Finally got a rack but have questions about ebike transport.

Neverlost

Region
USA
I am concerned about rain on our upcoming 700 mile trip. I was thinking of removing the battery and then wrapping some of the parts of the bike with some sticky plastic poly plastic wrap. I would wrap the display and the throttle and around the battery components. My other option would be to just put a bike cover on the bike and then use that plastic wrap to really secure the covered so it wasn’t noisy. How do you guys do it?

I wrap plastic bags with rubber bands around the displsy, throttle, and control buttons.Battery goes into car. All I have on my bikes is a connector. No cradle to worry about, A bike cover would be like a huge drag on my little car. If you have a big enough engine, sure.

Last summer, we hit a brief 10 minute storm, where I could barely see, Had not expected it to rain, so I didn't water proof. Both displays were steamed up when I got home, but they're OK after let them dry out.

Definitely want to take the battery off for transport. I do the same as above, trash bag over the battery case to protect the contacts again no battery in it. Then put a baggie over the controller

Also consider taking off seats. Or cover them. Keep them dry? And plastic cable ties to keep your bike cables from unnecessary flapping in the wind. Definitely take batteries out. A rear-end bump could send them bouncing down the highway. We travel 1,800 miles cross country with no problems. When staying at hotels I usually back against a wall, tree or other object that helps reduce chances of loss. Add Velcro straps to keep wheels tied to carrier.
Keep in mind that your vehicle’s brake lights will not be visible. I made a light bar that I strap to the outside bike and plug into the vehicle’s lights. I use this whenever I transport my bikes. And, every state requires your rear license plate to be visible and lighted. That is another bracket I made but don’t always use.
IMG_5288.jpeg

Good point about the lights. Also in many states now they're cracking down on invisible license plates. Consider getting a license plate holder for your bike rack and make sure it has lights cuz that's a part of legality too. Thule makes a great license plate holder with a two socket license plate lights

I use ziplocs and rubber bands over the displays. Or cling wrap and rubber bands over throttles and PAS panels. If the bike is going to be parked, a full cover is a sound investment. For my great big cago bike I bought a motorcycle cover for sixty bucks and its perfect. Elastic bottom keeps it on in the wind but it also has a cable I can use.

Remember that any pannier is a waterproof pannier if you put a kitchen trash can liner inside of it and rubber-band the top of the bag shut. Smaller wastebasket liners can be used for individual dry bags, too.

I purchased a bike cover that encases two fat tire ebikes completely and ties off at the bike rack hitch arm. It folds up to a size of a large pillow when not in use, has semi-transparent panels for brake lights, and installs in minutes. The version I have was purchased back in 2016. The newer versions cost 2X more and have a license plate holder. Might have to look into AUX 4-way light option if rear lights are covered too much from ebikes tires and having the cover on. I like to use the cover if I need to park overnight at a motel and less prep work wrapping/removing parts if you have a short drive or a fast moving storm.

The downsides with the cover for me are:
- felt like having a parachute on the back of my 7-passenger SUV. There was a slight difference with a little less mpgs (similar to driving in stiff headwind)
- Covering up of rear back-up camera, back up lights, covered up license plate if you don't move it, and obscured rear lights during the day. I moved license plate to bike rack for long out of town trips and purchased AUX 4-way lights for added safety on the bike rack in up/down position w/ or w/o fat tire ebikes on rack.

bike cover.jpg

Last edited:
I use a two-part cover mainly to protect my fatbike during transport when road crud can do a nasty job with messing up the bike’s exterior as well as its drivetrain components. The rear and front pieces simply zip off and can be easily rinsed off afterwards. The company also sells seat and handlebar covers but I purchased ones through Amazon which work quite well. The bike jackets, which are available in two sizes, fit snuggly enough so as not to incur much wind turbulence and the clear windows over the wheels allow the brake lights to be visible. These are not cheap covers but I figured that it’s worth protecting the investment on the back of the vehicle where most of the damaging elements get thrown up. The covers also have built in HD inner liners to protect them if your bike is shod with studded tires.

PXL_20240210_185551444.jpg

PXL_20240210_210209503.jpg

Back