Frame size for a 5'6" or 5'7" rider

SteveK

Like most newbies, I'm inclined to pollute the boards with lots of questions. Sorry about that.

If anyone out there is in the bike-frame-awkward height range of 5'6" or 5'7" ish, I'd love your advice on Ride1up frame sizes. At this height you're typically too small for large frames and too large for small frames. And without being able to try one out, I don't know what to do.

I ordered a 700 ST because the stated height range is 5' to 5'11", seems pretty straightforward. But I'm concerned that it's going to feel cramped like a scooter and not free like a bike. The XR frame (which looks way cool) has a height recommendation of 5'5" to 6'4", and I'm concerned that this frame is too large. I've never been in any universe in which a 6'4" dude and I were riding the same bike. I can get a shorter stem, some extra-rise bars, that kind of thing, and I'm comfortable swapping those components out if necessary.

The other option is the 500, which has a more reasonable range of 5'4" to 6'4". I think the 500 is a cool bike but I like the extra range of the 700 and I think the 700 is nicer looking, but whatever, the fit is more important to me.

So that's it. This is a big decision for me - even an affordable bike like this is a big purchase - and buying it and returning it is a lousy option both for me and for the company. I'd like to get it right the first time. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Looking at both size ranges the medium for the 5' to 5' 11" is 5" 5.5", while the medium for the 5'5" to 6'4" range is 5"11"
I don't know how this bike company determines its size range for each frame but just looking at the mediums I'd go with the smaller framed ebike.

With an ebike it's okay to go a bit smaller on the frame size.
I'm around 5'7" too and back in 2016 I bought a Pedego RidgeRider that only came in one size, which is very similar to the 5'5" to 6'4" frame choice you have. I found that the bike was slightly too big for me. I would have preferred a slightly smaller frame.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. I want to get this right because returns are a headache and everyone loses money in the process. These kids have a cool company and I'd like to see it succeed, and I certainly don't want to cut into their margins. Much obliged :)

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. I want to get this right because returns are a headache and everyone loses money in the process. These kids have a cool company and I'd like to see it succeed, and I certainly don't want to cut into their margins. Much obliged :)
I'm 5'5 and it's been hell for me trying to find someone who can assure me that the bike I'm gonna spend $1400 on isn't gonna be too big for me. I'm looking at the 500 and size is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Last edited:
Truth of the matter is you can’t really tell for sure how you will fit in a bike frame till you try it at least once. Add to that you may not be able to find a small to try/buy. And a lot depends on how long you’re willing to wait. I decided to buy a medium Rail 5 (that I was very lucky to find) recently and it’s very good but I would like to have tried a small.

I bought a 500 step-through. It was too small for a 5' 10" rider. I put a stem extender on it and it is a little small, but doable.
If the frame were any bigger, I couldn't have fit this suspension seat post(which I really like)
When I still had the stock seat-post, a 5' 3" friend was able to ride it fine.
The 500 step-through with the stock seat-post should fit a 5' 6" person fine with the caveat that a large suspension seat-post might be too tall.

Back