Explore+3 +4 GTS And Sister Amiti - Review • Comments • Q&A

Thanks for sharing your Schwalbe tire tales Browneye . I checked my Explore E+ (2020) and noticed my front rim size is 622X19 but my back rim is 622X21 and not 25mm like your model. I ordered Big Apple 622X55s. My decision and hopefully I can custom fit the fenders,
the weather is so nice today in Toronto, so i took my 19 Explore E 3 out for a spin. Everything is stock, except I added the model-specific rear rack to my bike.

I really like that rear rack new-ebiker purchased in Toronto. I tried to order that specific model but it's not available in the US. Giant's marketing strategy seems rather odd to me at times. I did install the Metro E bike rear rack from Giant and an Givi quick mounting plate from my motorcycle. Now it takes me only a second to attach or remove Givi tank luggage when I need the capacity.

Attachments

• IMG_20191214_112624.jpg
    IMG_20191214_112624.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_20191214_112528.jpg
    IMG_20191214_112528.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 576
I really like that rear rack new-ebiker purchased in Toronto. I tried to order that specific model but it's not available in the US. Giant's marketing strategy seems rather odd to me at times. I did install the Metro E bike rear rack from Giant and an Givi quick mounting plate from my motorcycle. Now it takes me only a second to attach or remove Givi tank luggage when I need the capacity.
Good idear using the tank ring, regarding the mud flaps can you say make and model please.

I notice some of your e3 have all cables routed through the left frame hole and the right frame hole is left as-is. I think this is better, less debris go inside the frame.

My dealer routed the cable that connect to the ride one control module via the right hole.

Everybody is different but if it's exclusively pavement that you ride then the stock fork shocks on the Explore E+ are probably acceptable. Unless you are 185+ lbs like me. I bet many members would be interested in following a fork upgrade on the Explore E+. I would.

Good idear using the tank ring, regarding the mud flaps can you say make and model please.
The "Mud Flaps" came attached to the fenders that I ordered from Giant. I order from Giant's US website and selected Giant Explore E+/Amiti-E+ Fender Set Black . Since the pair of fenders were under fifty bucks I ordered them and was surprised that they didn't look quite like I expected. They are full wheel fenders (5/8) with attach mud flaps. It's kind of a retro old-English look but they perform awesome in any wet stuff.

I’ll have to look again, my rear rim may well be 21 or 23. I’ll post back. Sometimes my memory fails me, but 25 is what the neural trace is.🤣

My cables are all on the left, just a plug on the right. Thought it was a bit odd.

EDIT: Yep, 622x21 on the rear. Normally those things don't get changed much year to year, unless it's a new model. I must have just been wishing! LOL

Last edited:
Everybody is different but if it's exclusively pavement that you ride then the stock fork shocks on the Explore E+ are probably acceptable. Unless you are 185+ lbs like me. I bet many members would be interested in following a fork upgrade on the Explore E+. I would.

I'm 180 lbs.
Maybe all that is needed is to replace current coil with a heavier one .
I read that for pavement coil is better than air . I have no idea .
I would also like a lighter fork .
Maybe lockout as well .
As I mentioned earlier , an upgrade a notch up .

i'm right about 180 as well. The forks are just not that compliant, but then I don't want them bottoming out all the time either.
I find the stock ones are annoying the way they top out. There isn't enough cushion there so the tube slaps the top stop and clanks. Like from pavement drop offs and such. It doesn't hurt anything, just makes noise. A better fork shouldn't do that.

Browneye, how's the ride with your Big Apple's? Must be a lot smoother than the Marathon Plus!

Haven't ridden in a month, finally got out for a couple of rides this weekend. Bike sitting in the garage (avg temp around 60 f) drained about 3% of it's charge over the month.

For some fun, here's a few fact or fiction, based on statements I have seen on EBR.

• Mid-drives have a lot of resistance - For my Giant Explore I would have to say this is false. I spend a lot of time on my rides running without any PAS, and don't really feel any resistance.
  • There's more power output when the battery is at 100% than at 10% - I'd say false because I haven't noticed any real power drop when the battery starts getting low, but I do start getting range anxiety...
  • The 400w battery is too small and makes the bike obsolete - For me that's false. When I first got my bike my average range was around 40-50 miles because I was out of shape and using PAS 3/4. Now I'm usually at PAS 2/3 or turning off PAS completely and over the last 6 months range has been over 65. I'm also not pushing 20mph very often when I'm running PAS. If someone wanted to run PAS at levels 4/5 and max out to 20mph, 500w battery might be better.
  • The RideControl One sucks - Kinda true? All of the details that an LED control display could be useful/interesting, but I have gotten used to the simplicity of knowing only the PAS level and power remaining.
  • No integrated lights - Kinda true? It's a pain to ride your bike on an errand and have to take off the headlight and taillight when you lock up the bike. On a positive side, I know I have lights that are a lot more noticeable than most integrated lights in this price range.
  • The RideControl App sucks - For me this is false, but I can understand why it would for some people. I originally was using it with my iphone to get the instantaneous readouts like speed, cadence, range, etc... And, the ride tracker worked good most of the time. But, I got tired of all that, and now just use my Fitbit to Strava integration to track my rides. One feature I really like is the ability to adjust the PAS levels. PAS One just doesn't seen to have enough power to really help out, but PAS 2 was a little too strong. I ended up reducing PAS 2 and PAS 3 power and now never feel like I'm inbetween levels.
  • Explore E+ is great as a cruiser - Stock I would say false, without any mods it's a hybrid. But, if you put new handlebars, a suspension seat post and some fatter tires, it just might come close!
  • Class 1 is too slow - Usually false but every once in a while I'd like to go just a little faster. I'm sure Giant could have easily just branded this a Class 3 because the motor is the same as the Quick E+, but that would have cut them out of a lot of the US market.
  • Outside the US, Explore E+ has a lot better options/configurations - That is so true! I probably would have bought the same configuration, but it seems odd that they only offer the bare-bones version in the U.S.
  • The 2019 Explore E+3 is much better looking than the 2020 Explore E+4. True, only because I have the 2019. If I had the 2020, I'd like it better!

I found this alarming blurb on the Big Apple Tire web page concerning use of balloon tires and suspension forks.

• Steering geometry:
    It is important that the frame has not been constructed for the use of a suspension fork. In this case the fork is much shorter and conversion will make steering imprecise and potentially dangerous.

Any comments?

Naw, it handles fine. Really liking the Big Apples - the ride is very good and precision is also very good. Can't find anything I don't like. Got another big tube for a spare - the 60mm tube is definitely bigger.

@Slow Rider - agree absolutely, with all of that. Right on target.

I use the ride-on app every ride - just love it. Better than having a bike-mounted display. The app integrates extremely well.

I would install a bike computer if I did the de-restrict. I may well go to that, but wifey doesn't like to ride that fast. The 19-20 for her is just fine. If I was riding by myself I would definitely de-restrict it - the thing goes like hell. LOL

We did about 20 miles for a craft beer today. Got to sit on a new Trance E mtb, awesome. I would love to ride trails, but not sure when I would manage to get out to do that.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Upgraded to the 2.15's of the Schwalbe Marathon Almotion run tubeless , from the 2.0 .
Other than not being able to run fenders now (afaik) , initial impression is that it's a big improvement in ride and handling .
Not sure though if they will affect mileage range or anything else Yamaha drive/battery related .

I think that Browneye has spurred an interest in Explore EB+ (Electric/Balloon) adventure. Right now I feel caged because early Maine winter but will soon be in a bikeable climate. My Big Apple tires & tube are shipped and I'm excited to see if this results in a better ride rather than a expensive suspension fork upgrade.

For something similar but ebike puncture rating, look at Big Ben too. I think they’re 55mm/2”

going tubeless is a big improvement .
I upgraded the stock tires to Almotion 2.0 running tubed , then went tubeless .
then upgraded to Almotion 2.15 tubeless .

Last edited:
going tubeless is a big improvement .
I upgraded the stock tires to Almotion 2.0 running tubed , then went tubeless .
then upgraded to Almotion 2.15 tubeless .

Describe what 'improvement' means to you.
If they are all tubeless why are the manufacturers putting tubes in the tires??

The weight is reduced .
The puncture protection is increased .
Rolling Resistance is reduced .
Comfort , Grip , and Stability are increased .

Back