First Ebike - 2022 Trek Allant+ 7S

rob feature

Region
USA
City
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Hi all,

My utopian fantasy includes mostly leaving my truck in the garage and getting around on a bike. I'm hording 6 bikes at the moment - all mountain bikes except for the new addition. Unfortunately I live a little too far from work to commute on a pushbike practically as I can't show up to work stinky and dirty. An ebike seemed like the obvious answer.

So I just bought my first electric bike with a lot of help from the EBR Youtube channel. Thank you for all the effort you put into this. It's a fantastic resource. I wound up with a Trek Allant + 7S.

1661633813861.png

There's only one disappointment with it - and that's that I didn't do this sooner. I've been riding pushbikes for decades and was a little slow to warm to the idea. When I finally did, I didn't feel like the technology was quite there. But we seem to be at a point now where the major players are honing their craft in this regard and this year it was time to pull the trigger.

I've always spoiled myself with good bikes and felt it was especially important to keep up those standards with an electric. I'm a mountain biker at heart, and whatever I'm on, I tend to ride like a mountain bike. I had a road bike at one point - smashed it up on the first ride. But I also didn't want an electric mountain bike as I prefer to keep that part of my riding analog.

I've ridden into work about every other day since I brought it home last Tuesday. I'd do it more often, but still have to figure out the grocery store angle and am still using the truck for that - no bags yet (open to suggestions there). But I have taken it to dinner twice. Last Saturday I rode it into Denver - 54 miles round trip and it was a truly transformational experience being able to casually put on that kind of mileage simply for a meal and some fresh air.

I could ramble on all day about how awesome this thing is, but I'll keep the intro short. I'm excited to be exploring the more utilitarian side of cycling. Looking forward to spending more time around here and getting to know some of you.

Cheers!

First Impressions

Boy howdy - that's a lot of real estate. I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself or someone else with one of those :)

That's a crazy amount of space though. What a cool little gadget!

I think I'm going to be limited to panniers and whatever I can get on that rear rack. Basil has some interesting options. Just this weekend Trek removed a number of options from their website - limiting the MIK choices. I really like the idea of being able to grab both the panniers at the same time and get my groceries (or work stuff) in that way. Swapping that quickly for a top case for lighter duty also seems appealing. Looks like I can buy one of these pre-made options or use a bracket to mount whatever. I'm tempted to mount a milk crate & see how it goes - maybe it'll help serve as a theft deterrent too :D

Seriously though...bike theft here - the struggle is real. I have a reasonably secure setup at work, but shopping gets a little trickier. Some options don't have a not sketchy place to lock a bike and the thieves here are relentless. I watched 2 guys cut a U-lock off a bike and run off with it in broad daylight on a ride not too long ago. Took them maybe 60 seconds with an angle grinder. This was on a well-traveled bike path next to a road.

So I'm keeping the shopping trips quick. Don't wanna get Pee Wee Hermaned :)

Nice bike
Around here there's a code of order. If you see bike thieves in action you call 911.
Don't watch it happen.
Carry on.
Oh I called the cops. They got a description of the perps' whip along with a tag number.

They didn't believe me when they first showed up. I told them what happened and they were kinda like yeah, right. Then I took them over & showed 'em the cut lock and they started taking notes.

Cops around here aren't exactly tripping over each other to catch bike thieves though.

Great choice for your 1st ebike. My 7s was my 2nd. 5k miles and still love riding it every day. I have added several accessories and made changes/upgrades to drive chain parts as they wear. If you want a laundry list let me know.
32690840-B141-4278-96BB-1DF353AE70C5.jpeg

Great choice for your 1st ebike. My 7s was my 2nd. 5k miles and still love riding it every day. I have added several accessories and made changes/upgrades to drive chain parts as they wear. If you want a laundry list let me know.
View attachment 133401

Always love to hear what folks have modified.

So far I've swapped the cockpit to remedy the narrow OEM setup - used an uncut Ritchey riser bar and Niner stem out of the parts bin. I gained close to 2 inches on each side, and at first it felt off, but after an hour on it I think it's gonna stay. It gives a little on harsher hits. Also took the front tire pressure to about 31 with about 40 in the rear. Those together gave it a wildly more confident feel.

A Niterider Lumina 900 has earned a permanent spot. Blackburn frame bag holds a gore-tex parka, tool kit, sealant, a couple Clif bars, tube, Go Pro batteries, lens wipes, and a few other items probably. Stock pedals got swapped for one of my favorites - Wellgo MG1. Stock pedals had some play at ~200 miles.

Abus 6000K on the vertical bottle mount. Lezyne right exit bottle cage on the downtube. Spare bottle bag behind the saddle. Kinda feel like I haven't even started 🤣

Always love to hear what folks have modified.

So far I've swapped the cockpit to remedy the narrow OEM setup - used an uncut Ritchey riser bar and Niner stem out of the parts bin. I gained close to 2 inches on each side, and at first it felt off, but after an hour on it I think it's gonna stay. It gives a little on harsher hits. Also took the front tire pressure to about 31 with about 40 in the rear. Those together gave it a wildly more confident feel.

A Niterider Lumina 900 has earned a permanent spot. Blackburn frame bag holds a gore-tex parka, tool kit, sealant, a couple Clif bars, tube, Go Pro batteries, lens wipes, and a few other items probably. Stock pedals got swapped for one of my favorites - Wellgo MG1. Stock pedals had some play at ~200 miles.

Abus 6000K on the vertical bottle mount. Lezyne right exit bottle cage on the downtube. Spare bottle bag behind the saddle. Kinda feel like I haven't even started 🤣
My 1st ebike was a Verve+3. But after 2k miles I desired a class 3. The next Trek option that met my criteria of: class 3, front suspension and a decent rear carrier (two of which took the 8s and 9s off my shopping list) was the 7s.

Componentry is not as good as the 8 or 9. Subsequent wear-out/replacements have all been upgrades.

I ride fast and hard when solo. ONLY in Turbo, averaging over 22mph and usually a steady 26-27+. That is why I got the s, and 1,125w of lithium. I also ride a lot with my wife and we lead riding groups, where I ride in Tour. I weigh 150lbs, 71 yrs old.

Accessories added: Front handlebar riser, seat post suspension, fluid saddle, MTB pedals, MIK adapter for trunk

Each replacement is an upgrade:
1,200 miles, New chain, cassette and derailleur

Going to Trek’s e-chain is a must

1,370m Added 500w Range Boost battery, ordered 625w RIB replacement

300m — when I clean and lube chain, more often if needed

2,120m Swapped to the 625w RIB

3,300m Swapped G-Ones to Gravelking tubeless. G-Ones were hardly worn, but not sufficiently puncture resistant.

And yes, I always use Slime or similar, and carry a pump.

3,550m new cassette — after not accurately considering the cassette teeth were worn causing nearly consistent chain skip.

Per today’s ride I am detecting I will replace the cassette again before taking it to AZ for the winter. I would prefer to change only the outside 2 gears — the only ones that get worn — taking most of the hard hits.

5,000m Frt & Rr Brake Pads, and Rear Rotor

Tools in trunk: CYCPLUS tire pump, the Original Handlebar Jackstand, a Multi-tool, and assorted other tools and stuff.

Go to bikesmart.com. The double wide panniers are on sale. I buy about three of these per month and sell them to friends and locals at cost. They have 3M reflex. And they are easy to remove.

@rob feature: Congratulations on your first e-bike! I'm always happy to hear early impressions of people getting a quality e-bike. Pity your video was slightly disturbed by the wind noise but I assume the wind is the Coloradian thing! :)

You mentioned you needed wider bars. It has to be because of your preference of MTB with their super wide handlebars? Funnily, most of riders getting a bike with a 680 mm handlebars feel the urge to trim them...

A stuck fork? Use your warranty!

Many happy miles!

Go to bikesmart.com. The double wide panniers are on sale. I buy about three of these per month and sell them to friends and locals at cost. They have 3M reflex. And they are easy to remove.
Thanks for the recommendation. I wound up ordering a set of the Basil Sport 32L MIK double panniers today. I found an open box set for $65 & figured I couldn't go wrong there. Still looking around for a top case. Kinda liking what I see in the Basils there too, but I wanna see what I think about their panniers first.

@rob feature: Congratulations on your first e-bike! I'm always happy to hear early impressions of people getting a quality e-bike. Pity your video was slightly disturbed by the wind noise but I assume the wind is the Coloradian thing! :)

You mentioned you needed wider bars. It has to be because of your preference of MTB with their super wide handlebars? Funnily, most of riders getting a bike with a 680 mm handlebars feel the urge to trim them...

A stuck fork? Use your warranty!

Many happy miles!

Heh, yeah, I need to get a dead cat for the GoPro. It is definitely windy here more than it's not. Ebike definitely helps with those days where the wind turns around on you and you have a headwind there and back 🤪

Yeah not sure about the whys, but I definitely prefer wider bars on my MTBs. I have a One-Up Carbon bar on my Timberjack that I never cut. I started out where the bars on my Yeti SB were, then went a little wider. Then a little wider. Then finally just pushed the grips to the end and tried it like that and I don't think I'm going to cut them. They're 800mm 🤣. Good thing I don't ride tight trees too much. I've heard bikefitters say do a few pushups and wherever you're comfortable - that's a good ballpark. I've found that to be a good rule.

Yeah definitely going to run the bike back to the shop to see what they can do about that stuck preload adjuster. I really don't think I'm going to get much more travel out of it as the stanchion is showing full travel - there's just a lot left that will never go into the lower. But I would like the ability to use the preload adjuster. I also think I'm going to start looking for a better fork. The mediocre stuff drives me nuts. I have no idea what's out there in lower travel forks, but this is some of the worst suspension I've ever tried. Spare Thudbuster is a 30.9 as well, so gotta shop those options around.

I also think I'm going to start looking for a better fork.
With your MTB experience, I am sure you could manage it. Although it is not easy to find a short travel fork (and, especially, an air-fork) meeting all criteria such as the hub size, axle thread, the design of the headset and so on.

I definitely prefer wider bars on my MTBs.
Super wide bars are appropriate for MTBs, as they give you better steering control and allow you for more forward riding position. When I owned my e-MTB, I was happy with its 780 mm bars. Nothing wrong with you if you like wide bars! I'm more unhappy to hear some people want to trim their beautifully designed 680 mm bars made with a purpose. While nothing stops them to install SQlab Innerbarends (grips) that are only 440 mm apart (like in road bike handlebars), and they could retain the whole width of their existing bars!

Last edited:
I've 80mm Coil Mobie on Xroad and really like it, definitely better than lower spec Suntour on wife's bike. Good at ironing out rough roads and can still handle odd big hit. Have quality airforks on MTBs and never felt need to upgrade. Get preload sorted under warranty and then see what you think.

Have multiple ebikes with Purion controller never had issue with coin batteries. Only change one set as thought it might be good idea, voltage was still good. Suspect they only draw power on turn on after that run off bike battery.

If you what more clearance on front mudguard loosen screws where rods go into holder. Should be able to pull rods out few mms.

My 1st ebike was a Verve+3. But after 2k miles I desired a class 3. The next Trek option that met my criteria of: class 3, front suspension and a decent rear carrier (two of which took the 8s and 9s off my shopping list) was the 7s.

Componentry is not as good as the 8 or 9. Subsequent wear-out/replacements have all been upgrades.

I ride fast and hard when solo. ONLY in Turbo, averaging over 22mph and usually a steady 26-27+. That is why I got the s, and 1,125w of lithium. I also ride a lot with my wife and we lead riding groups, where I ride in Tour. I weigh 150lbs, 71 yrs old.

Accessories added: Front handlebar riser, seat post suspension, fluid saddle, MTB pedals, MIK adapter for trunk

Each replacement is an upgrade:
1,200 miles, New chain, cassette and derailleur

Going to Trek’s e-chain is a must

1,370m Added 500w Range Boost battery, ordered 625w RIB replacement

300m — when I clean and lube chain, more often if needed

2,120m Swapped to the 625w RIB

3,300m Swapped G-Ones to Gravelking tubeless. G-Ones were hardly worn, but not sufficiently puncture resistant.

And yes, I always use Slime or similar, and carry a pump.

3,550m new cassette — after not accurately considering the cassette teeth were worn causing nearly consistent chain skip.

Per today’s ride I am detecting I will replace the cassette again before taking it to AZ for the winter. I would prefer to change only the outside 2 gears — the only ones that get worn — taking most of the hard hits.

5,000m Frt & Rr Brake Pads, and Rear Rotor

Tools in trunk: CYCPLUS tire pump, the Original Handlebar Jackstand, a Multi-tool, and assorted other tools and stuff.

Yeah that's some of the best advice ever - upgrade parts when you replace. Most of the time anyway. I don't always upgrade cassettes if I'm spending a lot more money for a couple aluminum rings, but for most folks buying an entry to mid-level bike and upgrading as things need to be replaced is solid strategy.

I'll definitely look into the upgraded chain. The KMC 9 speed on it doesn't seem like anything special. I keep a chain breaker and couple spare links on me 'cause electric, but a sturdier chain seems like a no-brainer. I've never broken a chain, but I've never put this much power into one either.

For the 625 Wh swap, do you just take the nylon spacer out and fit the larger battery?

As for sealant I think I'm going to stick in a few ounces of Stans. I have no idea how well sealant works inside tubes, but theoretically it works. Even if it won't seal the tube puncture, it might seal the tire puncture. And as long as you don't burp the bead, it should hold air if you keep riding 'till it seals. Theoretically :)

Gotta check out that Handlebar Jackstand thing. And I keep thinking a centerstand would be a sweet addition. Can you tell I used to ride heavy dual sports? :)

I don't always upgrade cassettes if I'm spending a lot more money for a couple aluminum rings,
For the 625 Wh swap, do you just take the nylon spacer out and fit the larger battery?
As for sealant I think I'm going to stick in a few ounces of Stans.
Gotta check out that Handlebar Jackstand thing.
I am looking at my 3rd cassette in just over 5k miles. I only use the three outer gears. Can I get just the 2 outer gears? Shimano

E-chain still good - not measuring stretch.

In essence, yes, replace the spacer, but no, it was not a user-replaceable part. My dealer assembled the battery, mounting kit and the new skin.

I kept the 500w RIB and sold it.

Yes, sealants work in tubes as well. One downside, if the sealant cannot plug a bigger hole, you have a real mess inside your tire. FYI, I also carry a plug repair kit for the tubeless.

I use the handlebar jacks frequently. They have come in handy on the trail as well. Very cool how they snap together for storage. 3-D printed parts

Last edited:
Hi all,

My utopian fantasy includes mostly leaving my truck in the garage and getting around on a bike. I'm hording 6 bikes at the moment - all mountain bikes except for the new addition. Unfortunately I live a little too far from work to commute on a pushbike practically as I can't show up to work stinky and dirty. An ebike seemed like the obvious answer.

So I just bought my first electric bike with a lot of help from the EBR Youtube channel. Thank you for all the effort you put into this. It's a fantastic resource. I wound up with a Trek Allant + 7S.

View attachment 133374

There's only one disappointment with it - and that's that I didn't do this sooner. I've been riding pushbikes for decades and was a little slow to warm to the idea. When I finally did, I didn't feel like the technology was quite there. But we seem to be at a point now where the major players are honing their craft in this regard and this year it was time to pull the trigger.

I've always spoiled myself with good bikes and felt it was especially important to keep up those standards with an electric. I'm a mountain biker at heart, and whatever I'm on, I tend to ride like a mountain bike. I had a road bike at one point - smashed it up on the first ride. But I also didn't want an electric mountain bike as I prefer to keep that part of my riding analog.

I've ridden into work about every other day since I brought it home last Tuesday. I'd do it more often, but still have to figure out the grocery store angle and am still using the truck for that - no bags yet (open to suggestions there). But I have taken it to dinner twice. Last Saturday I rode it into Denver - 54 miles round trip and it was a truly transformational experience being able to casually put on that kind of mileage simply for a meal and some fresh air.

I could ramble on all day about how awesome this thing is, but I'll keep the intro short. I'm excited to be exploring the more utilitarian side of cycling. Looking forward to spending more time around here and getting to know some of you.

Cheers!

First Impressions

I've had Trek bikes from early 80's - always was a quality made bike.
But this is a really good looking unit.
Thanks for sharing.
I loved the saddle bags I had, still use as a daily carry to the store.
It has a pair of quick clips on back side that simply clipped onto rear rack pretty much what you have.
I picked them up in Amsterdam.
I'll try to shoot a couple samples, and update.
Cheers

I've had Trek bikes from early 80's - always was a quality made bike.
But this is a really good looking unit.
Thanks for sharing.
I loved the saddle bags I had, still use as a daily carry to the store.
It has a pair of quick clips on back side that simply clipped onto rear rack pretty much what you have.
I picked them up in Amsterdam.
I'll try to shoot a couple samples, and update.
Cheers

This is my 2nd Trek. I still have the other - a '90s 6000 that a lot of us called mountain bikes back then. I don't know what's 'officially' considered the first mountain bike unless we're considering klunkers, but compared to what was available at the time, it was more capable than most. What suspension?, 26" 1.75 rubber, cantilever rim brakes, grip shift, and a rather dodgy looking cockpit compared to today's standards. I've never ridden this hard, but had a Cannondale F400 around that time that was similar. We'd take these things down black diamond trails and never think anything of it.

I was at a buddy's house about a decade ago and noticed this lying under piles of crap in the garage - somehow still pretty cherry I assume by the lack of time he spent on it & being covered in garage crap. I asked him about it and he seemed a little shocked I would find it appealing. I started to explain what about it makes it cool and he paused me and said 'what'll you give me for it'? $100? Sold right there on the spot.

I rode this bike almost daily for the year I lived in Boulder, CO. It's still the smoothest bike I own as long as you stay on reasonably smooth terrain like bike paths. 30ish years old and still rides like a dream. Or will when I put on some new rubber. This one was also built by hand in the USA which adds value to me. And not only to me. Go see what a handmade US frame costs. I haven't priced one lately, but I'd be shocked if you could get a frame for under $2500.

I need to get wheels back on it & take some better pictures but this is shortly after I brought her home. 100% stock except the tires.

1662333553501.png

Back