Experience Thread: A noobie getting into a specialized vado 5.0 IGH

Have you run the calibration mode yet ? Pardon me if I missed it if you have
I have. So has the LBS before delivering the bike. I did it twice. Last one was on a long flat straight section I was on.

Last one was on a long flat straight section I was on.
I'm ignorant in the IGH. However, why didn't you calibrate the Enviolo uphill? Perhaps the system thought you would be only riding on the flat?

You should try the calibration on a bike stand, or holding up the rear wheel. I watched the enviolo video on how to calibrate, and they said that ideally it should be done on a bike stand (not riding it).

You should try the calibration on a bike stand, or holding up the rear wheel. I watched the enviolo video on how to calibrate, and they said that ideally it should be done on a bike stand (not riding it).
Not an option for me. I mean, I could try and hold it up while spinning the pedals with my hands. But the resistance gets pretty intense.

I will let the LBS deal with it.

My wife is eyeing the turbo como 4.0 IGH. No automatic, just twist shift. I love the convenience of automatic. Not thinking about shifting just lets me get out there and ride. I am almost ready to talk her into a chain model.

Well, currently, mine won't go into the lowest gear in any situation according to the gear ratio display on the mastermind (pedaling up hill at a low rpm like 40-50 with assistance low or off, still never goes to lowest gear). Whenever I coast, the automatiq shifts down (like you are stopping) but, I didn't stop just coasted, if I just start pedaling at 80 rpm and the gear hub makes this grinding noise as it goes back to the gear it was in ( I am assuming this grinding is not good). This is more prevalent when coasting at a higher speed and the gear ratio changes are more extreme. Finally, the ride can be a bit jerky uphill if your cadence transitions are not smooth. Basically, more significant changes in power/cadence when riding uphill cause the bike to "super react" and shift down quickly. Example: letting off power because I might stop due to a car not acknowledging my presence, but quickly go back to power when they do. This can be split seconds, but the bike throws itself into a lower gear (but not the lowest one) and then the RPM jumps briefly as it figures it out and returns the bike to the "right" gear for your power/cadence. None of this happens if your cadence transitions are smoother.

I don't know what aspects of that are "normal" and what is potentially problematic. I am leaning toward this being a first year product, and it's not quite right yet. All of the above is likely fixable via firmware updates
I'm not sure about your lowest gear issue but the default is to go to the lowest gear when coasting. I was told by my LBS owner while we were on the test ride and he said after coasting, roll back into pedaling to allow it get back to the proper gear. You can change that setting to have it stay in the same gear when you start pedaling again from what he told me.

I'm not sure about your lowest gear issue but the default is to go to the lowest gear when coasting. I was told by my LBS owner while we were on the test ride and he said after coasting, roll back into pedaling to allow it get back to the proper gear. You can change that setting to have it stay in the same gear when you start pedaling again from what he told me.
Possibly in the enviolo app? Cause it’s not in the specialized app.

Yes I believe it is. I have not downloaded that yet so not 100% sure
The enviolo app may explain why it never goes into lowest gear. It has a slider for “starting gear” or something like that. I would think conditions should allow the bike to go lower.

But, also, there is a failed calibration in the logs. So will try again with the enviolo app. There aren’t a lot of settings in there.

The enviolo app may explain why it never goes into lowest gear. It has a slider for “starting gear” or something like that. I would think conditions should allow the bike to go lower.

But, also, there is a failed calibration in the logs. So will try again with the enviolo app. There aren’t a lot of settings in there.
Sorry you ae having issues. I am very happy with my bike and I think I have found my happy place with it. The Respiro Athletic seat is awesome along with the GP1 grips puts me in a very comfortable riding position. I also went to micro tune and like that much better, Eco was still too much a good portion of the time.

Sorry you ae having issues. I am very happy with my bike and I think I have found my happy place with it. The Respiro Athletic seat is awesome along with the GP1 grips puts me in a very comfortable riding position. I also went to micro tune and like that much better, Eco was still too much a good portion of the time.

Yeah, I started using micro tune as well. It’s much nicer.

Will see how it goes.

I have a Selle Anatomica X2 on my CAAD 13 road bike and if the Respiro Athletic does not work out, I'm putting it on my Vado.
I like mine on my vado . I hated that Respiro Seat you mention . I have my Selle Anatomica on a Redshift Seat post . And use it on 2 different bikes . The only thing I have notice is that how high I have the seat varies between bikes . Once I figured that out it's an easy swap . I bought quality QR Seatpost clamps for both bikes so I can swap them out easily. Can't ride them both at once . That might not be the case for you as you have the Roadie . Where My other bike is a Flat Bar Dual Sport 4 . So about the same riding position as my Vado 4 .

Dynamic, a thought has just crossed my mind. You chose the top of the line Specialized Vado with the most powerful motor and a large battery. Your choice was the automatic IGH/belt for maintenance free and comfortable rides so you do not need to think of staying in the proper gear. In other words, you bought a SUV e-bike. I fully respect your choice and am happy with your happiness.

And now you come with the SPD. I could understand it if you were an SPD rider for most of your life and got addicted to the solution (as my brother and many mates got). However, you are riding a SUV e-bike. Why SPD? The clipless pedals/shoes are ridden by sporty traditional cyclists to maximize the leverage of the SPD to put & keep their bikes in motion (especially when they get off-the-saddle for a climb or acceleration). A powerful e-bike needs no SPD. Unless you cannot ride without the SPD.

When I was an inexperienced e-biker, I was of course experimenting. The Road SPD experiment ended with two painful crashes to me. The "beginner" MTB SPD experiment was safer but once I avoided a collision with a car (or a fall instead) only by the fact the SPD pedals I used allowed detaching the shoe by three different foot movements, and the spring was tightened lightly. Moreover, you cannot really change your SPD shoes for different seasons.

My eventual choice was simple: CrankBrothers Stamp 1 or 7, Large. And three varieties of shoes:
  • Adidas FiveTen Freerider Pro for the most of the year and for any long ride
  • Leather sandals with a thick sole and toe protection strip for hot summer
  • Hiking boots for the winter.
I can walk in any of these shoes when off the bike. And if I forget changing shoes, I just ride in sneakers. The FiveTens hold my feet on the pedal as if the shoe were glued to the pedal! To "disconnect" my 510s from the pedals, I actually need to raise my feet a little. And... I was often winning short sprints (for fun) with my younger and healthy gravel cycling mates, me not wearing any SPD.

If you need the SPD, go on. But... do you need the SPD? :)
Me thinks he has large as H--- credit card monthly and price is no object . He's not like us old farts who buy but browse around first before jumping the gun . I taught guitar music in my youth . I had one student that had a new guitar every couple of months . No el Cheapo's either ;) He never did learn to play very well . But it was interesting to see what he'd be coming in with next . Lot's of people are like him. They buy whatever they lust for that week. I've learned as I age that often what I thought I wanted . Wasn't what I ended up with after taking time to experience what I'd already purchased in the same realm first .
On the bright side Dynamic is great to buy used not used stuff from ;) Some ride bikes others buy them with good intentions .

Last edited:
I like mine on my vado . I hated that Respiro Seat you mention . I have my Selle Anatomica on a Redshift Seat post . And use it on 2 different bikes . The only thing I have notice is that how high I have the seat varies between bikes . Once I figured that out it's an easy swap . I bought quality QR Seatpost clamps for both bikes so I can swap them out easily. Can't ride them both at once . That might not be the case for you as you have the Roadie . Where My other bike is a Flat Bar Dual Sport 4 . So about the same riding position as my Vado 4 .
I haven't done a longer ride with the Respiro yet but it seems to be good for me although I think I need about 1-1.5 deg nose down for it to be perfect. My goal with this bike is to able jump on in shorts and t-shirt and just ride. I love my road bike but it's not always fun to have to gear up to ride, not to mention going into a place for a beer, food or whatever in bike shorts and cleats.....

I haven't done a longer ride with the Respiro yet but it seems to be good for me although I think I need about 1-1.5 deg nose down for it to be perfect. My goal with this bike is to able jump on in shorts and t-shirt and just ride. I love my road bike but it's not always fun to have to gear up to ride, not to mention going into a place for a beer, food or whatever in bike shorts and cleats.....
I hope the seat works for you . I actually have a seat call Bontrager Boulevard that came off of a 2022 Trek Verve . Before I purchased the Selle I was happy using it . What I like about my Selle after 2 years . It doesn't seem to require that first mile or 2 to adjust yourself to a comfortable spot . I also have my Selle looser then is likely what they would recommend . At 170 I can get away with it . My first year with it . The seat seemed more ridged after setting 4 months during the winter . This year I was able to start riding in February. The seat fits like a glove that's caught several thousand fly balls :)

So, I didn’t ride today or yesterday due to rain. This is driving me crazy. So now I am looking for some gear that will be rain friendly and get me into winter. Meaning, layering is probably key.

Anyone have gear they love during poor weather?

Due to weather and a kid home, I couldn’t get the bike to the LBS. But I did go through settings and have a successful recalibration. Hopefully getting a good ride in tomorrow. I do need to start looking for new loops.

So, I didn’t ride today or yesterday due to rain. This is driving me crazy. So now I am looking for some gear that will be rain friendly and get me into winter. Meaning, layering is probably key.

Anyone have gear they love during poor weather?

Due to weather and a kid home, I couldn’t get the bike to the LBS. But I did go through settings and have a successful recalibration. Hopefully getting a good ride in tomorrow. I do need to start looking for new loops.
I like my Showers Pass Century jacket, J&G shoe covers, and Guard Dogs goggles. Worked in this mornings torrential rain. I need better rain pants, am looking at the REI Co-op Junction pants that are on sale.

@Stefan Mikes Have you tried pairing ride with gps directly with the bike over bluetooth? It just paired fine for me, but I have no way of knowing if the data is moving ( hopefully get to ride later ). It would be pretty cool if simply pairing with the bike or the enviolo motor directly let those metrics through to ride with gps.

Back