Fastroad E+ EX PRO

Essentially, we have two of them. I bought the E+ for myself around thanksgiving, then I bought the Thrive (the liv version, exact same bike) for the wife.

The seat is a bit unique in that it has a soft 'built in suspension' feature that is supposed to help make the ride more stable. I don't know if I have really noticed that impact very much yet. One of the neat things is that it does have a measure indicator so its really easy to adjust your stem. (Some of my older bikes have this, most dont though). I have taken it on numerous rides. Handling is pretty good. Battery life is one of the areas I am a bit frustrated. Because it has built in lights, and the lights also affect the display and battery life.

Unfortunately, with the way that the lights are configured -- You *cannot* turn off the lights and have the display be usable, its too dim. Additionally, with the lights on, you might be able to get about 45 miles, 50 at the most. (I've been able to get around that with it on lowest level of PAS).

Overall though, love the bike. I currently have a ticket open with giant (through my retailer, and separately) to track an issue with the bike computer software having incompatiblity with any aftermarket computers -- pairing the bike causes some sort of signal misreport that makes the bike enter maintenance mode, and you don't get any of the data from it.

That about covers what I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks!

The range is quite low. I guess that's expected given the small battery. 😕

Will keep an eye on your other thread about the computer issue. Hopefully, its simply a matter of a young firmware for this new ebike.

Also disappointed to read that the display is not usable in normal conditions. Do you know if its only on this ebike or all EVO display are too dim?

Cheers!

Hi Balinus, are you not afraid to ride the speed bike in Canada? Or, are you considering the 32 km/h version?

Generally, Giant e-bikes, apart from excellent Yamaha motors sport small batteries. Have you considered brands such as Specialized, BH, Haibike? If you look at BH or Haibike, always check the motor used (can be Brose, Yamaha, Bosch, etc). Hardly any company except Riese & Mueller can deliver Bosch Gen4 motors, so pay attention to Brose or Yamahas that are excellent motors.

I was planning about derestricting the canadian version. About 15km of my commute is on back roads where I'll essentially be alone (this is where I want support up to speed > 32km/h). The other 15km is in Montréal. I plan to respect speed limits in those sections. There's too many stop light to be able to go over 32km/h anyway.

I have looked at Specialized and Haibike. For Specialized, the 500Wh Vado 4.0 is interesting but cost more than the Fastroad. I dont know the price of the range extender but I think that it will drive the price up to the price of the Vado 4.0 and this would essentially be a choice between a 500Wh battery vs 375 + 250 Wh battery. Also, I prefer Yamaha over Brose (is this rational?).

The haibike were interesting but the cost is too high (6300$ cad for the model I was looking) for my budget (I'd like to be around 4000-4500$ max).

Didnt knew about BH. Will look into it! Although I prefer Yamaha.

Cheers!

BH use both Yamaha and Brose motors in their bikes and they also have their own branded motors (I would not take a risk with the latter). All depends on the model line. Please check more closely. Unluckily BH do not seem to have a speed model (they had Nitro but I cannot see it among current models).

I would say both Yamaha and Brose are equivalent. Yamaha PW-X motors are stronger and I think a little bit noisier than Brose but it is not as bad as in for example older generations of Bosch or Shimano ones. Nothing beats Brose on torque yet (equivalent for acceleration).

I was told by an ebike dealer in Vancouver that Haibike was pulling out of Canada. Are 2020 models available?

While most companies that produce commuter ebikes are increasing their battery size Giant is going smaller. Makes no sense to me.

I was told by an ebike dealer in Vancouver that Haibike was pulling out of Canada. Are 2020 models available?

While most companies that produce commuter ebikes are increasing their battery size Giant is going smaller. Makes no sense to me.

Ah, that's a shame if they leave. I thought they had great models. Even if too expensive, I might have fallen for them in the end! hehe

Indeed, can't understand why they reduced battery size. At least, there's the range extender. Not an ideal solution but the whole package (bike + range) is still cheaper than Specialized, Trek, Bulls and Haibike.

I can't find any 2020 models in canadian online shop.
BH use both Yamaha and Brose motors in their bikes and they also have their own branded motors (I would not take a risk with the latter). All depends on the model line. Please check more closely. Unluckily BH do not seem to have a speed model (they had Nitro but I cannot see it among current models).

I would say both Yamaha and Brose are equivalent. Yamaha PW-X motors are stronger and I think a little bit noisier than Brose but it is not as bad as in for example older generations of Bosch or Shimano ones. Nothing beats Brose on torque yet (equivalent for acceleration).

I guess that what IM really looking for is reliability. Instinctively, I usually goes with Japan when looking for that! hehe i had a Corolla 1992 for 20 years and I could have still use it, but we had children coming and we wanted some passive security hehe! Anyway, is there any info on reliability? it's maybe too soon for that (and not enough ebikers...)

Ah, that's a shame if they leave. I thought they had great models. Even if too expensive, I might have fallen for them in the end! hehe
Interestingly, Haibike offers the most reasonably priced big brand e-bikes available in Poland. Not cheap as for local income but low-end models fall well below the magical border of PLN 10 K ($2600) and you can have some for $2300.

P.S. Japan? Why not a last generation Shimano 😊 OK, OK, Yamahas are reliable. Interestingly, some Yamaha equipped e-bikes have two chainrings, which is very rare for mid-motor e-bike.

Last edited:
Hello!

I'm beginning to shop for an ebike and the 2020 Fastroad E+ EX PRO is really tempting. I'm stating this thread to gather impressions from owners!

So, anything about ride handling, range, power, what you like/dislike, etc..

Any info is appreciated and will certainly serve other forum members.

Cheers!

Link to Canadian version https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/fastroad-eplus-ex-pro-2020
In fall I found a little bit of information about the new 2020 models and at first glance the Fastroad E+ EX Pro seemed to be what I wanted. But I was turned off by the small battery, lack of front suspension and smaller wheels (smaller than on the Explore E+). And comparing components, I also felt that the 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS had better quality components than the Fastroad. I decided to try finding a 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS with small frame size instead of waiting for the 2020's. I got the very last one in all of Canada, from a dealer in Edmonton and had it shipped to me (like you, I'm in Montreal). And I don't regret it in the least. And I put almost 1000 km on it before the snow and end of my commuting season. (I was commuting 32+km each way from the West Island to work in town.)

I'm installing a BikeSpeed RS into it as soon as I can figure out how to tuck all the wires back in place without pinching. That will get me beyond the 32kph speed limit when I need it.

Good luck with your search for the perfect bike.

In fall I found a little bit of information about the new 2020 models and at first glance the Fastroad E+ EX Pro seemed to be what I wanted. But I was turned off by the small battery, lack of front suspension and smaller wheels (smaller than on the Explore E+). And comparing components, I also felt that the 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS had better quality components than the Fastroad. I decided to try finding a 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS with small frame size instead of waiting for the 2020's. I got the very last one in all of Canada, from a dealer in Edmonton and had it shipped to me (like you, I'm in Montreal). And I don't regret it in the least. And I put almost 1000 km on it before the snow and end of my commuting season. (I was commuting 32+km each way from the West Island to work in town.)

I'm installing a BikeSpeed RS into it as soon as I can figure out how to tuck all the wires back in place without pinching. That will get me beyond the 32kph speed limit when I need it.

Good luck with your search for the perfect bike.

Let me know how it goes with the BikeSpeed RS!

Pretty sure 2019 models won't be available next summer though! I might get a glimpse of 2021 models though and will have perhaps more choice.

I also would like front suspension but there's no perfect model yet! :/

Interestingly, Haibike offers the most reasonably priced big brand e-bikes available in Poland. Not cheap as for local income but low-end models fall well below the magical border of PLN 10 K ($2600) and you can have some for $2300.

P.S. Japan? Why not a last generation Shimano 😊 OK, OK, Yamahas are reliable. Interestingly, some Yamaha equipped e-bikes have two chainrings, which is very rare for mid-motor e-bike.

I guess we pay indirect duty taxes on Haibike prices...!

Looking at Bulls ebike, they are really interesting. They cover a lot of my check boxes...

Shimano? I wouldn't mind, they seem efficient and reliable, but there's not a lot of choices here for Shimano motor equipped ebike.

I also would like front suspension but there's no perfect model yet! :/
It's a pity you cannot fly over the Atlantic ocean and check my Vado 5 with rigid fork/50 mm tyres against a bike with a typical cheap Suntour shock absorber. You would fall in love with my Vado 😊 I ride the same roads on both and wherever it gets bumpy or potholes are present, the Vado wins.

Unless mountain biking, I generally don't want suspension on my bike. I didn't want it on my Juiced CCS, but it came with it. Having said that, there have been a few times I've appreciated it. But I'd rather have a lighter bike.

Didn't know Haibike was leaving Canada. Too bad.

Last edited:
You guys seen or heard about this bike turning off repeatedly mid ride? Is it fixed in the 2021 model?

See

Geez, I would hope they'd fix an issue like that. I sold my Juiced CCS and would look at this for a replacement if I got another electric commuter.

Geez, I would hope they'd fix an issue like that. I sold my Juiced CCS and would look at this for a replacement if I got another electric commuter.
Ha I also had a CCS (though I sold it due to moving, and didn't need an ebike, and I would like one again). The Giant model is my favorite among the big four class 3 flagships, based on the geometry. I love the look of the Cannondale Canvas 1 but the wheels are big, the headtube is slack and the wheelbase long. Ride1Up Prodigy looks interesting but I'm starting to get skittish about their long term reliability.

The Giant is actually both more motorized and more forward in geometry than the Turbo Vado SL. When the 2022 models come in stores I'll probably test ride all the big names, if I haven't already ordered the Prodigy or the Zen Shakti.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210219-171115_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20210219-171115_Brave.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 346
My fastroad ex pro 2020 system has just started to switch off during my commute as soon as I hit a bump, the Giant store said to remove and check,wipe the connections which I did. The problem still occurred so I dropped it into the store. I got a call today saying the fix is a software update but it can’t be applied to the smaller capacity battery on the 2020 model ☹️ bad news I thought until he said Giant will be upgrading the battery to the new 500w battery which has the latest software to fix the issue and under warranty👏👏👏

Wow! I'd like to see that in writing somewhere. That's going to cost them a fortune. I have a 2020 Fastroad E+ 2 Pro that I would happily pay a reasonable amount to get upgraded to an EnergyPak 500 battery (but don't tell Giant that!) I will watch this space.

Not sure about writing but they submitted the warranty claim saying it will take a week to get the 500 battery in to stock and the reason is their is a software upgrade to a known sensitivity issue which is why it switches off.

had the bike a year and the battery is on a two year warranty for failures 🤞👍👍

The cost of servicing the warranty is ultimately paid by Yamaha, no? Yamaha motor, Yamaha battery. (Giant may have taken on the risk but it would be silly to given that they didn't build it.)

Back