Folding bike - want it all.

Davebreak

Region
USA
Price not a consideration. I want it all and expect to pay more
- Folding 20” fat tire with hidden battery
- less than 50 lbs. 60 max. Very important as I am older.
- Hyd brakes
- Front suspension, rear also if possoble
- Torque sensing. Cadence too if that works but definitely Torque.
- Throttle that works from a standstill.
-Adjustable seat height and also handle height
- Small as possible. I need to fit two of these into the back of my CRV.
- comfortable and not cramped.
- 500 Watt motor, at least 480 watt hour Battery
- Prefer motor at the pedals but can live with a hub motor.

Gocycle is what you are looking for...has everything you are looking for, just a bit pricey as you know these components are mostly top notch.

The Gocycle is cute but the Montague is more of a real bike. I like how the Montague can be wheeled around in the folded position like a wheel barrow.

Gocycle can be wheeled around in the folded position too :)

OK. I skimmed through that review but never caught that. Given the OP's post perhaps the Gocycle is the best bet for him. But if he really gets into it and then realizes there's a whole 'nother level ... like, biking is a blast. He'll be stuck with a cute wimpy 'thing'. Not a bike. Dear OP, At least look at the Montague.

Last edited:
no suspension but I doubt it would be much on a folder

The EBT folder is another folding bike with a torque sensor and throttle but it has a small battery and no suspension https://electricbikereview.com/electric-bike-technologies/electric-folding-bike/

I liked the earlier suggestion of a Montague, as the OP wants both a torque sensor and a throttle maybe consider converting a Montague Paratrooper with a 750w TSDZ2 kit motor.
First time I saw the word 'Montague' on the board I was, to say the least, skeptical. But then the guy with the kit plane posted. I wish I was the kind of guy that found things out ahead of the crowd. 🤣 Well, I may be a follower but at least I can suss out those worth following. 🤣

OK. I skimmed through that review but never caught that. Given the OP's post perhaps the Gocycle is the best bet for him. But if he really gets into it and then realizes there's a whole 'nother level ... like, biking is a blast. He'll be stuck with a cute wimpy 'thing'. Not a bike. Dear OP, At least look at the Montague.
The gocycle can’t do trails well. It’s a city rider mostly. The Montegue is great but has 1.75 inch tires and only 250 watts. Thanks for the input.

The gocycle can’t do trails well. It’s a city rider mostly. The Montegue is great but has 1.75 inch tires and only 250 watts. Thanks for the input.
There's a cottage industry, it sounds like, converting Montagues with more powerful motors. If you're really going to ride these bikes you want ( meaning actually do some miles ) I still feel the Montague is the best folding bike.

OP said wanted fat tire folding
“Folding 20” fat tire”
Gocycle certainly light weight but not fat tire.

I'm not aware of a 20 inch, fat tire, front suspension, torque sensing, trail ready, throttle enabled folder that weighs under 50 lbs. At least not one from a company with a track record. That criteria is bit of a dream at this point. Folders are heavy because they need to compensate for, well, folding. Just like convertibles are heavier than hard top cars.

I'm late to this but have you looked at the Montague thread. Real bikes that fold or something. 27 inch ?

I'm not aware of a 20 inch, fat tire, front suspension, torque sensing, trail ready, throttle enabled folder that weighs under 50 lbs. At least not one from a company with a track record. That criteria is bit of a dream at this point. Folders are heavy because they need to compensate for, well, folding. Just like convertibles are heavier than hard top cars.
You may be right. I haven’t seen anything either. The most likely is the Surface 604 twist it seems.

Most probably you are concerned over weight thinking about loading/unloading from your car. They make doggy ramps that are adjustable for old dogs who can't jump in the car any longer. One of these would allow you to roll your bikes in and out. The Montague ( as seen in the EBR review ) handles like a wheel barrow with the bars in the extended position although the bars collapse as well when you don't want them extended.

This one has front suspension and a Kinekt seat post goes a long way toward rear suspension.

Yes I did. I need a bike good on trails and this has 2.5 inch tires and no suspension.
The montague paratrooper is the folding mountain bike most often fitted with a kit motor. Maybe a hardtail, I don't know, I thought it was full suspension. Trails and offroad, anyway.

My 1300 watt BBSHD Paratrooper Pro at 8500'. It's all a compromise as this is what I carry in my small plane so I am limited to the Montague's hard tail frame. No juice brakes as I am not sure I could fold with their lines (maybe??)
IMG_20170624_073422983.jpg
No one said life was going to be easy.....

Back