more volts doesn't mean more get up and go.. Volts x Amps = watts and watts = power. ( Ah is just battery capacity and only affects range) A lower voltage system pushing more amps can have the same or MORE power than a system with more volts and less amps. It's impossible to say which system is more powerful without riding both bikes as wattage claims tend to be all over the place. Maybe someone who's ridden both can chime in. Generally speaking though, a higher voltage system is considered "better" and will have less thermal stress on components assuming they both put out the same watts which they probably don't.. :)

Very informative! I did not know any of that (still a newbie) so thanks for that info there.

Has anyone verified Juiced bikes "claimed" 1300 watts with a wattmeter? FLX claims 1000 watts from it's bafang ultra and it's a 40mph ebike.. That ripcurrent must SMOKE!.... I really don't know as I've never seen or ridden either one. If the Rip current puts out a true 1300 watts compared to the volt bikes 750 watts, I'd change my vote.

Last edited:
The Bafang, as well as other gear drives, are capabable of handling much more wattage than they are actually rated for. The downside is, while running at that higher than rated wattage, they are building heat internally that they are not able to get rid of unless run at a wattage much lower than they are rated for! In other words, that extra performance is going to come at a price, and that price is a cool down period where they can dissipate that heat.

Point being, they can handle the higher wattage just fine - just understand they can only do that temporarily!

yeah I'm a bit skeptical about 30A, I would double check, it could've been typo.. but I don't own Yukon so I don't know.

Also your comparison between Bafang Ultra and hub motor is a bit unfair.. mid drive is more efficient and have mechanical advantage.
So yeah, while FLX with Bafang Ultra with 1000W can go 40mph, that wouldn't be a case with 1000W hub motor.

The Ultra sure is a beast though.. people on YouTube are boosting it up to 72V.
Very unfair.. oops.

Hello EBR members! I am new to ebikes and like soooo many others i have become almost overwhelmed with my weeks and weeks of ebike research I've been doing. EBR has come to be my go to for almost all my research. I would love to get some feedback from others on brands and recommendations on making my first ebike online purchase. Here's my situation. This is my first ebike and I have zero experience with them. I've never even seen one let alone ridden one. I have no local bikes shops within 100 miles of me so I'm going blind here. I am more after fun transportation and not so much exercise. It will be my daily driver to work. Round trip being 4-6 miles on average. I love the look of fat tire bikes and we have a really nice park here with lots of bike trail options of varying difficulties so the fat tire is my preferred pick but not a must. I'll do mostly all pavement driving with it, however the roads are rough. I need a rack and fenders for sure. I have a strict $2000 dollar budget which is where the overwhelming online search has struck! There are so many companies selling these budget bikes and i'm just trying to find the best option for my $ and will last the longest. Also I am a big guy, 6'3 and 260 pounds. I have been looking at Rad Rover, Volt Yukon 750 Limited , M2S All Terrain Kush, and BikTrix Juggernaut Classic 750. I might be totally wrong here but I drew the assumption a hub motor might be best for my first bike since i have little knowledge and skill on ebikes and ebike maintenance and that mid drives require a little more finesse? I have had some serious reservations about M2S because is seems their customer service is next to impossible to reach, or so I've read but their Kush has custom gearing for more top speed? I'd like to have that. I've got Reservations about BikTrix Juggernaut classic because i find a lot of blogs with peoples bike issues quicker that i find their positive bike reviews but I still find the Juggernaut lovers and they do seem to love them, I just seem to find more "bike issue" articles that "love my bike" articles. Volt Bikes I just discovered today so i don't know much about them yet but they look pretty promising. Then i start reading about customer service that doesn't respond with Volt Bikes... Then there is Rad Bikes which hands down seems to be the leader in the lower budget ebikes as well as in customer service. I want the most power i can get and it seems like that would put Rad towards the bottom of those four brands as there appears to be an agreement out there that the Rad Bikes seem more like 500w than the 750w claim. I am drawn to Rad Power Bikes because their following is superior and Mike is known, like it was very easy to put a face to the Rad Power Bikes name and CEO. I can't say the same for the others I listed. It's hard to find articles quoting those company owners and it's harder to put a face to them. Mike is in almost all the video reviews Court has done on Rad and he seems to be very confident in his product and seems to strive to offer the best he can. For that alone Rad is very appealing to me. I know the other Brands I've listed are quite possibly just as good but maybe haven't been around as long so don't have the following Rad does nor the means to make themselves marketed and known? I don't know..... I've hit a wall and can't decide which to buy. I don't want to wait a month to get the bike either as I need it for my main source of transportation. Please chime in with any feedback and suggestions pointing me in the right direction. Any other makes i haven't listed are more that welcome as long as they will satisfy what I've tried to describe for you here. I've grown to trust the EBR community the more I've been on here this last month. So i finall For that reason I am looking forward to your feedback. Thanks in advance!
If I were in your position, I would first create a short list of e-bikes offered in "extra large" or "large" size that fit my price point. Second, in the EBR website go forum section "Discussion by Brand & User Reviews" and check out the user comments on brand, model on your list. Third, I would direct my inquires to the users there; they will be the ones actual experience with the e-bike and helping down the road with specific info.

Good luck

If I were in your position, I would first create a short list of e-bikes offered in "extra large" or "large" size that fit my price point. Second, in the EBR website go forum section "Discussion by Brand & User Reviews" and check out the user comments on brand, model on your list. Third, I would direct my inquires to the users there; they will be the ones actual experience with the e-bike and helping down the road with specific info.

Good luck
Yep, I (and others) are speculating on ebikes we've never ridden. There can be big differences in these ebikes even AFTER you test ride and think you picked the right one. For instance my wife chose the Gazelle Easy Flow.. It's a mid drive with Shimano Steps motor. Fully enclosed chain and 8 speed internal gear hub, it's also a step thru. I test rode it as well but wanted something with AT LEAST front suspension forks so I test rode a Haibke trekking 6.0 with Yamaha motor and loved it.. We bought the bikes and started riding together. On the very first ride my wife was right on my tail and even passing me all the time asking me why I was going so slow. With the test rides, the motors and power felt very similar but her Gazelle with Shimano Steps has more power than my Haibike. This was NOT noticeable on our test rides. She now needs to ride in "normal" mode while I ride in "high" power mode for the bikes to be evenly matched power wise. I've looked but have been unable to find a DIY video on how to replace my ESC with one that will give the motor more amps so we can at least be even. One thing for sure though, I would not trade my front fork shocks for her single head tube shock that only has about 1" of travel

Yep, I (and others) are speculating on ebikes we've never ridden. There can be big differences in these ebikes even AFTER you test ride and think you picked the right one. For instance my wife chose the Gazelle Easy Flow.. It's a mid drive with Shimano Steps motor. Fully enclosed chain and 8 speed internal gear hub, it's also a step thru. I test rode it as well but wanted something with AT LEAST front suspension forks so I test rode a Haibke trekking 6.0 with Yamaha motor and loved it.. We bought the bikes and started riding together. On the very first ride my wife was right on my tail and even passing me all the time asking me why I was going so slow. With the test rides, the motors and power felt very similar but her Gazelle with Shimano Steps has more power than my Haibike. This was NOT noticeable on our test rides. She now needs to ride in "normal" mode while I ride in "high" power mode for the bikes to be evenly matched power wise. I've looked but have been unable to find a DIY video on how to replace my ESC with one that will give the motor more amps so we can at least be even. One thing for sure though, I would not trade my front fork shocks for her single head tube shock that only has about 1" of travel
That's a problem. Maybe I got dumb lucky. Have been a roadie since forever and wanted a e-bike with drop bars, but couldn't find any. Gradually it dawned on me that the e-bikes which sold were available were urban or MTB. All had T bars. So started telling myself, you're not going to find the perfect bike the first try, so just bite the bullet, pick something affordable and could be resold. Found a Vado 3 demo which met both criteria and would give me experience with e-bikes so I would know what worked for me. So far so good. Still want the drop bar roadie ride position, but am understanding some of the "why" of e-bike design. Need quite a different bike than analog. Steady state 28 mph is very different than poking along at sub-16. Need the big tires, and the further into the 20+ mph one goes the more suspension becomes a factor.

The Vado 3.0 is has been a good ride and for the $2k I have in it (after discounts and tax rebate) a real bargain. After a hundred hours in the saddle I have learn the "what for" of some of the features on the higher end models. Could go for the slightly more powerful motor in the 5.0, 6.0 (1.3 vs 1.2) and larger drive gear (which will reduce cadence to 95 to reach 28 mph), and the better front shock, am increased battery capacity. These will be on the next bike. But before I get there am thinking of putting drop bars on the 3.0 just to get the wild idea out of my system, . . . and the look forward to the models developed with those Bosch motors.

That's a problem. Maybe I got dumb lucky. Have been a roadie since forever and wanted a e-bike with drop bars, but couldn't find any. Gradually it dawned on me that the e-bikes which sold were available were urban or MTB. All had T bars. So started telling myself, you're not going to find the perfect bike the first try, so just bite the bullet, pick something affordable and could be resold. Found a Vado 3 demo which met both criteria and would give me experience with e-bikes so I would know what worked for me. So far so good. Still want the drop bar roadie ride position, but am understanding some of the "why" of e-bike design. Need quite a different bike than analog. Steady state 28 mph is very different than poking along at sub-16. Need the big tires, and the further into the 20+ mph one goes the more suspension becomes a factor.

The Vado 3.0 is has been a good ride and for the $2k I have in it (after discounts and tax rebate) a real bargain. After a hundred hours in the saddle I have learn the "what for" of some of the features on the higher end models. Could go for the slightly more powerful motor in the 5.0, 6.0 (1.3 vs 1.2) and larger drive gear (which will reduce cadence to 95 to reach 28 mph), and the better front shock, am increased battery capacity. These will be on the next bike. But before I get there am thinking of putting drop bars on the 3.0 just to get the wild idea out of my system, . . . and the look forward to the models developed with those Bosch motors.

Congrats on your ebike. Great price!! IMHO, manufacturers will be adding more ebikes with drop bars. Kinda like computers, changes are happening every year.
A side note, one of the best accessory I purchased for my speed Vado was a suspension seat post (maybe you already have one).

Can you explain the tax rebate ?

Back