Explore+3 +4 GTS And Sister Amiti - Review • Comments • Q&A

I don't drive that much in a year. :) I have some really nice bike trails here in Tulsa which just adds to the enjoyment.

Do any other e-bike riders just Strava? I use Garmin to log rides, then load to Strava. I have a nephew and niece that run and use it.

Have a great day. :)

I use both my Garmin watch and the Strava App on my iPhone... both work well and upload to the PC with more complete data and graphics.

Hi Browneye,

I have found your insights and experience most helpful. Thanks.

I have just purchased a 2020 LIV Amite+4 and am very impressed with the quality of the bike. You get a lot for the money. I am a guy who appreciates the step the low step frame, and all the amenities of the Amite. The motor and battery are great, it shifts fine considering it does not have shift detection like the Bosh systems, and has good steady brakes. It also is very responsive. It should come with a kickstand as standard equipment, but maybe that’s just me. The daytime running light integrated into the headtube is very cool.

Contrary to what I have read about it being disappointing, I have found the Giant Ride Control app to be very good. Not only can you fine tune your assistance levels, but you can also to a firmware update all from you IPhone without a trip to the LBS.

Really, the only downside I have found is that it rides rough. I have added my Thudbuster and lowered the tire pressure, but still find it harsh. Stock tires appear to be the problem as you have noted. You mentioned the Schwalbe Marathon Plus on your wife’s bike, and the Big Apples on yours as alternatives. What do you think is the best way to go strictly from a comfort point of view? What is the widest I can go?

Many thanks

I have expanded the title of this thread to include the sister-bike to the Explore, the step thru model and the LIV Amiti.
While we really enjoyed the hub-drive conversion on her Specialized Roll, it quit working about a month ago and so far have not been able to successfully troubleshoot it. I removed all of the parts and shipped them off to the supplier for testing and replacement under warranty.

In the meantime we decided to get her another bike, so I went thru the whole bike-shopping effort again, and finally deciding to stick with Giant since I liked my Explore so well. In between, I also got a new Trance E+2Pro mountain bike and thoroughly enjoying it.

I had forgotten, or did not realize the Explore was available as a step-thru model. Well, not until I was looking at specs online after choosing the LIV Amiti. Turns out it is EXACTLY the same bike as the Explore step thru, just a different color. Same 700c wheels, sync-drive sport motor, 400w pack, Deore shifter, Shimano hydraulic brakes.

LIV is Giant's lady's line of bicycles. They've gone all in to support the women bike riders with product. I really like what they have to offer.

We lucked out that there were a few 2019 models left in size M and L - wifey rides a M, so we were in luck. We got a killer deal, and zero-interest financing thru Synchrony bank, we already had an account from buying my Explore. So it was all very painless. We ordered the bike Sunday, it arrived Friday, we picked it up this weekend.

One nice feature on the LIV version is the integrated headlight on the stem housing, plus an additional LED headlight - you can run either-or, but not both. The on-off switch is on the RideOneControl pad.
It also comes with a bell on the bars, but otherwise is the same bike as my Explore.

As I mentioned elsewhere, there was a chip in the paint on the battery housing so the dealer kicked back some $$, nearly enough to get the Topeak GTX rack and MTX trunk bag. I had not seen this type of bag before, with the fold-out side panniers. It's a very nice design, if not a bit spendy, and easily removable with a shoulder strap included. I had a LED taillamp on hand that installed directly to the rear reflector mount on the rack.

I got the RideControl app downloaded to her iPhone, and gave her my phone mount while I order another one, and set it all up on her bike. It's even better than the little lcd displays that come on other bikes - lots more data, and full gps mapping to boot. The app prompts for a firmware upgrade to the bike - done in about 3 minutes, for the latest version and a walk-feature update. Yes, has a walk-button assist.

I also had the Marathon/Plus tires I got for mine, but decide to go balloon - installed them on hers. At least they're better than the very thin 'gravel' tires they come with.

Seems the bars are still a little low for her, but I want her to get a little more seat time before raising the bars some more, they look high enough for her stance, and she may well get more used to it. I think you can get the bars too high and then it affects your handling.

Overall she really likes it, it's very easy to ride. It does require you to pedal though, so that is different from the Hub-Drive former bike with throttle - she said she gets a little more of a workout.

Our first ride this weekend was 20miles, and I think that's pretty good for her first time out. She used 41% of her battery, I used 55% of mine.

LED day-time running light in front, plus LED headlight, integrated with the ride control pad, Schwalbe Marathon 47-622 tires:

RideControl app on plus-size phone, ROAM phone mount, and a MIRRYCYCLE mirror:

Topeak Trunk bag and rack:

First trip to Walmart Pharmacy for prescription meds. Getting old sucks. LOL

Amiti Ebike

Hi Browneye. A few questions and your opinion if you don’t mind?

How tall is your wife and does the medium Amiti fit her well? Is the fit true to Giant’s sizing table? I have an Amiti on order for my wife in medium on recommendation from my lbs, but my wife is 5’21/2” (the half is important 😉) so I’m worried that the medium will be too big for her because Giant’s table indicates she should fit a small.

The MY2021 Explore’s and Amiti have just shown up on Giant Canada website so now I’m considering changing her order to an Explore E+ 1 Pro step through instead for the higher spec. The Explore step through has slightly different geometry to the Amiti so I was thinking a small Explore should fit her. With your wife’s experience on her Amiti what do you think?

Definitely size small.
And bikes can be customized a bit to fit, but if they're too tall you can't even stand over them.

Wife is 5-6 with longer legs and the M is perfect.

And why they make a XS too. You need the bike sized to your height or it's always a chore in some manner. A bike should be effortless to get on and ride.

The Amiti and Explore are identical bikes - just one is painted to be a ladies model. We've had people here, both genders, on both models. They are great bikes. The yamaha drive is just stellar.

Definitely size small.
And bikes can be customized a bit to fit, but if they're too tall you can't even stand over them.

And why they make a XS too. You need the bike sized to your height or it's always a chore in some manner. A bike should be effortless to get on and ride.

The Amiti and Explore are identical bikes - just one is painted to be a ladies model. We've had people here, both genders, on both models. They are great bikes. The yamaha drive is just stellar.

Thanks Browneye. 👍 My wife has short legs so I was a bit sceptical when the lbs said she is a medium frame. As you say, some customization is possible but if the frame is too big you’re SOL.

Definitely size small.

In Canada were only getting the Amiti e +2, Explore e +2 (GTA & STA) and the Explore e +1 Pro (GTA & STA). Looks like Explore e +4 is no more and Roam e+ has taken its place. Interestingly there is a small difference in geometry between Amiti and Explore that gives the Amiti a slightly more upright stance. Looking at the measurements though there is not much difference.

Not quite the same, as I ended up with a Fathom after shopping for an Explore, but on paper I was a medium. I went with a small instead and am glad I did. 5'7" 30 years ago, but I suspect a little less now. 30" inseam.

I test rode the Explore E+4, and although I liked it, I wanted a better ride quality. There were no E+2s available, and had there been a 2021 pro, I think I may very well have purchased it. As it turns out, I am loving the Fathom E+ Pro, so the only thing in my rear view mirror are my buddies trying to keep up. 😉

A little larger tire on these bikes goes a long ways toward smoothing out the ride - 'balloon tires' is what Schwalb calls them.
I put 2" tires on wifey's bike (50-622), mine had 2.3's, and I really now think the former are the sweet spot without being bulky.
We run about 40psi in them.

EDIT: These bikes have 700c rims - some of the similar casual roading bikes have 650b rims, and there the 2.3" or 60mm tires are the ticket. Think Schwalbe MOTOX.

IMG_3303.jpg

Last edited:
A little larger tire on these bikes goes a long ways toward smoothing out the ride - 'balloon tires' is what Schwalb calls them.
I put 2" tires on wifey's bike (50-622), mine had 2.3's, and I really now think the former are the sweet spot without being bulky.
We run about 40psi in them.

IMG_3303.jpg

I agree.

After a bit of experimentation, I now run 2" wide Big Bens on my road bikes for the best balance of comfort/performance.

Hi Friends, First entry on this forum, which I've read every entry on. I've been looking at ebikes for a while and the Explore series seems to be just about right for me in so many ways. Now I've found a 2020 step through E+ 4, which is the one I want, not too far away. But one remaining issue is the 400wh battery. I live on a steep hill in the heart of very hilly NH's White Mountains. I spent some time playing with Google Earth last night, creating 40 mile rides from home. Forty miles isn't enough to make some of the most beautiful and interesting loops. I don't have anyone to come and get me if I run out of power except in a real emergency. So my question: Is 400wh enough or do I need to find a bike with 500 or more? Thanks.

PS: I'm 72 and an active regular bike rider but sore feet and knees are telling me to find an easier way of getting up the hills.

Some members will mention that the 400wh battery will not be big enough but if you seriously travel 40 miles roundtrips that's not correct. I have a Explore e+4 and I have no problems getting 55+ miles (rural Maine) but that depends a lot on terrain and which power mode you use. In Eco mode on level terrain getting 60+ miles is a snap but at higher power levels that's pushing it. For me I find 400wh a perfect size but everybody wants more range, but that's more $$$.

It will do it, but you'll have to use a lower assist level and pedal more. So on your out-leg you use no assist where you can, less speed climbing hills, and you'll be fine.
My Trance has the 500w, the range isn't any greater.
If you really want extended range then source a second pack and carry it in a saddle bag. $$$ Or get the model that has the piggy-back pack option. Also $$$.
40 miles is quite a long bike ride. My inclination wd be to transport it half way and ride from there - we do this a lot.
Same for speed - 30mph on a bicycle feels SCARY fast. And my history has lots of 100+ motorbikes. LOL

Last edited:
Lucky you have an excellent lbs that sells/services Giant eBikes. Anything on the Giant website you can order from that lbs. They may even offer a better deal.

Thanks. I'm in Gorham, about 10 minutes from Maine.
Dude you live 15 miles from the top of Mt. Washington. Just got back from Sedona, AZ and hiked trails throughout the area. It was amazing to be top of Soldiers Pass and hear the crunching of a string of Mt. Bike riders coming down trails that's nearly a vertical wall. You know the type. Bunch of 20 something years old's with movie star muscled tone and looks. And the male riders are even more impressive! Made my 70 year old heart sigh.

It will do it, but you'll have to use a lower assist level and pedal more. So on your out-leg you use no assist where you can, less speed climbing hills, and you'll be fine.
My Trance has the 500w, the range isn't any greater.
If you really want extended range then source a second pack and carry it in a saddle bag. $$$ Or get the model that has the piggy-bag pack option. Also $$$.
40 miles is quite a long bike ride. My inclination wd be to transport it half way and ride from there - we do this a lot.
Same for speed - 30mph on a bicycle feels SCARY fast. And my history has lots of 100+ motorbikes. LOL

400Wh in that terrain may well prove insufficient. My 500Wh Explore gives me about 80-100km range on moderately hilly paths with power on Normal, but nothing like the White Mountains!

Can you get a loaner from your LBS to test the route? I think that's the only way you'll know for sure. And is budget the limiting factor stopping you from looking at other options (ie. higher spec models or dual battery offerings from other brands)?

I love my Explore - sitting on 2.2k completely trouble free kilometres since purchase - but I think this route would test the range, particularly of the 400Wh models.

Back