Explorer +2

flugelboneman

Region
Canada
City
Comox Valley British Columbia Canada
When shifting into higher gear, am finding the bike a bit balky. There is a delay before the shift occurs. Also, putting pressure on crank sometimes it "skips" a tooth. Have had it in to techs who gave it a once over adjusting here and there. Just finished a 33 Km ride and it is still doing both. Hmmmmmm?

When shifting into higher gear, am finding the bike a bit balky. There is a delay before the shift occurs. Also, putting pressure on crank sometimes it "skips" a tooth. Have had it in to techs who gave it a once over adjusting here and there. Just finished a 33 Km ride and it is still doing both. Hmmmmmm?
You generally don’t want to put a lot of pressure on the chain while performing a shift. Keep pedaling, but don’t apply too much pressure until you feel the chain finish the shift. I like to think of it like shifting in a manual transmission car. The transmission doesn’t stop moving, but it cuts the power of the engine between shifts. There are also torque sensors in the motor that are used to know when to apply more power output. I’ve noticed that if it’s in too high a gear, it will affect motor output. Make sure you’re in a low gear if starting from stop.

I guess I didnt describe my actions very well. It does not jump a tooth when I am shifting. I does it when I put an amount of pressure on the crank after shifting. It does not happen every time, just occasionally. Its only slightly annoying, and a small flaw in an otherwise perfect two wheeled marvel.

Mine started doing pretty much exactly what you're describing, with both a delay in the shift and also a skip every once in a while shortly after the shift. I think the skip was being caused by the derailleur being slightly out of adjustment and the chain almost inbetween gears. I adjusted the rear derailleur and was able to get the shift back to instantaneous smooth operating. Maybe take it back to your lbs so they can take a look at the derailleur adjustment again.

Thx sr. Sounds like good advice. I was a bit disappointed after having techs adjust deraileur with little improvement

I can make a new chain skip on a new cassette if I stand up and hammer on the 11T cog on a hill. An ebike is putting a equivalent amount of torque on those wee cogs...
Two good reasons for spinning a higher cadence - chain wrap is greater on bigger cassette cogs (less chance of skipping), and the motor appreciates the lower gearing so you'll get better much performance on a hill.

There are two primary adjustments for the derailleur for smooth shifts - just went through this with mine, a brand new explore+3.

1. There is a screw adjust for how close the top tensioner roller sits from the cassette gear/ring(s) - it should be as close as possible on all gears but not touching. So take a look, mine was sitting way low and wouldn't up-shift worth a darn. Clunky, mis-shifting, changing gears when pedaling, beyond annoying.

2. Next, peer down vertically over your chain as it aligns to any gear at the bottom of the ring as the chain enters with the derailleur - it should line up exactly with the chain ring. If it's one way or the other, left or right, adjust the cable length (I think it's deraileur end on the Diore) so that it aligns perfectly. Some shifters have a cable adjust ferule as well for fine tuning.

You should get perfect shifting now.
And yes, the yammer drive does not have a gearshift cut off so you need to back off on the pedal pressure to shift, then resume.

Yep, yep and yep. I will trust my tech to do these delicate adjustments. Then I can blame him. They are pretty sticky at the shop about these things. First question: Did you mess with the derailleur? No suh, ah did no sech thang. The guys at the shop view themselves as high tech rocket scientists. Fooling with their adustments is akin to heresy. But I thank you Browneye anyway for the feedback. At the very least it is instructive for me. As far as shifting, have been 40 years perfecting my technique, and feel I have a fairly good touch in this are.

I meant no disrespect. Some people have the insight and talent to do their own tweaking. Sadly, I am not one of those gifted souls.

How many miles on the chain? Is it perhaps time for a new chain? When that starts happening (at about 3- 4000 km) I replace mine and everything is groovy again.

Good point steve. I got 1500 kms on current chain. Never had a guideline to replace. Will have shop evaluate at 3000

Back