Explore E+ 2018 vs 2019

Update to new Explorer E+ 4.
No joy: While Shipping to the bike shop was efficient the shop won't have it available until Monday. Seems they are currently experiencing a surge in business. Many Bike Shops in Maine keep relaxed business hrs.

Update to new Explorer E+ 4.
No joy: While Shipping to the bike shop was efficient the shop won't have it available until Monday. Seems they are currently experiencing a surge in business. Many Bike Shops in Maine keep relaxed business hrs.

Oh no!!!!! It's going to be a LONG weekend for you! :) That's like me last week while waiting for my new bike to arrive. I had been hoping I'd have it for the weekend, but it only arrived in Montreal on Monday, then the carrier "lost" it, and didn't deliver until Wednesday with a terribly damaged box. The bike luckily was intact, other than for a bad scratch on the fork and a label partly scratched off. At least your bike is in the hands of the dealer so all that's needed now is some patience. (Which *I* surely had lacking last weekend!)

E+ 1 looks awesome but I was surprised to see even even the E+ 0 doesn't include the SyncDrive Pro motor. Is there any info on which frames each model uses? Many of the Giant e-bike frames look very similar to me. Is it primarily the drive components the set models apart from each other with universal frame 1,2 and 3?

E+ 1 looks awesome but I was surprised to see even even the E+ 0 doesn't include the SyncDrive Pro motor. Is there any info on which frames each model uses? Many of the Giant e-bike frames look very similar to me. Is it primarily the drive components the set models apart from each other with universal frame 1,2 and 3?

Frames are different on different models, but *probably* the same within a series... i.e. I'm thinking that all the Explore E+ frames are the same and the only differences between the 0,1,2,3,4 would be components like derailleurs, cassettes, brakes, computer, rack, lights, etc. Did you check out the Explore E+ 0 that's available in other parts of the world? I would have loved to get that one, but Giant in their "wisdom" decided it's not for North America.

Actually I was looking for a trekking version of my partner's LaFree +E1. I love the Hub gears and Gates belt drive on that bike but I didn't budget for a custom build. This is my first experience with e-Bike and the choices are a little overwhelming. Explore E+ 4 Update: Just returned from New England Auto Auction (Maine's version of Mechan). I had a email from the shop that my bike is ready for pick-up. Unfortunately the shop isn't open on Sundays.

I did see the Explore E+ 0 . Very nice but for that kind of money I would expect the Pro drive. Does Giant update every model bike every year like the auto industry?

Perhaps one of the technical members can verify something about the Giant’s 2020 SyncDrive Sport motors. My research of the newest Syncdrive reveals differences between 2019 vs 2020 that may be more significant than I first realized..The big ticket item was updating the motor from four motion sensors to six. Giant calls this PedalPlus technology and the result is having an improved automatic Smart Assist mode. (Was this not available before??)

“The motor now also features six sensors (four before), enabling the Smart Assist technology that calculates the amount of torque, pedaling cadence, slope and speed while riding. Based on those calculations, it determines the amount of power needed to provide a smooth, natural riding experience. The motor engages instantly when power is applied to the pedals.

Next to the five levels of support modes, this new selectable Smart Assist mode automatically regulates the power according to the need and helps to improve battery range. Basically, the idea is to give you the option to run that mode all day long, without having to give mode-selection a second thought. To activate the Smart Assist mode, you have to cycle into the opposite direction of the regular modes via the thumb buttons on the RideControl unit, past the off mode.

A higher cadence support now reaches all the way up to 170 rpm, meaning that it tapers off much later than the old version, which lost power around 80 to 90 rpm. With full power up to 130 rpm, the mechanical range is now much bigger for full support. Also, the motor noise could be reduced considerably. Official numbers are communicated at a reduction of roughly 15%, although it’s hard to put into percentage numbers and it can easily be argued that it comes down to much more than that.”

Additionally the ability to increase assist levels to 350% (nice) looks to be a bonus on top of the increased cadence support. (Not really applicable to me..)

Oddly to looks like Yamaha’s in house PowerDrive series remains at four sensors for 2020.

It looks to me like Six sensors and Auto Smart Assist are new features that were introduced in some of the late 2019 models. Max Assist Level is 350% in 2019 models.

For serious bike riders, the cadence up to 170 rpm could be a market differentiator. I haven't seen official specs, but my hunch is that this is for the Pro model only.

Another big difference with the 2020's is the 6A fast charger, which according to Giant can charge the battery to 80% in an hour.

Back