Finally, over the air update for Turbos (including CREO), but with a caveat

Seems Specialized has finally allowed over the air updates for the Turbo (including the CREO): Watch the tutorial video
However, updates to the battery firmware still requires you to take it into the shop 🤨 oh well, 2 out of 3 firmware over the air updates is better than nothing.
Nothing exciting. It pertains to the latest Specialized Turbo e-bikes with the Mastermind TCU or TCD-w Gen 2. The users of older e-bikes still have to visit the LBS.

I have just done my update, not at all difficult to do, I haven’t tried the new features yet but I’ll try them out later.

I've received an email from Specialized telling me my Turbo eBike has a new lock PIN. Why? I was perfectly happy with the original one. I've not updated the firmware or anything else. That's not even my bike which is rather lazy way to prepare the email ;).
Screenshot 2022-04-14 at 16.19.03.png

Last year's firmware update of my Gen 1 Vado SL and Creo was a bit painful. It took a few tries by the techs at my LBS to get it done. This year, I'm waiting a bit before I take my e-rides into the shop for a firmware update. All you early adopters, be sure to post your experiences here ;)

After updating MC on my iPhone a few days ago, it said my 2021 Vado SL 5.0 needed a firmware update. I took it to the LBS where I purchased it--Mike's Bikes in Berkeley, CA--and they did the update. It was very simple, took about five minutes, and completed with no problems. All the tech did was unscrew the TCU, plug in a USB cable and connect it to his laptop. The software guided the process, which included "calibrating" the motor. The tech removed the chain (easy to do) and spun the pedals several times. He did that twice in the process. The whole thing was so quick and easy that I wonder why we end-users can't do that on our own. Over-the-air updating is easier, but using the USB cable connected to a computer isn't exactly difficult.

he whole thing was so quick and easy that I wonder why we end-users can't do that on our own. Over-the-air updating is easier, but using the USB cable connected to a computer isn't exactly difficult.
Specialized (as any other large corporation) is only interested to sell new e-bikes. Helping the users of older models with new advanced features does not bring any money, and the development costs money.
We should be happy we could buy our premium e-bikes in the past and can use them today. These are still very modern, and why should we need any updates?!

Specialized (as any other large corporation) is only interested to sell new e-bikes. Helping the users of older models with new advanced features does not bring any money, and the development costs money.
We should be happy we could buy our premium e-bikes in the past and can use them today. These are still very modern, and why should we need any updates?!
Sure, all companies, big and small, are primarily interested in selling what they make. But one way for any company to retain customers and incentivize them to purchase more or newer products is through customer support. While a support department may not generate revenue, it can certainly go a long way to keeping customers happy--and that includes improving the way existing products function through updates. As for needing updates, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it!" No one says you have to update your e-bike's firmware. I can think of very few products that use software that doesn't get updated from time to time. Do you update your mobile phone OS and apps, your PC or Mac OS, your TV software? The list is endless. I'm very happy that Specialized updates Mission Control and Ride from time to time, and I assume (correctly, I hope) that the updates offer improvements. I don't know what the recent e-bike firmware update provides, but I'm willing to assume there are performance improvements.

After updating MC on my iPhone a few days ago, it said my 2021 Vado SL 5.0 needed a firmware update. I took it to the LBS where I purchased it--Mike's Bikes in Berkeley, CA--and they did the update. It was very simple, took about five minutes, and completed with no problems. All the tech did was unscrew the TCU, plug in a USB cable and connect it to his laptop. The software guided the process, which included "calibrating" the motor. The tech removed the chain (easy to do) and spun the pedals several times. He did that twice in the process. The whole thing was so quick and easy that I wonder why we end-users can't do that on our own. Over-the-air updating is easier, but using the USB cable connected to a computer isn't exactly difficult.
So then, what actually has changed, improved or ? with the new update?

This is my very non-tech take on the update.

I think it's a case of evolution rather than revolution and don't see any of the things are hugely significant (at least to my use of the bike). I don't have the relevant SRAM gearing, the lock/PIN might be useful but it's not going to stop anyone really determined (or a pro), I know when a ride is being recorded on MC without the TCU display telling me as well and I've not really got the hang of microtune in the first place (yet).

So then, what actually has changed, improved or ? with the new update?
I’ve noticed no change in my 2021 Vado SL 5.0. It would be nice if there was a “what’s new” doc, but I’m not aware of one. Clearly there’s new stuff for the bikes with Mastermind.

This is my very non-tech take on the update.

I think it's a case of evolution rather than revolution and don't see any of the things are hugely significant (at least to my use of the bike). I don't have the relevant SRAM gearing, the lock/PIN might be useful but it's not going to stop anyone really determined (or a pro), I know when a ride is being recorded on MC without the TCU display telling me as well and I've not really got the hang of microtune in the first place (yet).
Well if you set the lock and if unfortunately the bike is stolen at least the thieves won’t be able to use the motor, and only pedal it manually.

Back