Frey CC

Have you adjusted your derailleur? Link
No I haven't, its my 5th time riding the bike so the chain and chainring are stock new. All I did was make changes to the controller (changed the throttle to high power regardless of PAS level) perhaps that might have stretched something? I've relubed the chain with Finishline. What's happening is when I press the throttle and pedal at same time without changing gear the chain skips then snaps back in place.

Be a good idea to follow the video posted by @TomD

Also as said already, the Shifter Cable sounds possibly like the culprit. Shifter cables stretch over time, and especially from new, so even if you set it perfect today, in a few weeks/months time it may need further adjustment. Its just a case of keeping on top of it.

It could also be a derailleur that isn't straight. It should be parallel to your wheel. If its at an angle, the power could be pulling the chain over to another cog - causing the skipping.

Put the bike in the biggest cog, so that your derailleur is fully extended, and then looking from the back of the bike check of the derailleur is parallel to the wheel. If it looks like its at an angle, then you'll need to realign it.

Be a good idea to follow the video posted by @TomD

Also as said already, the Shifter Cable sounds possibly like the culprit. Shifter cables stretch over time, and especially from new, so even if you set it perfect today, in a few weeks/months time it may need further adjustment. Its just a case of keeping on top of it.

It could also be a derailleur that isn't straight. It should be parallel to your wheel. If its at an angle, the power could be pulling the chain over to another cog - causing the skipping.

Put the bike in the biggest cog, so that your derailleur is fully extended, and then looking from the back of the bike check of the derailleur is parallel to the wheel. If it looks like its at an angle, then you'll need to realign it.
All makes sense, thanks I must've missed Tom's video really appreciate the help.

I am 6' tall and prefer a more upright position (bad back) can the handlebars be adjusted on cc for more upright position, if not is there enough cable lenght so that I could install more swept back handlebars or a stem extension, ready to order

I just installed Jones 2.5" riser loop bars. That is all you would be able to get with stock cabling. The right side shifter cable and brake cable are now at their limit and bars cannot be turned all the way to the right. Should not be an issue for riding. They could probably give you a couple more inches of those two if you asked. Their CS is excellent. Edit. Taller bars or stem riser can be used. The jones bars come back towards the rider. Combine that with the 2.5 rise they reached a width limit, not a height limit. I need some more height and the bars closer. It is difficult to get a good fit on a long reach one size fits all bike for a short person. This will indeed help. https://www.satoribike.com/pro.php?m=d&pid=9&cid=10&f=3

Last edited:
as far as installing the Jones bar did that give you an upright position and what is your height and did you add the Archon X1 controller from Wattwagons to yours and if not are you happy with the range and smoothness of the torgue sensor?

as far as installing the Jones bar did that give you an upright position and what is your height and did you add the Archon X1 controller from Wattwagons to yours and if not are you happy with the range and smoothness of the torgue sensor?
Just mounted the Jones Bars yesterday. I am 5'8" tall. I got a more upright position. I have to play with seat angle to get it right. Battery charging as I type. I have only one good ride on it and didn't pay much attention to torque sensing. Will be paying more attention today. I have paid for the Archon X1 when they had 200 bucks off a little while back. i am older, not strong, and have poor cardio. The torque sensing wants me to work more than what I want, to obtain speed. Around 30 mph is the top pedaling speed for me with the 40T chainring. Not very difficult to pedal without power despite its weight. 35 mph on throttle. 35 mph on throttle rapidly depletes the battery. I spotted some very ominous clouds while about 7 miles from home. Did not beat the rain, but only had to ride about 1 1/2 miles in it.

Last edited:
All makes sense, thanks I must've missed Tom's video really appreciate the help.
Upon further investigation, the problem appears to be chain skipping over the SAME cog. This only happens on heavy load while pedaling and using throttle. I found a video of someone having similar issue here the sound of chain skip is identical to mine:

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issue and found a solution. I'd also programmed the Designated Assist Level to 9 under Throttle Handle, which gives max power when depressing throttle regardless of PAS level. Could this have been too much to wear out the smallest cog prematurely (I mostly use the smallest cog) or stretched the chain? I've rode the bike less than 10 times.

Last edited:
Upon further investigation, the problem appears to be chain skipping over the SAME cog. This only happens on heavy load while pedaling and using throttle. I found a video of someone having similar issue here the sound of chain skip is identical to mine:

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issue and found a solution. I'd also programmed the Designated Assist Level to 9 under Throttle Handle, which gives max power when depressing throttle regardless of PAS level. Could this have been too much to wear out the smallest cog prematurely (I mostly use the smallest cog) or stretched the chain? I've only rode the bike less than 10 times.
Yeah my own bike is suffering slightly from this issue now - and it will only get worse over time. You may need to change the Cassette. Sometimes you can buy individual cogs to save money but you'll have to Google whatever cassette comes on the CC to find out if this is a possibility for you.... If not you'll have to replace the whole thing.

Saying that, its worth checking that the Derailleur clutch is turned on (Grey switch on side) - this tightens up the Derailleur mech slightly reducing the sag in the chain, which does help prevent skips.

If you can, try to find a cassette that uses Metal cogs (heat treated) which should prevent premature wearing. Most of Alloy ones can't really take the brunt of the M620 motor. E-Thirteen make some good ones, but not the cheapest.

Try not to use Throttle at the same time as pedalling, and don't use the Throttle from a standing start in the small cogs.

The small cogs wear out quick at the best of times... So I've fitted a larger Chainring to my bike so I can maintain a decent speed without needing to use those gears so much. It maybe worth considering for your bike too.

Yeah my own bike is suffering slightly from this issue now - and it will only get worse over time. You may need to change the Cassette. Sometimes you can buy individual cogs to save money but you'll have to Google whatever cassette comes on the CC to find out if this is a possibility for you.... If not you'll have to replace the whole thing.

Saying that, its worth checking that the Derailleur clutch is turned on (Grey switch on side) - this tightens up the Derailleur mech slightly reducing the sag in the chain, which does help prevent skips.

If you can, try to find a cassette that uses Metal cogs (heat treated) which should prevent premature wearing. Most of Alloy ones can't really take the brunt of the M620 motor. E-Thirteen make some good ones, but not the cheapest.

Try not to use Throttle at the same time as pedalling, and don't use the Throttle from a standing start in the small cogs.

The small cogs wear out quick at the best of times... So I've fitted a larger Chainring to my bike so I can maintain a decent speed without needing to use those gears so much. It maybe worth considering for your bike too.
Ya, saw on the FB group someone broke their aluminum chainring so I think you're right, metal is the way to go, I'll def checkout the metal cassettes. Rode this morning on the second highest gear and less skipping so perhaps you're right about the premature wearing of the last cog, but less than 10 rides? damn. All excellent tips - thanks!

My Frey has arrived in the USA per 17 Track (Asian shipping company?) Cut and paste below. Lotsa typos! My Fed X still shows pending and indicates the bike will ship from Pittsburg PA to Palm Springs. Interesting route from China...

2021-04-08 11:55USA, Shipmnet arrived at destination country

My Frey has arrived in the USA per 17 Track (Asian shipping company?) Cut and paste below. Lotsa typos! My Fed X still shows pending and indicates the bike will ship from Pittsburg PA to Palm Springs. Interesting route from China...

2021-04-08 11:55USA, Shipmnet arrived at destination country
Yay Taylor! Almost there. I knew you could do it. 👍 👍👍

Can't wait for your report. Let us know how it runs and rides.

Back