First impressions of first ride today

Bikeman

I got my bike today. Took it over to my friends shop to put it together.

We had everything together except the front fender and we ran out of time so I just took it down the street and back to see how it is. Couple hours later when I get back I’ll describe it is unbelievable.

This thing rides so good. We haven’t adjusted anything and everything is perfectly adjusted. The gears shift perfect. It just goes click, click, click right into each gear. Brakes were good.

During my test I got it up to 34.2, and on throttle I got it to 24. I have not adjusted the LCD Whatever you call it because we ran out of time.

This bike rides so good I can’t hardly believe it.

People say that the instructions aren’t very good. Before I got my bike I thought they must be stupid. Instructions are stupid. Ridiculous.

I have to say that the bike that I’m coming from I’ve been riding for several years with near the top components. It’s all racing stuff. Putting the bike together it seemed really cheap. The screws and stuff like that are very cheap but that’s what we paid for. We didn’t buy an $8000 or a $5000 E bike. Once you get it together it’s unbelievable.

I didn’t get a book on the LCD (can’t remember the name of it on your handlebars) I ride a long and the battery is green and then it switches to blue. How am I supposed to know what that means?

I heard people complain about a lag. When you start peddling the pedal assist doesn’t kick in right away. If I would’ve not heard that complaint, I would’ve thought this is the way it was supposed to be. As soon as you put your feet on the petals you don’t want them to start right away. Feels good to go about a quarter turn to a half turn at the most before it kicks in allows you to get ready, to get the bike up and start paddling before you have a big motor kick in. That’s not a problem it seems like that’s the way it supposed to be.

With the exception of the bolts being so cheap, this bike surpasses everything I dreamed it would be. Everything about this bike is so good. It rides so good. Everything works just like it supposed to. My rear light works but I thought if you put the brakes on, the tail light supposed to get brighter (break light) but mine doesn’t.

This is such a good bike. Oh I love it. I just took it down the street to see how it rode before we had to go, I couldn’t get off it for almost 2 hours.

again, the gears shift perfect. The brakes work perfect. Everything works perfect. Beautiful bike, super nice.

Nope, motor is not too loud. All the complaints and things that could go wrong, I got none of them. I’ve only ridden it for a couple hours but none of the problems that are reported I got. Everything works beautifully.

I would like to know if you put on the brakes were supposed to have a brake light. I thought it did mine doesn’t.

Ooops!, I forgot. Spokes were embarrassingly loose. You should never get a bike with loose spokes, that’s ridiculous. They didn’t make any noise and they didn’t flex so they just feel loose when you grab them. Maybe I got new, overly flex when you grab them spoke wheels?

I just re-watched the assembly video yeah almost looks like the frame has been updated but they sent you the same bolt.

When you bolt the rack to what they call a “bracket”, there’s is really skinny and almost flat looking. Mines a round tube and you start screwing the bolts in and there’s nowhere to come out the other side and half the bolt is still sticking up. There’s no where for the bolt to go through.

looking at the arc of the fender you see that each end is farther away from the tire then the middle of the fender. It’s farther off and as you go towards the middle it kind of sucks down towards the tire and then the bottom and comes back out so something just doesn’t seem right. I can’t see anything noticeable in the video. Instructions are worthless.

The spot is on page 8 and they’re calling it a rack rack

Well it’s almost 2:00am in the morning and I just got home. I couldn’t get off the thing.

I wanted to tell people of one thing that’s important. I went over to my rad bike friends house and we were riding around in my bike was faster than his but not by much. I went into the settings in my highest setting on 0 to 5 was 50% on number 5. I thought it was fast then, we raised it and I smoked him.
I would say for anybody who got 700 recently, go on and check your pedal assist settings they might be set quite low.

I don’t know if I can get ride one up in trouble but I found a flat straight away. I peddled pretty hard but not 100%. I got the bike to 32.4 and the petal assist was still climbing. this bike is a rocket ship.

Another thing. I had my light down in front of me so I could see potholes or anything. I raised it up and there’s kind of like two circles in front of you on the ground if you raise it up and extend the light out more. I had the lower beam hitting the front tire. So tilt your light up higher a little bit and then I’ll give you two lit areas in front.

People have changed the seat. Quite a few of them so I was expecting a uncomfortable seat. The stock ride1up seat has got to be the most comfortable one I’ve ever ridden on. This is what I mean about nothing that anybody complained about I got. I got everything is just beautiful.

As far as warp speed, I would use a GPS or a smartphone to verify what the controller is telling you. If the controller is set on a smaller wheel size it will state a faster mph. You can adjust it's accuracy by changing the wheel size. But it might be right.

Bikeman...U made me a happy camper.. Almost missed this post. Still following you on "anyone waiting". Congrats. The cheap bolts? Just the bolts for the fenders and things? No major bolts?

Last edited:
Well we did that we verified it. I will confess that I used to race bicycles when I was younger, and even up to a few years a go, I would train 1,400ft elevation in 12 miles three times a week. Don’t know if I could do that now because I’m getting older and I don’t even want to do it.

So many people are buying parts for the bike before they even got it. I spent $45 on the upgrade of the derailleur and this bike needs nothing.

Cheap meaning the bolts. When people say they stripped them I thought they were talking about the threads. It’s the head of the bolts that strip. I kept wanting to use the tools that come with it, because they give you a tool set.

My mechanic friend kept saying, “don’t use that” and he would get out his professional mechanics tools and use those. Interesting, on the video they’re not using the tools that they supplied with the bike. My friend checked before he did anything with an Allen wrench. He got the one supplied and put it in the head and said wow look at this and he could wiggle it.

Another thing was not a bad thing but it drove my friend crazy is this. There’s so much Loctite on these bolts you start turning and they get so hard to turn that you think it’s tight but you have bolts sticking out. We had problems were the bolts almost stopped turning like they were stuck. He would not turn them anymore. I had to scrape some of the Loctite off before the bolt would go in. I very slowly just kept turning and turning past the point where it felt like it was ready to strip.

I can see a bolt caked with Loctight that is hardened could strip the threads of the bike.

I wanted to say again. So many things that people were complaining about are not a problem. “I don’t like this, I think they should change it.” I don’t think so. I think they should leave it all just the way it is. Comfortable seat, slight delay in the pedal assist coming in, everything is just the way it supposed to be, feels good.

Also! Don’t forget to write down or take your camera out and take a picture of your serial number on the head of your bike.

Not only all this, but my front fender doesn’t even wiggle and it doesn’t even make any noise. Front fender is excellent

Last edited:
Well it’s almost 2:00am in the morning and I just got home. I couldn’t get off the thing.

I wanted to tell people of one thing that’s important. I went over to my rad bike friends house and we were riding around in my bike was faster than his but not by much. I went into the settings in my highest setting on 0 to 5 was 50% on number 5. I thought it was fast then, we raised it and I smoked him.
I would say for anybody who got 700 recently, go on and check your pedal assist settings they might be set quite low.

I don’t know if I can get ride one up in trouble but I found a flat straight away. I peddled pretty hard but not 100%. I got the bike to 32.4 and the petal assist was still climbing. this bike is a rocket ship.

Another thing. I had my light down in front of me so I could see potholes or anything. I raised it up and there’s kind of like two circles in front of you on the ground if you raise it up and extend the light out more. I had the lower beam hitting the front tire. So tilt your light up higher a little bit and then I’ll give you two lit areas in front.

People have changed the seat. Quite a few of them so I was expecting a uncomfortable seat. The stock ride1up seat has got to be the most comfortable one I’ve ever ridden on. This is what I mean about nothing that anybody complained about I got. I got everything is just beautiful.
What'd U do about the loose spokes?

Thanks for the review bikeman. Since so many of us on here are based in the USA, we are used to seeing miles per hour. One thing I have a hard time believing is the top speed you claimed, assuming it is in miles per hour. I got my 700 in mid June and the controller (LCD thing) states the maximum assisted speed is either 25 mph or 40 kph. I think your speed is probably set in kilometers per hour. My throttle takes me right to 20 miles per hour without pedalling (or petalling ;-) if you prefer) and the assist when I pedal quit right at 25 miles per hour.

And I believe the comments about the bolts not being the best. Some are showing a little rust on mine after one trip to the beach.

500 mile update.

Mike N I asked about the motor too loud. When I got the bike, the motor was very quiet. It got louder and now at 500 miles it’s so loud I can be 30 yards behind somebody on a path, and they turn around and look at me. I don’t need to yell out, “on your left” because they already know I’m coming.

The motor now is very loud. It wouldn’t bother me much except that if it’s quiet when I bought it, after 135 miles it gets louder, then after a hundred more it gets louder, then louder, what’s next? Seems like the motor can’t get any louder without breaking.

Not only what’s next, but why is it so loud? Does it have gears inside that I need to lube? I can’t imagine it getting any louder and still working.

Does anybody know what specifically is making that noise? It’s not a foreign noise, it’s the normal noise of the motor that’s loud.

tlippy, The bike is so good you can ride it was loose spokes. No I’m just kidding. I bought a spoke wrench and tighten them up. After I was done, it was a little wiggly so I trued it perfect. I have to admit I was proud of myself because it was perfect.

I have ridden the bike all day every day except for a few with smoke from fires. I have fine-tuned all the settings very good. I started with Kevin’s battery display but was not consistent. I did a little better but I’m still fine-tuning the battery so it goes down consistently.

With my current settings, I could never do 34.2 mph. The most with these settings would be 30 maybe 31 but I have no desire to go that fast.
Coming up on 500 miles, nothing has gone wrong, everything works perfect. Still shifts excellent, rides super good. Everything works great.

With a fully charged battery, on pass level two and three I get about 30.1 miles per charge. Was hoping for a little bit better but that’s OK.

bikeman.

bikeman, if you look at lunacycles website you will be able to find a video where they record the sound level of one of their bikes with the standard steel gears and another bike with their nylon replacement gear. Perhaps that will let you figure out if it is gear noise that you hear. There may be nothing that you can do about it, but at least you'd know. Glad you like the rest of the bike.

Send an email to Ride 1 up. I'm sure they will give you a lame reason like they did to me when I received my first generation Limited and the torque sensor was not designed properly. I bought a Sondors Fold XS. No comparison. Received the bike in flawless condition. Ride 1 Up had flimsy box causing damage to a few parts. Sorry for the rant. Now that I have a comparison to reference, I see a big difference in quality. BUT, R1U has better customer service!

I heard people complain about a lag. When you start peddling the pedal assist doesn’t kick in right away.
I think it’s got to be this way — if there isn’t some kind of a lag then the bike could surge forward when people don’t have time for their reaction time to kick in, and be startled. For more immediate assist, a throttle is a great feature.

Back