - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GA2OR2O/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
and
Crud - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MZS4CNV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AHNZI6VWLAE6&psc=1

But then again, the cost of the fenders are pretty reasonable with Frey, so I may change my mind at the last minute...Do you know if the fenders can be installed without the rear rack or does it require rear rack to install the fender because it attaches to it? It's hard to tell from their pictures.

I really like your fender and rack options and I might get that bag for my bike for touring. I don’t know if Frey will mind me telling you but the dropper post was $80 with internal cable and handlebar switch which is cheaper than I could find anywhere else. It’s probably not high end but better than nothing for descents.
I decided to purchase a second bike so my wife can accompany me on some rides. Our previous experience with “acoustic“ bikes, as Court calls them, have not gone well. Shortly after we met in 1988, we purchased identical Specialized Hard Rocks and went on a mountain biking date. It was then that I realized that enjoyable rides for me were not enjoyable for her and every ride together since had the same predictable result of her cursing and struggling to keep up and me having to stop and wait. I’m sure many other couples have had a similar experience. I think ebikes are going to be transformative in that they will allow riders of different abilities to stay together and my wife is on board with the concept.
I’ve checked with Grace and I’ll get a shipping discount for sending 2 bikes to the same address. The second bike will be a base EX model without fenders, lights, or rack. I want a second battery but I don’t like the look of the pro model with the attached external battery. Had I seen the EX without it and in a different color I might have purchased that first. The concealed battery is a big plus and will be my first choice to ride in bike parks.
Grace said Frey will let me choose my color from the YS paint catalog. I’m getting the YS 7634-1 on page 3 of the catalog. I love the color of the $16.5k S-works turbo LEVO SL and wanted something similar. Please let me know what you think of the color.

I think seat post mounted racks and fenders are so ugly, might be OK for a one used exclusively for mountain biking, but other wise, I just don't understand why people like them. Of course I want more of a commuter/trail bike.

One thing good about the seat post mounted Ibera rack is that it's quick release so I can detach it and attach it as needed without disassembling

Hi Byunbee. Your spec looks good and I think most other comments from the others have covered what I would have picked up on. Not sure why you went for the extra charger but everything else seems sensible. The rear rack shouldn’t rattle at all on the trails and is a worthwhile addition if you are commuting. The Yari would be better over the Rekon but you’ll be pleased with your spec nevertheless. The chain catcher does now come as standard.

As scout952 says it’s worth adding on an extra derailleur hanger for peace of mind, although you’d have to be very unlucky for it to break in a fall.

Good luck with it, Simon.

Hi Simon, I decided to order an EX in addition to the AM1000 I ordered last month. As I’m texting with Grace with the details of the order it dawned on me that there may be several people responding as Grace. Can it really be just Ivy and Grace handling calls? I thought you might know something about how they do business. I suspect that they have to do a lot of hand holding with hesitant buyers, myself included.
I posted the color of the bike I’m ordering and I’d welcome your opinion. I told “Grace” that I thought they should advertise the EX without the external battery. I think that’s a marketing mistake. The bike looks much cleaner and lighter without it and I would expect aggressive downhill riders like you would not want the added weight on the bike. I’m ordering the basic model with additional internal battery and a post dropper. I’m getting the bike in the YS 7634-1 color I found on page 3 of the YS paint catalog someone posted here. That’s another marketing opportunity. I can’t think of any other bike company that would allow customers to choose from hundreds of colors. I think they could sell a lot of bikes in the U.S. with a little tweaking of their sales program.
Looking forward to your comments.

I think the color looks great. I went back and forth on various colors including British Racing Green which I usually love on cars. But, when it came down to it, black is fairly unique color for a MTB based on my research and as with others, I like the stealth look. The only other bike that has black as standard color is Luna X1 which I also like. At the end of the day, everyone's color preference is different, so you have to go with what is pleasing to you.

I love this color...but the only problem is the battery case is black and they won't change it unless it's for a large order.
Decoy Titan Silver

Attachments

• Decoy2.jpg
    Decoy2.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 409
  • Decoy3.jpg
    Decoy3.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 410
  • Decoy1.jpg
    Decoy1.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 448
Paul, Not sure what color logo you ordered, but I just found out that there are only three options for the new 2020 logo design. Black w/ black decal, Blue w/ blue decal, and Yellow w/ yellow decal. Which means if you want to mix colors you'll end up with the old logo design. For example Black bike with yellow decal means old design.

Yes 4 months, was supposed to ship in January but didn’t make the last plane before new year, ordered with fenders,lights,rack and extra battery
835.00 shipping

Hi Simon, I decided to order an EX in addition to the AM1000 I ordered last month. As I’m texting with Grace with the details of the order it dawned on me that there may be several people responding as Grace. Can it really be just Ivy and Grace handling calls? I thought you might know something about how they do business. I suspect that they have to do a lot of hand holding with hesitant buyers, myself included.
I posted the color of the bike I’m ordering and I’d welcome your opinion. I told “Grace” that I thought they should advertise the EX without the external battery. I think that’s a marketing mistake. The bike looks much cleaner and lighter without it and I would expect aggressive downhill riders like you would not want the added weight on the bike. I’m ordering the basic model with additional internal battery and a post dropper. I’m getting the bike in the YS 7634-1 color I found on page 3 of the YS paint catalog someone posted here. That’s another marketing opportunity. I can’t think of any other bike company that would allow customers to choose from hundreds of colors. I think they could sell a lot of bikes in the U.S. with a little tweaking of their sales program.
Looking forward to your comments.
I think the color looks great. I went back and forth on various colors including British Racing Green which I usually love on cars. But, when it came down to it, black is fairly unique color for a MTB based on my research and as with others, I like the stealth look. The only other bike that has black as standard color is Luna X1 which I also like. At the end of the day, everyone's color preference is different, so you have to go with what is pleasing to you.
If Frey let’s every customer choose from that paint catalog we’re going to see some bold colors. I’ll post pics of mine when I get it
I think the AM1000 looks great in Simon’s glossy black metallic and
Paul, Not sure what color logo you ordered, but I just found out that there are only three options for the new 2020 logo design. Black w/ black decal, Blue w/ blue decal, and Yellow w/ yellow decal. Which means if you want to mix colors you'll end up with the old logo design. For example Black bike with yellow decal means old design.
I’m getting the AM in the glossy black metallic which helps to disguise the black battery but I wanted something different for the EX. The silver blue metallic would probably have nice pop with the yellow logo on Simon’s bike. Grace sent me a picture of the EX in dark gray with the black logo that looks okay but depending on the contrast, the blue on blue might be the one I go with if I like the design. I’ll ask Grace to send me pics of the logo options. I wasn’t fond of the new 2020 logo that’s angled on the downtube but liked the yellow on black that went parallel to the tube. The downtube is different on the EX so the same logo design won’t work.
I really like the look of the black Decoy bike. Are you considering getting one? I wasn’t aware of that bike but when I compare specifications and price to the other bikes , Frey seems to be the best value.

I've had my AM1000 for a year with 2000 trouble free miles. I just did the 200 hr maintenance on the front Yari and rear Deluxe suspension plus packed new grease in the motor(probably unnecessary). FYI, special tools for a suspension rebuild are: Cassette Lockring Tool for the forks, and for the shock a 600psi pump (standard 300psi pump won't work) and an Air Valve Adapter.

My home area has had a ton of rain this winter but I managed a dry ride a couple days ago. My typical setting for single track is PAS ECO3:

Last edited:
More photos

Attachments

• DF8D2951-3D22-4D4B-BA22-C753A6A6A4E2.jpeg
    DF8D2951-3D22-4D4B-BA22-C753A6A6A4E2.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 416
  • 78FCE853-EE08-4D8A-8D08-52B2BCE76B55.jpeg
    78FCE853-EE08-4D8A-8D08-52B2BCE76B55.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 437
  • E6D014B1-D6D7-4B3E-B90E-AA23801A7E1A.jpeg
    E6D014B1-D6D7-4B3E-B90E-AA23801A7E1A.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 431
Has anyone thought (or done) of adding a Rohloff to a Frey AM1000 or CC?

From what I've read it's much harder to do Rohloff with a full suspension, even more so with a belt drive. Requires some sort of tensioner to take up the slack. Someone on ES did a Rohloff with a HT1000 frame:

Back