Explore+3 +4 GTS And Sister Amiti - Review • Comments • Q&A

I purchased the STA frame and am really thankful I did. It has saved me from a number of stupid dumps and at my age any ground contact is bad. Get over the teenage stimaga, you know it’s a better choice.
Thanks, no concern about appearance. I presently ride a RANS crank forward so gave up worrying about image a long time ago. My bigger concern was strength of frame and whether the frame was designed more for a female anatomy. The two replies that came back, yours included, put those concerns to rest.

I don't notice flex but I'm running Big Apple tires with no lock-out from the standard mediocre fork suspension on a Explore E+ 4. (So I'm forgiving front steering to be a little lazy.) I'm swapping the front fork with a 29" Air/Coil MTB fork with 80-100 mm travel. Strangely ,I'll really going to appreciate locking out the fork suspension for most of my riding. Thought about a solid fork but I still want the flexibility of a decent gravel road suspension. Who knows probably overthinking the whole thing because riding weather is still weeks away and am self quarantined for a couple weeks anyways.

I can tell you the Giant bikes are less wobbly than the old Specialized Roll.
Going to try to get out on the mtb tomorrow. We walked my regular loop today, ran 'tiny trucks', about 4 miles. And our favorite tap room opened for a few regulars. It felt like a speakeasy. Knock on the back door, front windows are papered out. It's really weird here, but a bazillion people out on the trail. As busy as I've ever seen it. Lots of cute dogs too.

These are 1/10th scale lipo electrics, yes they ran for over 3 hours today and 4 miles.

Last edited:
While we have a couple of threads going on this model, they were for specific problems/questions, so I thought I would start a new one, talk about my 2019 +3, and invite comments discussion and questions on both the +3 and +4 US models, for owners and would-be owners.

I've put a couple of hundred miles on so far and really like the bike. There are way many more things that I like than things I don't. So I'll post a few points, a pic or two, and open this for posts/discussion.

I'm 62, 5-10, 180lbs
Avid rider, although never as much pedaling as I liked, spent much more time on motorcycles. Now the latter are all sold due to age and risk, so getting wife and me ebikes opened up a whole new entertainment opportunity for us. We're having a ball!

Comfortable - I changed out the stem riser to a 45* - 110mm reach. Substantially improves the stance for me.
Good power assist - I mostly ride at level 3, sometimes 4, and occasionally 5 if I'm tired, a steep hill, or just being lazy. At level 3 I'm getting somewhere around 45-50 miles of range.
Seat/Saddle - is more comfortable than I thought it would be. Not changing it yet. The 2020 model has a different saddle.
Ease of riding - at least as easy as my pedal bikes. I really like a 700c/28-29" wheel bike, so this was a natural.
Brakes - the 19 model has Shimano hydraulic discs - the 2020 went to Tektro hydraulic. The Shimanos are flawless.
Color - for 2020 Giant went the a satin black with blue accents. I got one of the last '19's and really liked the bronze-gray color with hyper-green accents.
Giant Ride Control App - this is a way cool feature that connects your smartphone to your sync-drive power control for all ride data, speed, odo, battery level, assist fine tuning, and GPS mapping. It's a little balky setting up but once you get it dialed it's really slick. I use mine on a iPhone 6Plus with a ROAM mount.
Battery integration and design - all good. I think they did a good job on this, and I like the swing-out removal feature.

Dislikes
The fork is really minimal for a suspension. Here again, the 'updated' 2020 model doesn't have a lockout, the '19 does. But you can dial the preload in enough to make the '20 one really firm. IMO this isn't as much of an issue on a ebike since the pedal power loss from suspension is made up for with the e-assist. It's really nice to have something up front though, for rough roads, driveway ramps, expansion cracks, uneven pavement. I don't know how much offroad mine will see...probly not much. LOL
Shifting - I finally had to do a tuneup or adjust on the derailleur - it wouldn't shift up to higher gears, then would clunk into another gear or two when ramping up pedal pressure with the assist. There is no motor shut-off for shifting with the Yamaha mid-drive, so you have to let up or it clunks pretty bad on shifting. Once I got my derailleur adjusted shifting became effortless.
Tires - I wasn't impressed with the relatively skinny 'crosscut gravel' tires that come with the bike. Same for 2020. Right away I changed them out for Schwalbe Marathon 47-622's, pretty much the same size as the stock tires. They were fine, if not a little hard unless I aired down to about 35lbs. So I decided to get Schwalbe Big Apple tires in 60mm, or 2.3 inches wide. They're beautiful. Interesting that the rear rim is 25mm wide with eyeleted spoke nipples, the front is 19 with no eyelets. They really beefed up the rear wheel for 'E' power.
There is no charge port for your phone.
There are no lights, not even front or rear reflectors. I'm researching my options here, but rarely ride at night anyway - I can see well after dark anyway.

Later I'll post more pics, and a list of accessories and changes/upgrades I've done on mine.

So without further ado...here's a pic of mine with the new tires, and now I want to open this up for more discussion, question, and comments.

The bigger tires just fit:

Just got it here, has the Marathon 47-622's:

Just a quick note. I have a Giant Explorer, step through, and my Dealer showed me a Liv which I bought for my wife at the same time I bought mine. Made by Giant and almost identical but with some good upgrades like lights and a larger front disc. If you're looking at Giant, look at Liv.

On the taillight issue, I've been using a Garmin Edge GPS device to track and record my rides for quite a number of years and will probably continue to use it when I get an e-bike. This year, I added a Garmin Varia radar taillight and it works great. I get a warning tone and am able to track cars approaching from the rear on the Garmin display; it picks them up before I can even make them out in my mirror. As a car gets close, the taillight gets brighter and flashes at an accelerated rate. Nice product!
I lost a friend last year to a driver who was texting. He was a seasoned road cyclist. Bought the Garmin Varia soon after this. It saved my life a couple days ago. To me, for $200, it is a must have not an accessory. 👍🏻

Sibling rivalry...
I took the bike back to the shop to have them re-route cables.
.... thanks Chris for the 'hookup'....
IMG_0579.JPG

Awesome!
I had fogotten that we got a LIV Amiti as well since then. She really likes it. 👍
and my better half chose the Liv Amiti over the Como today- no we both couldn't have specialized products, but we are opposite on most things and that seems to work for the past 40 years, the "virus" is good for some - our bike shops are practically sold out in our neck of the woods . . .

Attachments

• 20200429_151420.jpg
    20200429_151420.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 400
and my better half chose the Liv Amiti over the Como today- no we both couldn't have specialized products, but we are opposite on most things and that seems to work for the past 40 years, the "virus" is good for some - our bike shops are practically sold out in our neck of the woods . . .
Really interested to know what swayed her to the Amiti. I keep waffling over these 2 and the Vado and a small local Canadian brand. thx!

Really interested to know what swayed her to the Amiti. I keep waffling over these 2 and the Vado and a small local Canadian brand. thx!
you sure can't go wrong with either choice, for Charl, as soon as she did a few laps around the store neighborhood she just felt the Amiti was the bike for her, other than she liked the seat better on the Como which we solved quickly with a good suggestion from the bike rep - compared to our hub driven rentals the previous 3 years on vacation the mid-drive is like night and day with ease of climbing hills, como and vado would be equally great, of course color and how they had the Amiti decked out with extras like lights, rack, bell, display and so forth worked for her, and it is working out, I'm amazed at how she is energized riding that bike and how the bike handles moving from pavement, packed trails and even gravel with ease, you just have to try them out and see what feels right for a fit and the type of terrain you will be riding - good luck - whatever you choose will have you smiling on the trails

Ours are stock. So far so good.
If it's really a mis-match then your sit bones won't toughen up with a few rides, will still be uncomfortable. There are plenty of good options out there, but probly best to visit a few dealers and check them out. They might even let you try a couple.

I got a WTB Rocket for my eMTB. Fantastic. We were in another shop over the weekend and saw a couple of gel pad types, but don't recall the brand.
There are a number of 'top ten' reviews online, might be worth some browsing.

The bike lock I linked above - OnGuard ULock.

Ours are stock. So far so good.
If it's really a mis-match then your sit bones won't toughen up with a few rides, will still be uncomfortable. There are plenty of good options out there, but probly best to visit a few dealers and check them out. They might even let you try a couple.

I got a WTB Rocket for my eMTB. Fantastic. We were in another shop over the weekend and saw a couple of gel pad types, but don't recall the brand.
There are a number of 'top ten' reviews online, might be worth some browsing.

The bike lock I linked above - OnGuard ULock.
Thank you I appreciate the wealth of info and advice that all give here!

I currently ride a Copenhagen Wheel which I love, but could use additional range, beyond the 40-ish miles I get now.
In looking at the LBS which has a 2020 Giant Explore E+ in stock, I’m wondering if there is an option to replace (or buy in addition) a 500 watt battery to use instead of the standard 400 watt. I thought I saw that option on some of the Trek e-bikes.

The 500w pack is for other models - the swing out pack on the explore is 400w. Gives about 40 miles of range, give or take.
The bigger pack gives about the same range, maybe a bit less, on the Pwx eMTB.

Back