Fixing a flat tire on the road is impossible. Should I change my wheels and tire?

Holy cow! That's EXACTLY what I need. Never knew such a thing existed. I'm buying one! And on the 2nd topic, I actually like Presta valves. But 20" tubes with Presta aren't available in the U.S. (or they're very expensive). Most are available in Europe for cheap, but shipping expense and time is very high. This is why I would much prefer a 20" wheel with Schraeder in the U.S. Thank you again!

The bead breaker I linked is designed for motorbikes / 4x4 usage, so possibly a bit bulky for bicycle use - perhaps try adapting a simple G clamp? There are other ( lighter) bead breakers that we use, eg motionpro have a motorbike tyre lever with a lip on the other side that we use to break medium difficulty beads. I must admit, though, the tyre plier ones work!

In the past, I've had two Haibikes and it was very easy to fix a flat on the road. Just carry the usual spare tube, tire levers, and a pump/co2. No problem.

However, my new e-bike comes with the Alex Rims and Shwalbe Big Ben Plus tires. I've seen this combo on other e-bikes as well. These appear to be European and the parts are difficult to find in the U.S. (e.g. 20" presta tubes). Yesterday I had a flat when I got home and I couldn't unseat the bead from the tire. First time I've ever encountered such a difficult tire. After many attempts and Google search for help, I had to take it to my local bike shop. They had a heck of a time as well. It eventually took two techs pulling on it at the same time to unseat the bead. I'm now learning others are having a hard time with the Alex wheel/Big Ben combo.

Problem is that I HAVE to be able to fix a flat on the side of the road. Some of my rides are 20+ miles away from home. With my current wheels/tires, I cannot do that. Anyone else experienced this? Is this because heavy duty bikes (such as cargo/utility) bikes need beefier wheels/tires and you just can't change them roadside?

I'm thinking about purchasing new wheels/tires even though my new bike is only one day old. It is an absolute MUST that I be able to fix a flat on the road. And what combination would you recommend? My rear tire is 26" (10 speed cassette w/quick release) and my front tire is 20" (2.15" wide tire). And they're both presta. I would prefer Shrader since it's much more common in the U.S. (for those sizes).
Here's a Tip for you. I have Alex DP 20's on my 29er, and it's much easier to break the bead on these by inserting Two tire levers about 30 degrees apart from each other. This allows that part of the bead to Pop over the rim, then you just slide one lever along the edge around the tire. ?

As an apprentice mechanic i ran into this a lot, solution, Dawn dish soap and it saves wildlife.
I keep a small bit in a container, freakin' stuff will put a 20 inch tire on a 24 inch rim, just kidding but it really helps

No. I used talcum powder to put everything back together. Would like to wait a couple of weeks before attempting to take it off again. Wanted it to seal with some time before retrying.

I'm confident it could be fixed with a plug/patch on a tubeless tire. But I highly doubt it would self seal with the sealant!

From what I understand, the mess with the fluid is when you have to take it apart. Would be much easier in a garage (which I don't have). And on the road, I guess you can always use a tube in an emergency. I also have too many tubes in my stock, so I need to use 'em up!
A very experienced technician taught me how Howardval. I agree very difficult ubut very possible you have to take all the air out and then squeeze with your fingers across the bead on both sides and work your way around and keep squeezing and take a break cuz you're going to break a Sweat .Keep squeezing with your fingers on the other side and the bead eventually Works off amazing I lucked out being shown how to do it. Wish I could show you a video of it very capable of doing if you knowhow.unseating Alex rims on my R and M delite.

I noticed that a lot motorcycle guys use windex too, would it help?

It doesn't matter if you're a amateur backyard mechanic or professional motorcycle mechanic, they all spray windex on tire.

The windex is to help the tyre slide off the rim AFTER breaking the bead - we still break the bead dry. ( I spent one of my uni holidays changing tyres at a motorbike shop) .

wait.. does OP have a problem breaking the bead?

I thought breaking the bead is only for tubeless tires. I thought his problem was, he couldn't get the tire off because bicycle tire spoons (or tire levers) aren't sufficient enough.

my suggestion was to use windex to slide it off.

Yes, his issue is breaking the bead and he struggled enough to consider the tyreplier bead breakers.

I suspect the tires he has are the cycling equivalent to mitas, and his rims are the cycling equivalent to a dr650 rear....

Here's a Tip for you. I have Alex DP 20's on my 29er, and it's much easier to break the bead on these by inserting Two tire levers about 30 degrees apart from each other. This allows that part of the bead to Pop over the rim, then you just slide one lever along the edge around the tire. ?

There was no way to fit anything between the tire and rim. Levers would not fit. Tried screwdrivers and panel poppers, but they started to damage the tire. If a lever would have fit between the two, it would have broken the seal. But it was too tight. This was attempted by me, the bike manufacturer's reps, and the local bike shop. Didn't work.

As an apprentice mechanic i ran into this a lot, solution, Dawn dish soap and it saves wildlife.
I keep a small bit in a container, freakin' stuff will put a 20 inch tire on a 24 inch rim, just kidding but it really helps

As stated, the local bike shop finally broke the bead. On one side. I brought it home and thought it would be a good idea to break the bead on the other side too. I got a bucket of hot water with dish soap and soaked the wheel for over an hour. I added a teapot of boiling water to it after 30 minutes. Still wouldn't separate. It really seemed like someone had friggin glued this damn thing. I fought tooth and nail and finally got the other side separated. I got some large pliars, pulled the side that was already separated with all my might, then inserted a screwdriver to separate the other side. It was a royal pain in the a$$!

A very experienced technician taught me how Howardval. I agree very difficult ubut very possible you have to take all the air out and then squeeze with your fingers across the bead on both sides and work your way around and keep squeezing and take a break cuz you're going to break a Sweat .Keep squeezing with your fingers on the other side and the bead eventually Works off amazing I lucked out being shown how to do it. Wish I could show you a video of it very capable of doing if you knowhow.unseating Alex rims on my R and M delite.

Since there was a hole in the tube, the air was already out. Others suggested it would be easier to break the bead if there is some air in the tube. But this was not possible. I used a clamp and it would slide off as I tightened it. The tire would eventually squish on both sides. The damn bead would not unseat!

The damn bead would not unseat!
Exactly my experience with a flat whilst riding my Trek Powerfly 5. Most of the kind and helpful words expressed above relate to levering the tyre off (or back over) the rim. The problem that beset us was not being able to get anything in between tyre and rim to start the levering process. I used a taxi.

There was no way to fit anything between the tire and rim. Levers would not fit. Tried screwdrivers and panel poppers, but they started to damage the tire. If a lever would have fit between the two, it would have broken the seal. But it was too tight. This was attempted by me, the bike manufacturer's reps, and the local bike shop. Didn't work.
That’s what I experienced on my Specialized Vado and it didn”t have tubeless tires or rims.
It seemed impossible for me to get a levere between tire and rim. I too thought that the tire was glued to the rim.
Anyway I kept pressing the tire with my weak hands and rotating the wheel. Sort of ”massaging” the tire and suddenly after a long time it came loose. I think it took me 15 minutes .

All you need are 2 Pedro plastic tire levers and a KoolStop Tire Bead Jack.

I've been able to take off and install even the most stubborn tires (continentals beaded and Schwalbe beaded are terrible) ranging from 700x19mm to 700x50mm. Just make sure you pull in the bead inch by inch otherwise it will be tough. The fatter tires are harder to get around but its still easier than pulling on the tire by hand.

The one thing that really helped me get the really tight tire off the rim on my Ripcurrent-S was to let all the air out and rotate the tire so that the valve stem was on the opposite side of the wheel from where I was going to break the bead. There was a little more play on the tire opposite the valve stem and it was just enough to break the bead. I also now swear by Pedro's levers. Those things are awesome.

Back