Folding bike - want it all.

I would like the exact bike the op listed also
anxious to see if he gets close on those specs..
getting what you want in a folder is tough

Very intriguing, did you find the weight on it?
If you get one keep us up to date on how it does, curious about that Dapu mid drive , that is what evelo has on their folder - but theirs is 2.4 tires

Very intriguing, did you find the weight on it?
If you get one keep us up to date on how it does, curious about that Dapu mid drive , that is what evelo has on their folder - but theirs is 2.4 tires
The video says it’s just over 60 lbs. Next time I’m near Reno I’ll drop by their office and give it a try. Other than that I’m like you- waiting for an honest review.

the twist is 50 with the battery in , i like surface bikes and would probably pick that one over the FMDF
but no front suspension...

i also dont like the batteries in the frames where the bike has to be folded to remove it, it would not be a dealbreaker for me if everything else was what i wanted

It appears I'm interested in a similar bike. I haven't found one yet that ticks all the boxes for me.

We currently carry a pair of Giant Expressway 1's (20" folders) in the back of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This serves to keep them dry, somewhat concealed and a bit more secure from theft, and also makes it convenient to take the bikes to trailheads as we don't like to ride much in traffic.

The Expressways were delivered with 1.25" tires. They are limited to about 1.75" tires in the rear but could handle a larger tire in the front. I'm in the process of fitting them with 1.65" Kenda Konversion tires and lower gearing while I continue to look for a folding mid-drive e-bike. I've thought about fitting them with mid-drives, but I don't think I'll ultimately be satisfied with their tire size limitations, particularly as the bike would grow heavier with a motor and battery.

There's a number of nice 20" e-bikes on the market that unfortunately don't fold. I thought about going with frame couplers but decided the associated assembly and disassembly would be too time-consuming to do on a regular basis. As we sometimes tow a travel trailer, and given the advantages of our "travelling garage", I've also decided that an external bike rack is not in the cards for us, nor a larger tow-vehicle such as a full-size van.

I see a number of the fat-tire models (Rad and Magnum as best I recall) have changed from 4" to 3" tires this year. I think I'd be happy with something in the range of 2" to 3" tires. Suspension isn't critical to me as we simply ride slower when the going gets too rough.

The Evelo Dash is of interest to me. I've heard it could handle "certain" 2.8" tires. They offer a 21-day, 75-mile risk-free trial. While I will probably eventually take them up on it, I'm not clear that a three-speed is going to get the job done as we tend to ride some pretty steep places, with stretches of grades at 20% or more.

It's been an interesting search. I've run across a couple of nice bikes that are not available in the USA. Bike Friday doesn't fit mid-drives to their folding bikes. The Tern Vektron Q9 might be the best fit I've found to date.

I am intrigued by the evelo dash also, would love to hear some feedback on it if anyone gets it

I am intrigued by the evelo dash also, would love to hear some feedback on it if anyone gets it
Do you still have your Montague with kit motor? That seems like it would be much better than the 20 or 24 inch folders.

SOBOWO SF6
Frame: Aluminium Alloy
Rated Voltage: 48V
Motor: 48v 750w/1000w Bafang BBSHD MM.G320 Mid Motor
Battery Capacity: 48v 10.4ah/11.6ah/12.8ah/14ah Samsung Battery
Brake Lever: Tektro Brake Lever with Power Cut-off
Brake Type: Tektro Mechanical/Hydraulic Disc Brake
Front Fork: Mozo Mechanical/Hydraulic Suspension Fork
Display: Bafang DPC 18 Colorful LCD
Gears: Internal 3 Gear Sturmey Archer
Tires: 20''*4.0'' Kenda/Maxxis
Controller: Bafang Intelligent Brushless
Charger: AC 100-240V, 2A Smart Charger
Range: 25-45 KM
Speed: 0-50 KM/H
Load capacity: 264 LBS
N. W./G.W.: 31KG/41KG

I recommend reading this review if you aren't familiar with this class of bike.

Like the montague ok, light without the battery on it and powerful

think I looked at that SF6 a while ago and they don’t have them in the states

I had a 20" folder, 350 watt hub drive, my first ebike. I didn't know any better, but it did turn me on to the entire concept so no hard feelings. I don't remember the brand. It was a hard tail. It just made me want MORE of everything. I sold it cheap and moved on, and having already had a few different Montagues (no e power, before that came along) in the last 20 years, I looked into conversion kits for them. 1300 watt BBSHD, 650 watt 52 volt battery, and a Rohloff hub, it will smoke any store bought bike built to Euro standards. I put a Surly Dirt Wizard up front, but the stock tire size is as big as I can go on the rear, so I just live with it. The fact that it fits in my plane is the main deal for me, and I mean it just BARELY fits. As far as for town riding, the Mont is kickass, it's just on very steep and rocky stuff that I wish I was on my fatbike.
IMG_20210618_105227282.jpg
IMG_20210618_114536824.jpg

Here's a couple pics from last weeks ride, I landed and camped out at 8700' and rode for 6 miles to a 9300' site. The one shows shows a slope steep enough to be very difficult to walk up, loose scree didn't help, and it was too steep to ride down, I never ran out of power just traction, while at the same time it can hit about 38 mph, thanks to the broad gear range of the Rohloff. Sure they are expensive, but they are worth it. Mine quickly spoiled me, and I ended up buy a second one for my fat Surly Wednesday conversion, which is my bike of choice for local rough trail riding. I wish I could fit it in the plane as it is an overall better rider on the real steep and rough stuff, but no way, not even remotely close, so the Montague continues to push all my buttons.

Seems to be a trend in this thread to steer toward full sized bikes, but the real challenge of the OP is to be able to put two bikes into a small space or car trunk, hence the constraint of foldable 20" wheels. What is even more interesting is the challenge of having both bikes being dirt capable, ie mountain bikes, and less than 60 lbs each with full suspension, torque sensing and decent power, ie, ~500 watts. I don't think this type of bike exists, but this one might come close:
It's hub rather than mid drive, and the brakes are likely mechanical rather than hydraulic, but for $1500, it's quite a cost savings over this one:

The price isn't obvious on this one but it appears to be well over 60 lbs even though it satisfies other criteria:

So, if I had to pick one today, it would be the Fiido, maybe allowing for some additional cost to upgrade from mech to hydraulic brakes.

Seems to be a trend in this thread to steer toward full sized bikes, but the real challenge of the OP is to be able to put two bikes into a small space or car trunk, hence the constraint of foldable 20" wheels. What is even more interesting is the challenge of having both bikes being dirt capable, ie mountain bikes, and less than 60 lbs each with full suspension, torque sensing and decent power, ie, ~500 watts. I don't think this type of bike exists, but this one might come close:
It's hub rather than mid drive, and the brakes are likely mechanical rather than hydraulic, but for $1500, it's quite a cost savings over this one:

The price isn't obvious on this one but it appears to be well over 60 lbs even though it satisfies other criteria:

So, if I had to pick one today, it would be the Fiido, maybe allowing for some additional cost to upgrade from mech to hydraulic brakes.
When I looked into it, the 20 inch wheel folders didn't save any space compared to the Montague . Just a different shaped package of about same cubic inches.
But back to small folders, the famous British Brompton now has an electric option, perhaps 18 inch wheels? I can't link from tablet, just Google it.

Last edited:
When I looked into it, the 20 inch wheel folders didn't save any space compared to the Montague . Just a different shaped package of about same cubic inches.
But back to small folders, the famous British Brompton now has an electric option, perhaps 18 inch wheels? I can't link from tablet, just Google it.
Reply to my own comment. Link.

Not a clue on weight with that motor and battery. Ask @Tomster what his weighs... check the Montague site for bikes weight and add whatever motor and battery you want.

Last edited:
I've taken delivery of a Dash, as noted on the "Evelo Dash information" thread.

I figured I'd post feedback there, so feel free to let me know any questions you might have.

Back