Experience Thread: A noobie getting into a specialized vado 5.0 IGH

Welcome to the world of proprietary, closed systems :D Bosch Smart System or the older one?
I think this one is gen 4. Doesn't say smart. Other bikes in the line do. I was limiting myself to bikes with rohloff as an option, front suspension (no rear), and two batteries. I *think* that is two bikes. But they have useless filtering.

I think this one is gen 4. Doesn't say smart. Other bikes in the line do. I was limiting myself to bikes with rohloff as an option, front suspension (no rear), and two batteries. I *think* that is two bikes. But they have useless filtering.
The big, big, big, biggest issue I see with obtaining an "off-brand" (or 'other' than the BIG 3) bike is being locked into a specific LBS for support. Depending on the relationship the LBS has with the bike manufacturer can surely determine the comfort level of feeling protected. Not sure in your neck of the woods who is the "go to" LBS for what I call "off-brand" e-bikes, but before I invested in a $5-$6$7 k or more e-bike, I'd be going through as many discussion groups as I could find (and these forums on electricbikereviews.com) to do my homework.
Sure, a Bosch is a Bosh, a Yamaha is a Yamaha, a Mahle is a Mahle, and so forth.
As a point...my buddy bought Simon Cowells e-bike (M1 SPITZING EVOLUTION S-PEDELEC), not the one he crashed but he had one that was a 38 mph version beforehand, and that's the one he got. So, it got shipped from California to NJ, and guess what there is nobody but a handful of West Coast dealers to service the bike. What to do? Not that you would be in that situation, but close? Maybe?
Another example. I was all hot to trot to go to NY (Brooklyn) to see all the greatest e-bikes on the East Coast a few years ago. The premier place is Propel. They also have a place in Long Beach, Ca.. My only problem making a purchase from them is that if/when I needed any type of service (ANY), I'd have to shlep to Brooklyn. Not my cup of tea. So, think carefully before pulling the ripcord.
There was just a big e-bike Expo in Austin, Tx last week, you might have wanted to go see what is what before jumping into the next chapter. ( https://www.electrifyexpo.com/austin )
Maybe a similar show could be popping up in your area or closer?
Also, you might wish to have a discussion with a member in these forums who is very educated about many of the options...Alaskan

The big, big, big, biggest issue I see with obtaining an "off-brand" (or 'other' than the BIG 3) bike is being locked into a specific LBS for support. Depending on the relationship the LBS has with the bike manufacturer can surely determine the comfort level of feeling protected. Not sure in your neck of the woods who is the "go to" LBS for what I call "off-brand" e-bikes, but before I invested in a $5-$6$7 k or more e-bike, I'd be going through as many discussion groups as I could find (and these forums on electricbikereviews.com) to do my homework.
Sure, a Bosch is a Bosh, a Yamaha is a Yamaha, a Mahle is a Mahle, and so forth.
As a point...my buddy bought Simon Cowells e-bike (M1 SPITZING EVOLUTION S-PEDELEC), not the one he crashed but he had one that was a 38 mph version beforehand, and that's the one he got. So, it got shipped from California to NJ, and guess what there is nobody but a handful of West Coast dealers to service the bike. What to do? Not that you would be in that situation, but close? Maybe?
Another example. I was all hot to trot to go to NY (Brooklyn) to see all the greatest e-bikes on the East Coast a few years ago. The premier place is Propel. They also have a place in Long Beach, Ca.. My only problem making a purchase from them is that if/when I needed any type of service (ANY), I'd have to shlep to Brooklyn. Not my cup of tea. So, think carefully before pulling the ripcord.
There was just a big e-bike Expo in Austin, Tx last week, you might have wanted to go see what is what before jumping into the next chapter. ( https://www.electrifyexpo.com/austin )
Maybe a similar show could be popping up in your area or closer?
Also, you might wish to have a discussion with a member in these forums who is very educated about many of the options...Alaskan
While all valid points, I have one local LBS. And that is why I chose specialized. Problem is it didn’t help. They also service bosch which is why that is on the list. Outside of specialized and niner (and a smattering of lower end brands), that is the official supported brands. I have no way to transport bikes this weight anywhere else (that will change in August when car leases are up). I have a few other bike shops, but all are one brand primarily. So, for manufacture LBS, I will generally have one choice, if I can get to it.

This is making me lean toward good internet brands that want to work with your LBS. (Priority and Evelo both qualify here)

None of the big brands make rohloff or kindernay based bikes. If Enviolo is the problem, that is about all I have left for belt drive.

If I end up with chain, my LBS will be great with it just about regardless of where it is from. ( assuming the components are mainstream)

I was subjected to a 5 minute speech from my eight year old son this morning about how I need to "buy a regular bike, not an electric bike. You need to get stronger. Stop using pedal assist, get a regular bike and get stronger".

Yeah.

I think this one is gen 4. Doesn't say smart.
If you want the latest & greatest, you cannot be left with the older Bosch system, can you :) At least the Smart System promises some connectivity. (What connectivity? A mystery to me).

I was subjected to a 5 minute speech from my eight year old son this morning about how I need to "buy a regular bike, not an electric bike. You need to get stronger. Stop using pedal assist, get a regular bike and get stronger".

Yeah.
In reality, the increased assistance (as long as the motor power is not excessive) the Assist Mode buttons are just controlling your speed; as long it is not "ghost-pedalling". Is it a full power Vado or Vado SL, my leg input in a 100 km ride is about 1,300 kcal. Only I can make the distance in 4 hours on the big Vado and it is 5h 30 min for the Vado SL. And I could not make big hills on Vado SL.

If you want the latest & greatest, you cannot be left with the older Bosch system, can you :) At least the Smart System promises some connectivity. (What connectivity? A mystery to me).
Connectivity is irrelevant if the bike doesn't work. And *any* bike can get separate speed/power/cadence sensors on it regardless of what is included. Ant+/bluetooth "included" debate is basically irrelevant to me at this point. Will I have LEV? nope. On a regular bike I would probably put garmin edge on it with their power/cadence pedals, radar, speed and lights (given no one has up to date maps) and LEV is part of what broke garmin. Without LEV garmin won't flip out and become unusable if I ride on a trail it doesn't know and isn't mapped.
In reality, the increased assistance (as long as the motor power is not excessive) the Assist Mode buttons are just controlling your speed;
Yes, he doesn't understand that the e-bike lets me ride longer/further causing more energy to be used. But, in short term, I am not sure that a regular bike isn't a better option. It will *force* me to face these hills for basic routes. But, of course, it doesn't help when distance or time is the goal. No way I am doing long distance targets on a regular bike simply due to time, never mind effort. Or shopping, or anything else that adds significant weight or time to the ride.

But, training myself to deal with these immediate hills going to/from my house, as long as it doesn't cause me to stop biking *will* be a very effective way to train. Particularly in the winter when some of the longer routes are likely to be closed to me due to weather regardless of the bike I pick. These immediate routes on an e-bike are "nothing" routes.

Well, I bought a bike. Gonna keep it secret until it arrives and I try it. Should be here next week. 4th bike is the charm right?

I do not bet since my University times. I made a bet about Polish poetry. The stake was I wouldn't bet anymore if I lost. I lost the bet. 🤣

Back