Frey CC

I had no idea the bike was coming today and scheduled a BBQ/Swim with my kids and grand-daughter. My youngest played mechanic and had the CC together in about an hour. Both boys rode it and were impressed. I will take my maiden voyage tomorrow. I promise to include more pics. I played lifeguard and grillmaster and had a few beers. Didn't feel like meeting the asphalt tonight...

Attachments

• Free Ride Enjoy.jpg
    Free Ride Enjoy.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 294
I had no idea the bike was coming today and scheduled a BBQ/Swim with my kids and grand-daughter. My youngest played mechanic and had the CC together in about an hour. Both boys rode it and were impressed. I will take my maiden voyage tomorrow. I promise to include more pics. I played lifeguard and grillmaster and had a few beers. Didn't feel like meeting the asphalt tonight...
Weak. 👎

I've been reading through this thread as I consider the CC..it's great being able to learn from others experiences
@TomD
It seems that you really like the X1 controller... But I'm curious if you tried to tune the stock controller before switching it out.
Reason being is that the stock programming from bafang is notoriously known to be a bit aggressive and not tuned for smoothness or efficiency. Not saying that you may be able to adjust it to a level to match the X1.. but wondering if any attempts were made. Thanks

@Taylor57... Try some Italian urgent care in the meantime... Honey & Lemon after some hot tea

I've been reading through this thread as I consider the CC..it's great being able to learn from others experiences
@TomD
It seems that you really like the X1 controller... But I'm curious if you tried to tune the stock controller before switching it out.
Reason being is that the stock programming from bafang is notoriously known to be a bit aggressive and not tuned for smoothness or efficiency. Not saying that you may be able to adjust it to a level to match the X1.. but wondering if any attempts were made. Thanks

@Taylor57... Try some Italian urgent care in the meantime... Honey & Lemon after some hot tea
Some have tuned the Frey to be very smooth, but the X1 has other benefits. Greater efficiency and it is tuned to get 20-30% more range. It is an FOC sine wave controller. The motor should be a little quieter. Field weakening should make it faster. Increased phase amps can give it better acceleration. It is pricey for sure, but worth it when I got it for 200 bucks off a couple of months ago.

@TomD

Just got back from Urgent. They tested for Covid and Strep throat both negative. Gave me a liquid steroid and now Im drinking Italian urgent care tea!

Some have tuned the Frey to be very smooth, but the X1 has other benefits. Greater efficiency and it is tuned to get 20-30% more range. It is an FOC sine wave controller. The motor should be a little quieter. Field weakening should make it faster. Increased phase amps can give it better acceleration. It is pricey for sure, but worth it when I got it for 200 bucks off a couple of months ago.
Thanks!
I understand that the X1 may have some advantages... and that's why Watt Wagon is placed in equal consideration at this time for my fun tickets.
But often manufacturer descriptions, especially of aftermarket products are stating best case scenarios.
20 - 30% more range: is this compared to a well tuned Ultra or the stock programming... I'd guess the latter. I definitely gained at least 20% range on my BBS02B after tuning it as it was way too intrusive/aggressive.
Should be/can be quieter/faster/better acceleration... The wording speaks for itself.
Many times improvements worded in this manner can be measured on a bench test but have little real world value.
Not knocking WW at all. If they offered a frame similar to the CC I think I would be sold already. I'm just curious to hear some real world comparisons and experiences.

Any CC owners add a rear view mirror to their CC. I hate to have to cut the end of my nice brown faux leather grip to add a mirrcycle. Any other ideas? Also, there does not appear to be too much room on the handlebar to the right of the display control...

Attachments

• CC grip.jpg
    CC grip.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 224
Any CC owners add a rear view mirror to their CC. I hate to have to cut the end of my nice brown faux leather grip to add a mirrcycle. Any other ideas? Also, there does not appear to be too much room on the handlebar to the right of the display control...
I hope this means that you are feeling better!
I definitely prefer end of bar mirrors... So maybe figure a way to cut the grip cleanly.
I've been able to cut near perfect holes using the Mac Tool GASKET CUTTER and pressing it thru using a vise and a block of wood

I hope this means that you are feeling better!
I definitely prefer end of bar mirrors... So maybe figure a way to cut the grip cleanly.
I've been able to cut near perfect holes using the Mac Tool GASKET CUTTER and pressing it thru using a vise and a block of wood
Thanks Gio, I worry about that with even a clean cut, the stitching will unravel. I am going to experiment with some handebar mounts for now. Also, what are guys doing about rear bags? I have a Topeak with my Espin Sport with the little plastic adapter, but the CC rack seems maybe a bit too wide to secure the adapter arms...

And yes, feeling better. Got diagnosed with Viral Pharangitis and given a steroid. (tested negative for covid and strep) Feel much better today at least I can swallow. Doc wants me to take it easy. I'm planning my maiden voyage tomorrow. Charging the battery as I type. It came at about 75% charge.

Thanks Gio, I worry about that with even a clean cut, the stitching will unravel. I am going to experiment with some handebar mounts for now. Also, what are guys doing about rear bags? I have a Topeak with my Espin Sport with the little plastic adapter, but the CC rack seems maybe a bit too wide to secure the adapter arms...

And yes, feeling better. Got diagnosed with Viral Pharangitis and given a steroid. (tested negative for covid and strep) Feel much better today at least I can swallow. Doc wants me to take it easy. I'm planning my maiden voyage tomorrow. Charging the battery as I type. It came at about 75% charge.
I hear you... It will be a gamble.
I have used a little clear silicone on the cut edge of fabric to keep the stitching from unraveling successfully in the past.

I received my Frey CC bike yesterday and have so far ridden 15 miles on a gravel trail to get a feel on how it performs. Here are my first impressions.

The bike is everything I was hoping for and I think Frey has managed to come up with a winner.
I have another hard-tail e-bike with a rear hub motor and I usually try to go around bumps and holes when I ride that bike. With the CC, the drive is so smooth that I find myself aiming for the bumps and holes because it is so much fun; it is like riding on a cloud.

Positive impressions:
- The Maxxis 2.8" nubby tires: I ride exclusively on trails (gravel, dirt, forest) and the control offered by those tires is amazing, especially in conditions that would be slippery with my other bike.
- Magura MT5 brakes: I have been following the braking noise issues reported by Tom and Dave. So far, I have not noticed any noise coming from the braking system. I have a different set of rim/tires and I don't know if this might play a role. As well, so far I have noticed that both the rear and front brakes are very efficient, either when used together or one at the time. No complaint on the brake bite so far.
- The motor controller: I have exercised all the PAS levels (1-5) in Eco mode, going rapidly back and forth between the levels, and found a very good responsiveness of the motor. Increasing the pressure on the pedals causes the motor to quickly respond in kind and it makes you feel like superman at times. I have not tried the Sport mode yet.
- Stand-up Height: The CC stand-up height is very comfortable with the CC. I did measure 25.5" from the ground to the top of the cross bar, which is exactly what Frey had in their CC geometry specs.

Items that may benefit from improvements:
- Water Bottle Holder: I found that water bottle holder is often in the way when mounting/dismounting the bike. I may simply remove it.
- The Rear Light: When I opened the bike package, I found the rear light was dislodged from the rack and just hanging by its wires. It became loose as a result of the shipping. The rear light is precariously held by only two very small screws that could easily become loose with the vibrations of the rack. As a general comment, I would have been happier to pay extra money for a set of front and rear lights that are commensurate with the quality of the CC bike.

Item under investigation:
- I have noticed an occasional clattering sound (click, click,...click) that appears to be coming from the area of the motor, I think. I am trying to pin it down more specifically. It may be just the normal working of the motor. I am planning to check with Frey about it.

Here is my bike below. I am also trying a combination of Topeak rack and bag. The bag slides on a track and locks at the end of track. It is very sturdy and there is enough clearance with the stock rack at the bottom. I will likely take out the stock rack and move the rear light on the Topeak rack.

Thank you for reading,
Stay safe

View attachment 53760
Hey Ebike Addict. I just received the identical CC as yours and have a couple of questions. What are you doing for a rear view mirror and if you cut out the end of the existing grip, how did you do it and has it remained clean and tidy. Also, I am considering that same Topeak bag setup you have. Has it been stable and do you have a dropper post? Thanks, Taylor

My 2 CC’s finally arrived. Just under five months. Went for a nice leisurely trail ride and was very happy with the performance. The motor is louder than I thought but it certainly is fun to ride. battery doesn’t last as long as I would’ve liked however I have my nephew riding a 250 W hub motor 425ah battery Raleigh and I used approximately 75% of my battery while he used less than 50% granted he is younger and stronger and I did use the throttle.
Hey Acme, I just recevied my CC last week. Same color as yours. What are you doing for rear view mirror( I would have to have to cut the end off of my grip) and what about a rear bag, ie Topeak etc.''

So right now, if I am at a dead stop on a Frey CC and want to apply the throttle, (maybe get going at a stop light) I have to start pedaling before the throttle engages? I'm pretty sure I asked Frey to make mine responsive from a dead stop...
I asked for mine to start with throttle only from dead stop but that must have gotten lost in the translation. I haven't ridden it yet, but tomorrow is the day I try and get on the horse!

Back