Flat pedals to clipless pedals and then back to flat pedals.

Trail Cruiser

I shifted to clipless pedals for 2 years after getting fascinated with the idea that I can also power at the up stroke. It was an illusion that I can suddenly go faster with the clipless.

I had a couple of hard falls and using clipless was not really confidence inspiring. The flat pedals are safer for me.

Then I read that using flat pedals can exhaust just enough power of what the heart can supply. Using clipless pedal, in theory, generates more power but there is not enough blood supply when performing peak leg up strokes and down stokes. So the the net output is still limited to how much the heart can pump blood supply, regardless if if you use flat or clipless.

if your legs are over exerting above that of your heart's capacity, you will be accumulating lactic acid.

Then I started having knee pain due to the same exact position. I cannot reposition my foot on the fly. Now that I'm back to flats, I can use my heels and it alleviates my knee pain.

Plus, I can wear any shoes.

Here's another person with similar story.

Last edited:
I love my flat pedals. I do move my feet into different positions. And, I can ride in flip-flops! :D

Agreed. Clipless is one of those things that is so barely more useful over the alternatives that they are simply dumb to use unless you're hell-bent on aping racers in a peloton. For riding around town, a good set of spiky flat pedals is nearly as good and way more practical.

Skinny tires are another, especially after a friend told me he crashed because of skinny tires, in his estimation. Wide slick tires have little to no speed penalty and are far more versatile.

Suspension seatposts and the right ergonomic handlebars are others. And probably internally geared hubs too.

I use clipless on my recumbent trike because of leg suck. It’s for safety, not speed or power gain. I see no reason to use them on a bike.

I tried them briefly in my road bike days, peer pressure being the main reason. But, I’m independent minded enough to go back the platforms, as I could not see any benefits in using them. Rode 5000 miles a year on my Orbea, all on platform pedals.

I've used clipless on my roadbike and MTB for dozens of years. I'm now using Flats on my eMTB, but not sure I'm completely sold on them.

What I like about Clipless on my eMTB;
  • My feet are locked in. On bumpy and technical terrain, my feet won't/don't come off unintentionally
  • It makes "jumping/bunny-hopping" so easy which is important and you are flying down a trail and there is a huge branch across the trail or a huge, deep-tire eating washout
  • Always a very positive connection to the bike
  • Power on the upstroke - On steep climbs it helps as now you've got both legs working to get you up the hill
What I don't like about Clipless on my eMTB is really just one thing; You're feet are pretty much locked into one position. There is some movement, but if you are fatiguing, you can't change foot position without unclipping and the platforms (SPDs) aren't really big enough to be able to reposition your feet....

But for me that is a very minor trade-off. Only in the very beginning of using clipless peddles did I have issues unclipping. But that was done and over with after the first few rides. The ability to unclip in an "emergency" is not an issue for me. Using them is natural...

So why have I started using "flats"? I'm older now and I do like that I can change my foot position to "ease" any discomfort in my foot or knee. I don't do nearly the technical trails I used to do. So I don't feel I need all that control. Although I do find even with the very good aftermarket studded peddles, my feet come off unintentionally. It used to be a big deal to me to have to get off my bike or "dab" while riding", not so much anymore. I'm less competitive now and ride for enjoyment and exercise.

I also still prefer a "cycling" style shoe with a hard or more solid footbed. I wear a type that looks like skateboarding shoes, but the footbed is stiff and hardly flexes which doesn't waste as much energy as a shoe that has a "normal" footbed.

So I'm still on the fence...

I prefer flats for the sake of self-preservation. My commute takes me through about 3 miles of a tough urban neighborhood. Carjackings and robberies I've seen reported in the news from time to time (along my exact route). I figure I need a good multi-purpose shoe should I have to ditch the bike and make a run for it. It also helps that I can wear the same shoe for work which allows jeans as attire. My current favorite commuter shoe is the bmx/skateboard shoes with Michelin rubber soles (extremely stiff) offered by Etnies. Have a few in different colors:

The answer for me was Zefal Cristophe half clips. Easy in and out, and they work on the lift if needed. They have been a stocked item at Trek stores, but Amazon has them, too.

IMG_1619_1.jpg

The answer for me was Zefal Cristophe half clips. Easy in and out, and they work on the lift if needed. They have been a stocked item at Trek stores, but Amazon has them, too.

View attachment 25061
That's a nice design. Looks easy to get in and out of. Does it scuff your shoes? Could probably put some fabric behind it if so anyway.

I also still prefer a "cycling" style shoe with a hard or more solid footbed. I wear a type that looks like skateboarding shoes, but the footbed is stiff and hardly flexes which doesn't waste as much energy as a shoe that has a "normal" footbed.
That was my solution also. It transfers energy to the pedal more efficiently. With less flex, it doesn't wear out my feet as much. And when I get where I'm going, it looks like I'm wearing normal shoes instead of bowling shoes (which is what most clipless shoes look like to me.)

I got these puppies. Love 'em.

....Does it scuff your shoes?...

They would probably scuff dress shoes.

If you get a pair, use a dab of Loctite [242, blue] on the securing screws. Otherwise, they can loosen if you lift often. I frequently ride during the week in work boots so got the 'large' size which accommodate the larger toe box of boots as well as smaller street or riding shoes.

I've had the half clip in the photo on two ebikes, so, yes, they can take a beating.

I used to ride clipless crank brothers pedals in my MTB days. I had a lot of falls in the "rock gardens' while first learning how to use them.

I've said it in another thread before, why choose?

The Shimano PD-T8000 pedals have SPD clips on one side and a great platform on the other (with adjustable pins). I use them on my commuter bike and usually ride with SPDs because I prefer that but can easily ride in any other shoes whenever I want.

Attachments

• 250296_2323657.jpg
    250296_2323657.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 335
I've said it in another thread before, why choose?

The Shimano PD-T8000 pedals have SPD clips on one side and a great platform on the other (with adjustable pins). I use them on my commuter bike and usually ride with SPDs because I prefer that but can easily ride in any other shoes whenever I want.

I have hybrid pedals (a different Shimano version) and took them off. Pedal problems:

1. They have no grip in the rain on the flat side. Pretty scary sometimes.
2. They don't have good spikes for grip on the flat side.
3. Feels like you're always nudging the pedal over to get the flat side.

A530

Attachments

• Shimano PD A530a.jpg
    Shimano PD A530a.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 765
Agree with Asher. The hybrid pedals came with my Catrike, but I got a straight clipless set instead. Much better for me.

Back