Fat Tire or no?

dmillat74

I’ve been looking at a Juiced RCS, Juggernaut Classic, or if I decide to not go fat tire, the electric bike company model c. I love the look of the fat tire and I’ve ridden one, briefly, and liked it (RCS). But the model c is a beautiful ride and probably a much better road cruiser... which is what I will be riding on 90-95% of the time. Any thoughts on if getting a fat tire over a model c cruiser if a good idea? This is my first ebike.

Fat tires are best in deep snow, mud, and sand because fat tires have float. I like having a throttle in really mushy conditions so that I can focus on staying upright and let the motor do the work.

There is debate of about the utility of fat tires on ice. On the one hand there is larger contact area. On the other hand studs on a narrower tire will be driven deeper into ice.

Fat tires provide better suspension than narrow tires on a rigid bike and will be less likely to go flat when you hit a pothole. You will have a smoother ride on a rigid fat bike than a rigid narrow-tire bike. And if you choose to forgo front fork and rear suspension on a fat tire bike, you will have fewer maintenance hassles and have a lighter, more maneuverable bike than the not-rigid equivalent.

Fat tires decrease the maneuverability of a bike and will draw more battery power to achieve the same speed as a narrower tire.

The thing to do is get those wretched knobbies off if you primarily ride on streets or paths. I went with a 3.5 inch Speedster and I'm totally satisfied. Huge difference.

The thing to do is get those wretched knobbies off if you primarily ride on streets or paths. I went with a 3.5 inch Speedster and I'm totally satisfied. Huge difference.

I ride my fat tire bike (4x20) almost entirely on the street. What is the best street option for a 4x20 in regards to comfort and road noise?

Seeing more and more choices to pick from that will get rid of the knobby buzz/roar when operated on pavement. When looking for an on/off road hybrid, I think a fatty with a pavement strip in the center of the tread sounds like a great plan.

3.5 wide wouldn't bother me much either....

Been riding mountain bikes for over 35 years, went Fat Tire ebike a couple years ago and been riding it year-round. If your road riding 4” is fine if you have the right tires and increase PSI, or just increase PSI on any tire your bike comes with and you'll do fine. I just did a 25 mile ride the other day on paved bike trails here in Anchorage, get funny looks when I smoke by them acoustic bike.

Once you get use to a fat tire bike, you’ll find it more stable and less effected by riding surface imperfections.

Ride On!

Last edited:
Been riding mountain bikes for over 35 years, went Fat Tire ebike a couple years ago and been riding it year-round. If your road riding 4” is fine if you have the right tires and increase PSI, or just increase PSI on any tire your bike comes with and you'll do fine. I just did a 25 mile ride the other day on paved bike trails here in Anchorage, get funny looks when I smoke by them acoustic bike.

Once you get use to a fat tire bike, you’ll find it more stable and less effected by riding surface imperfections.

Ride On!

Are your 4" tires knobbies or more like street tires?

I see no reason to have fat tires if riding on pavement 95% of the time. All that rolling mass will have a gyroscopic effect and that is why fat bikes are not as nimble. I rode one for 1,700 miles, but it had spider webs on it when I sold it this year after getting an eBike with 2.4" tires.

Last edited:
I see no reason to have fat tires if riding on pavement 95% of the time. All that rolling mass will have a gyroscopic effect and that is why fat bikes are not as nimble. I rode one for 1,700 miles, but it had spider webs on it when I sold it this year after getting an eBike with 2.4" tires.

But, when you have big power, the added resistance means nothing and fat tires are so much forgiving on bad city streets. I did ride a Bosch powered Fat bike and it sucked.

I have two 2016 Radrovers with +7200 miles between them at 50/50 mix of trail/road. Switched out the standard Kenda Juggernauts 30 tpi 26X4 after 1000 miles to Vee8 120 tpi 26X4 (Vee8 has more closer spaced knobbies like a road tire; but, can do off-road). Very comfy ride with the 18-22 PSI in the tires adding extra suspension comfort. Very low road noise, less rolling resistance, better battery range, longer tire wear, faster acceleration, and better high speed stability with the Vee8 tires.

What I really like about the 26X4 tires over my old bike 700X40c tires are:
- way smoother ride on all surfaces
- I can transition from road, sand, rocks, broken pavement, etc.. at a much higher speed compared to thinner tires
- always turns heads or a conversation starter
- feels like the fat tires stop better with the larger contact patch

What I don't like with fat tires:
- size, needed to purchase larger trays for my platform bike rack, takes up a lot of storage space, larger tubes/tires/rims
- not a lot of fat tire choices, choices we do have are not as flat resistant as other thinner brands (1-3 tubes a year even with Stans+Mr. Tuffy liners)
- kicks up a ton of water/muck/mud, going to take a bath if you don't have fenders

I would have probably gone with an ebike with plus size tires in 2-2.5 inch range if I was +85% city.

I own a 20" fat tire folder and a 26" fat tire ebike, both with tires narrower and smoother than what came with the bikes.

Not liking either very much this year. They just feel too heavy and ponderorus. I'm having to move up two assist levels to climb hills I barely notice in level 1 with my lighter e-bikes. Maybe it's me.

Back