FM Radio (Interference) Speaker Suggestions / Questions

ebikelike

Region
USA
Hey All,

I have been trying a few different things with various results to get some tunes going while riding in the safest manner. I was using ear buds with my phone streaming and decided that is a no go, then I tried one bud but I still felt it would put me in danger. Then I bought a FM radio with a speaker built in but its not loud enough when on a busy road. I have also found issues when using pedal assist it interferes with the FM reception (I get less interference with throttle fyi). Is there a way to reduce interference? I also tried those 3.5mm speakers that plug into your phones headphone jack but they were cr*p! I also ordered a Bluetooth, FM, speaker but dont have high hopes https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096TNZ53F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

any suggestions / advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
EBL

Not the answer to your FM interference question, but have you considered bone conduction headphones such as Aftershokz? I've never tried this myself, but I was impressed when I tried my wife's swimming Aftershokz for 30 seconds just to see what they are like. A quick search reveals that some cyclists do use these.

This bluetooth speakers come in many different cases/ Mine was 20 bucks and came inside a flashlight housing with a tripod mount that clamps to the bike frame.

It works well..either pairing with my Iphone or playing off a memory card. It does have an FM radio that works poorly.

Last edited:
I use a weatherproof Bluetooth speaker, I modified a bike light handlebar clamp and attached it to the speaker.
Nice and loud. Use an AM - FM Radio App or YouTube Playlist with the cell phone.

BIKE SPEAKER FRONT.jpg
BIKE SPEAKER TOP.jpg
BIKE SPEAKER BACK.jpg

Well yeah. Ride with a few friends, stop at a picnic bench, put the Ebike on its kickstand, crank the tunes = Good Times.

I have one of these:
65359DCB-BBFE-479C-A43F-0422366D4397.jpeg

however my other half confiscated it for her studio. Has quite nice sound I thought. I then ordered a Bose Tenor eyeglasses type. That sucked - returned. So I may get another JBL.

if you want more personal sound, I'd recommend what @ephemere said... Aftershokz bone conduction headphones are pretty good. Not QUITE as good as regular buds/over-the-ear cans, but close, and allow you to hear everything around you.

I don't own a pair (yet), but have tried a friend's, and they're pretty impressive.

Otherwise, the bluetooth speaker idea is good too. I use the Anker Soundcore 2.

It's also handy because it's easy to "pair" with a second speaker, and you can get stereo separation when you're stopped for a picnic, and Anker's a solid "bang-for-buck" option.

Ok, here is my new setup and it is working GREAT. I 3d printed a backing that I put velcro on to hold the radio to but you can really use anything. I also bought from trek a rubber light holder that goes on the handlebars that you can remove the top piece and then be able to screw into anything. I am very happy and jamming to the tunes [safely] with crystal clear FM radio now.

[1] $70.40 Sangean HDR-14 HD Radio/FM Stereo/AM Portable Radio, standart , Black

[2] $17.11 Mini Outdoor speaker

[3] $4.28 StarTech.com 1 ft. (0.3 m) Right Angle 3.5 mm Audio Cable - 3.5mm Slim Audio Cable - Right Angle - Male/Male - Aux Cable (MU1MMSRA), Black

[4] $6.99 Bontrager Light Bracket - SyncV2

Attachments

• 1 - Copy.jpg
    1 - Copy.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 2 - Copy.jpg
    2 - Copy.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 3 - Copy.jpg
    3 - Copy.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 4 - Copy.jpg
    4 - Copy.jpg
    747.6 KB · Views: 199
Senna R1 helmet has AM FM radio plus blue tooth with your phone.
I've used the Sena R1 for two years with reasonable success listening to FM radio. I like the fact I have total 360 degree hearing situational awareness around me. I bike in fairly populated areas with road traffic where I believe wearing headphones or noise cancelling earphones is unsafe.

I've used the Sena R1 for two years with reasonable success listening to FM radio. I like the fact I have total 360 degree hearing situational awareness around me. I bike in fairly populated areas with road traffic where I believe wearing headphones or noise cancelling earphones is unsafe.
How’s the musical listening experience? I understand it’s not headphones- I’m imagining something of the quality of an AM transistor radio? Or perhaps a tad better?

How’s the musical listening experience? I understand it’s not headphones- I’m imagining something of the quality of an AM transistor radio? Or perhaps a tad better?
You are correct. Sounds like small speaker pocket FM radio which in fact it is. Pulls in all local FM stations without hiss or static. Music is output by two small speakers in helmet above the ears. This will mix with all outside sounds including wind noise during biking. Sound quality is just okay with good clarity.

I have an app on my phone called Radio Canada. It pulls AM & FM radio stations from right across Canada with great sound.

I added two speakers now and this thing is rockin! Really loud and amazing sound and no more interference.

Attachments

• 20210811_104717 - Copy.jpg
    20210811_104717 - Copy.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 177
Back