First accident

Yeah. Downhill paved path, Sport was off (as I tend to try to ride it no power)... just lost control after I hit the wascally wabbit. Went flying into a cement drainage ditch from what my friend told me... lucky to be in one piece although I have numerous injuries.

View attachment 65932

MIPS Giro helmet saved my brain.
Just as an FYI, I emailed Giro about how their helmet saved me from a serious (possible deadly) head injury and they offered to replace my helmet. Not sure if that's for all cases but that's really good customer service.

Just as an FYI, I emailed Giro about how their helmet saved me from a serious (possible deadly) head injury and they offered to replace my helmet. Not sure if that's for all cases but that's really good customer service.
Trek/Bontrager offers that for the first year, at least on their MIPS or Wave helmets.

What surprised me is I didn’t even ask for a replacement even though I know they have a program for it. I already bought a new Giro shortly after my accident because I wanted to go riding. They didn’t even ask for a serial number or proof of purchase... just said pick a helmet and give them my address.

I’m not going to be greedy and I’ll just get a similarly priced helmet for one of my kids. :)

What surprised me is I didn’t even ask for a replacement even though I know they have a program for it. I already bought a new Giro shortly after my accident because I wanted to go riding. They didn’t even ask for a serial number or proof of purchase... just said pick a helmet and give them my address.

I’m not going to be greedy and I’ll just get a similarly priced helmet for one of my kids. :)
That is great customer service!

Hi, get well soon, for what it’s worth, if dog not on a lead I stop and wait until they pass, look after yourself.

sorry to hear of your fall. I too had an accident recently, first in many years. hit a hose left out on a construction site insufficiently perpendicularly also. only hurt my foot, but it's been healing achy for a couple months.

i think there's a lot to be said for just taking janky situations super slowly or stopping. there's no rush. Im back on the bike but im taking things even easier than before. pedal hard when the coast is clear. if there's any hint of something awry, i wont be afraid to stop!

I have had 2 'perpendicular' accidents: To avoid a bike coming up the street the wrong way, I tried to cross some trolley tracks while wearing toe clips. Tore my ACL clean off the bone.

The second time was when I was passing cars in traffic in the bike lane. There was road work, and I caught a tire between 1 inch gap between the iron plate covering work and the side of the road. Threw me into the back of a car. Bent my frame and I got a few chin stiches.

It's one of the most valuable lessons in road cycling: CROSS PARALLEL HAZARDS AT A PERPENDICULAR ANGLE.

With regard to safety, just got a Bontrager wave cell helmet. It's a little bit heavier than my ancient Giro, but has a nice adjustment system. There is some controversy about the effectiveness of wave cell technology, but Trek claims it is adds another layer of safety to MITS, which helps with Rotational Impact injuries Wave cell technology is supposed to aid against impact injuries. Might be worth checking into...

Last edited:
Well, with alot of post accident well wishes from the gang here, it's interesting we haven't heard back from The TravelBug since 19 September. Maybe a progress report on post-accident healing is in order; whatcha think?

I spent over 3 years in Southeast Iowa, Keokuk to be specific. Beautiful state, wonderful people. Big bluffs along the Mississippi, perfect for pedal assist.

It's one of the most valuable lessons in road cycling: CROSS PARALLEL HAZARDS AT A PERPENDICULAR ANGLE.

i'm semi-terrified of this; we have lots of streetcar/cable car tracks and subway ventilations grates in the road. on my road bike i slow to almost nothing and cross them as close to 90 as possible.

somehow i managed to not do this while riding my e-scooter a few blocks a week or two ago. turning onto a street with cable car tracks, without even realizing what happened, i was thrown forward onto the ground violently. scooter may have actually flipped over. road rash and bruises on both hands and very nasty cut/scrape/bruise on my left hip. miraculously, no other injuries, but every pedestrian in the area was terrified, offered to call 911 etc. this has only added to my sense that the scooter (a boosted rev, 750w, two wheel drive) is much more dangerous than any bike. but it's SO convenient and fun!

i'm semi-terrified of this; we have lots of streetcar/cable car tracks and subway ventilations grates in the road. on my road bike i slow to almost nothing and cross them as close to 90 as possible.

somehow i managed to not do this while riding my e-scooter a few blocks a week or two ago. turning onto a street with cable car tracks, without even realizing what happened, i was thrown forward onto the ground violently. scooter may have actually flipped over. road rash and bruises on both hands and very nasty cut/scrape/bruise on my left hip. miraculously, no other injuries, but every pedestrian in the area was terrified, offered to call 911 etc. this has only added to my sense that the scooter (a boosted rev, 750w, two wheel drive) is much more dangerous than any bike. but it's SO convenient and fun!
That sounds painful. Hope you're ok. I saw a guy take a terrible tumble on one of those Bird or Lime scooters after he hit the cable car track at the wrong angle. Face plant at rush hour.

It’s the same approaching a sidewalk from off in the grass at an oblique angle. Took a fall last summer doing 5-10 mph onto the sidewalk and felt like I’d broken a couple of ribs. Thank goodness I didn’t but also that I had my helmet and gloves on!

It’s the same approaching a sidewalk from off in the grass at an oblique angle. Took a fall last summer doing 5-10 mph onto the sidewalk and felt like I’d broken a couple of ribs. Thank goodness I didn’t but also that I had my helmet and gloves on!
I’ve hit the deck not once but twice because of the oblique angle, the first time 3 years ago in the rain (couldn’t see high curb edge), the last time 3 months ago because my human power petered out on a hill and I needed to quickly get onto the adjacent sidewalk. That incident actually triggered my Turbo Vado SL purchase so it turned out ok even though I still have a bit of red skin on the knee. My new rule is no street riding in Tokyo or elsewhere - dedicated bike paths only. I have access to a 14km peripheral road around a military airfield within the security perimeter so that’s one exception I’ll make because only ramp vehicles and aircraft pass on the tarmac.

That sounds painful. Hope you're ok. I saw a guy take a terrible tumble on one of those Bird or Lime scooters after he hit the cable car track at the wrong angle. Face plant at rush hour.
I was lucky. Very shaken up, but no permanent damage except to the steering tube of the scooter, which only freely turns one direction now.

Also VERY lucky that there is little to no traffic on these downtown streets now; my nightmare is for one of my kids to have an otherwise not-serious little crash turned much worse by a car.

Back