Experience Thread: A noobie getting into a specialized vado 5.0 IGH

Then how did it get there? Because mission control doesn't do it. ( think I know the answer, but please look into it ). When I use mission control, it doesn't create any ride data in fitness, which means I can't see heart rate data associated with that ride (regardless of ant+ or otherwise). So, which app put the ride data and heart rate data in apple health?

I use it when I'm stopped. As it's typically easier and faster than using the phone.

Same as next one

You guys can't wrap your head around the fact that I am a *casual rider* that wants this data. I don't want to get off the bike, e-mail myself files to upload to 12 websites. I have been very clear that I want *less work* on my bike rides. If the app doesn't do it, I am not interested in it. I don't want to insert steps to go on a ride, or do when I get back. The Apple Experience. When I say the usability is terrible *this* is what I mean. It's the same reason I don't want a bike computer: more work. IT's not that I have any biased against them. It's that I am lazy. And I do biking for the sake of getting out of the house and enjoying myself. Not taking my technology job with me.

In this scenario it's purely trend analysis. Accuracy isn't all that important. That said, and unless you have done something mystical on your apple health side, even if I used a "better" heart rate monitor, I won't have that data in apple health. And yes, the apple watch absolutely misses readings at times. Just for the record, I actually *agree* that if the accuracy the data is essential, another option is likely better. It's not essential in my case.

I have answered this. The npe cable proves that this already works. Otherwise nothing would be able to read in that data. *You* told me, it works. So, if there isn't a standard that these apps used to read in the data npe cable was broadcasting, how did you get the data? I am sure no *bike* company is doing it today. But there are lots of Bluetooth Smart devices (including bike parts) out there that use the standards that exist today. How do you think BLE after market cadence, speed and power sensors work? RWGPS even has a list of them that work with the app directly.

So, does npe cable work or not? Because if it does, the BLE standards to get basic data *already exist*. Which is it? Can it give me cadence speed and power from the bike data or not?

I assume it can. And so, specialized *could* implement what exists today and then/also join the bluetooth board (I honestly forget what they call them at the moment) to shape tomorrow. Assuming specialized doesn't share @Stefan Mikes anti-smartphone beliefs.

Yeah me too. However, I would gladly accept a better mission control app in lieu of that. I don't mind walled gardens. I just want ones that work well and don't create lots of work for me.

there are many free, zero-effort ways to get the data from mission control to apple health. the free strava app will receive your mission control data automatically and transfer it to apple health. you don’t need to do anything, not even open it. it would be nice if mission control sent it directly but practically speaking, it has zero impact. happens in the background. the data is not proprietary to specialized, it’s a totally open/standard format. if they really wanted to create a walled garden, they’d encrypt it or use some wonky format.

i’m once again not sure if you’re being intentionally obtuse or what, but i’ve asked several times for an example of an e-bike which broadcasts industry standard bluetooth data. yes, bluetooth protocols exist for rider power and cadence and speed. of course they do. specialized’s non-e-bikes use them. e-bikes, on the other hand, use bluetooth for their control protocols, which are proprietary (for obvious reasons that the market has clearly illustrated), which makes also broadcasting the same data over separate bluetooth channels, paired to multiple devices or multiple apps in one physical device pairing way more complicated than you think. not impossible, of course. but the viiiiva and NPE cable don’t deal with this issue because they are a separate device totally redundant and unintegrated to the bike’s controller. sure, they could simply build this redundant radio and processing into the bike. but nobody - literally nobody that i’m aware of - has done this.

you keep asserting things that you don’t actually know - like the standards “already exist.” but guess what you don’t get from the cable? motor power. battery level. why? because those standards probably DON’T exist for bluetooth. standard cycling apps don’t even have those fields! i’ve tried many. weirdly …. they DO exist for ANT+ in the form of the e-bike profile. why do you think that is? because all the millions of people using it and writing the code and designing the hardware for it are dumber than you?

you act like specialized is uniquely bad in this regard, but they’re actually uniquely good by providing BOTH the encrypted bluetooth control/display protocol AND the industry standard ANT+ protocol.

Because I am not putting an extra device on me to solve the problem. So, either NPE Cable is it, or it doesn't exist. NPE Cable can live in my bike bag. Permanently.
once again, if that’s what you want, just get the viiiva and put it in your bag. you don’t have to wear the thing to use it. you don’t have to pair the HRM channel. more things you’d know if you tried it instead of just speculating!

47128A71-C391-477C-A3A9-A4253FBFF8BE.jpeg

they are hardly any different.

walled garden, indeed. a random app specialized undoubtedly never even thought of when they designed these bikes, displaying cadence and power on an iphone which hadn’t yet been released.

8F9A1F3C-92C7-42CE-8066-9205E3B60C05.jpeg

edit: doing a little research, i see that mahle, giant, and yamaha also support ANT+. the first one i looked further into is the giant ridecontrolone module, which uses the same LEV profile for ANT+ that specialized does, but, wait for it ............... by bluetooth, only connects to the giant specific app.

yep.JPG

Last edited:
more things you’d know if you tried it instead of just speculating!
I do know this. Do you know you have to activate it by touching the contacts? Npe cable wakes up automatically. Am I wrong? When I stop my bike for too long, viiiiva goes to sleep. If I don’t dig out of my bag and touch the contacts again, it won’t bridge the data, because it's off. So much for coffee breaks. You can learn things without having the device. Try it out. Let me know. Did they change that feature at some point? (Technically viiiiva doesn’t support fe-c either or whatever the control profile is. Not an issue for me as far as I know)

bluetooth, only connects to the giant specific app.

Does the app then give heart rate to apple health and upload rides to some set of services? (I honestly don't think so) Because if it does, it just slammed specialized. Bosch probably can. I know it uses apple health and has a watch app. Not sure it posts to a range of services. Oh, there's the bike manufacturer that *has* an apple watch *and* apple health integration. So I guess it's ok for specialized to do it now?

the free strava app will receive your mission control data automatically and transfer it to apple health.
See, your "open system" just forced me to use *specific services* in order to get the data off the bike. So your “not walled garden” solution is: I must use mission control, enable strava, wear a second heart rate monitor, use a second navigation app (RWGPS) which I must explicitly disconnect from apple health (and possibly the watch) to prevent duplicate data, lose apple watch control of the ride and after all that the only bike service that has bike data and heart data is strava….. nothing walled garden about this. Nothing at all. Nothing to see here. Move along. For the peanut gallery: This is literally, the definition of walled garden. Literally.

You are then going to say “you can take the files…. Blah blah blah”. Walled gardens aren’t just in concept. With your argument, apple isn’t a walled garden. Because I can take the files….and leave. Is this really what you mean?

i’m once again not sure if you’re being intentionally obtuse or what, but i’ve asked several times for an example of an e-bike which broadcasts industry standard bluetooth data.
I am not sure if you’re being intentionally obtuse: I don’t care if no one has done it *on a bike*. That only shows how stupidly backwards the industry is. I have said multiple times that specialized should do this because it would make the industry better. Npe cable has shown that they *could* do it. On a bike. Phone metaphor time! If you talked to steve and he said “I want to build the iphone”. Your response would have been “show me an example of someone else doing it”….. is this the hill you want to die on? Really? You are so against specialized doing something first? And *actually* being a leader? You know what, I know nothing about bike history, but if they followed your logic, I assume giant would have adopted ant+ first allowing specialized to do it. Is that true? Because that is what your way of thinking means.

NPE Cable and Viiiiva have shown that *basic* data could be moved using other methods. Specialized has not done this. Specialized has also left their apps in an embarrassing state. If your "criteria" is "show me others that do it", I reference you to nearly every other fitness app on the app store. Take your pick. But it's a good thing they have an "open" environment....
the data is not proprietary to specialized, it’s a totally open/standard format. if they really wanted to create a walled garden, they’d encrypt it or use some wonky format.
Again, none of my apple data is proprietary formats either. I can take it all and leave (and have, in fact, done that before). Is this your standard for walled gardens? You can create the effect of a walled garden *without* intending to. This happened here when the number of general ant+ receivers dropped to near zero. Yeah, apple may have killed ant+ by refusing to adopt it when samsung did (and subsequently dropped it). I am sorry that apple is the 800 lb gorilla in the room. But it is. And the rest of the world has to live with that or stop buying apple products.

The fact that specialized has not bothered to share what they can with other ecosystems is not *encouraging* to the idea that their intent is *not* a walled garden. It is entirely possible they are simply using open standards because they couldn't build their own ecosystem all at once. Given they encrypted and blocked blevo with no middle ground (ostensibly for security reasons that any competent development team would have known before hand), don't support apple or android's ecosystems well and have made no other effort for cross ecosystem sharing *themselves* while only relying on 3rd parties to do it, it is *entirely* possible that their long term plans is to seal themselves off when ready. they simply aren't ready yet. But, hey, they give you a file.

But lets assume their values *are* about sharing this data. To date, they have done remarkably little to engage other ecosystems and make it easier to do so. Occam's razor? The simplest explanation here is that *they don't want to*. Only two bike services and no integration with either ecosystem their applications reside. Not a strong argument here.

What specialized did do is put ant+ on their bikes. And if the above is any indication, they didn't do it *because* it's an open standard, they did it because it made their internal bike communication better. Ant+ is *excellent* for this use case. It's not excellent for generic sharing because bluetooth basically ran it over in the market. Not because it *couldn't* have been, but because the market went a different direction.

Let me turn your argument around: what if none of the bike manufacturers are embracing true open delivery of data because they *want* to be the owner. And they *want* to control it. And ant+ just messed that up. And, you know what? Specialized development choices make that a *distinct* possibility. Can you honestly show specialized's intent here?

The fact is, none of us know specialized intentions here. But their *actions* don't prove they have prioritized any kind of open sharing.

And here is what I bet *actually* happened. Because businesses aren't black and white:

Specialized, at some point realized they need iOS and Android applications to remain relevant in the industry. They said "what's the cheapest way we can do that" which is what any business would say when working outside of their main industry particularly while doing something based largely on market pressure (everyone else has an app...). Almost undoubtedly, either internally by specialized or externally by a development firm, a hybrid mobile app platform was selected so a code base could be developed once (mostly) and deployed to Apple's and Google's store. For some applications, these hybrid solutions are superb. They reduce initial work by a very large amount. Where you run into problems is apps that need to integrate with native things specific to each device or ecosystem for that app's industry. Once this happens, some frameworks have a way for you to "bridge" and develop code specifically for each ecosystem. Some don't. Some evolved enough to be missing very little native support. If they chose one that doesn't, the answer can be: "you have to re-develop this somewhere else". A *best case* is often that you still have to essentially develop specific code for each platform from that point forward. Why do I know this? Because I have been they guy they call to fix it. The end result here is the rush to do the early version of the app ends up costing far more later when the app needs to evolve and mature. Some companies choose this path because they would rather delay the cost even if it is far higher in the long term. Others get trapped simply because they didn't realize it could be a problem. I would not be surprised if the above is the reason specialized mobile apps are lacking so many integrations (not because they are evil. not because they don't want to. but because they dug themselves into a hole with poor technology management). This is *incredibly common* in these situations. Yes, I am an expert in this.

Their selection of e-commerce systems for their direct to consumer sales model is suffering similar issues. (You can call them and ask about it). Once you are charged, there is *no way* to re-charge you for the same order. This means that *any* billing issues that occur, for whatever reason, force you to return the order, and re-purchase (assuming there is stock). Since, you seem to need examples of bike companies that work differently: Priority. They can generate a different invoice, send you custom payment requests, and I just click the e-mail they send to buy it. Priority was, of course, born as a direct to consumer company. Specialized could learn a thing or two from them. Again, they could have picked a restrictive e-commerce system, *or* they have chosen these restrictions within a flexible one. We don't know. There are, of course, business reasons they might knowingly choose the second. Again, *I don't know*. All I know, is I personally experienced it.

Now BLEvo. If tampering was a concern, it never should have been unencrypted. It is kind of like starting an e-commerce store without SSL certificates. Just no. Now, I don't have any context on this one. But it definitely fits the pattern of rushing in and not thinking it through. It is quite possible that those older bikes should have been encrypted *from the start*, and you all got lucky if you use blevo. No context, but it fits the narrative. Either it should have been encrypted from the beginning, or it doesn't need to be. Is it sensitive data or not? Do they need to block the control path, or not? (and remember, disabling it in full is *not* the only solution here. even bluetooth can use authentication & authorization methods selectively).

Not going to comment on BLOKS. Not enough information.

So, on the surface, it seems to me that Specialized has a pattern of enabling the shortest path, without consideration to the problems and costs in doing so (either to customers or to them). Not because they aren't rider focused. But because they only think one step down the road. And they don't look at or consider that second step. Or the third. You know what my job often is? Preventing clients from falling into these traps around technology.

If the above is accurate, then their competency with this technology *is* in question. If it's not accurate, then what is left? A company that doesn't prioritize those things by direct choice?

And that only matters, because, as demonstrated above, this is a walled garden (please stop debating this. it fits the definition to perfection. get over it). And specialized is currently the keeper of the keys with no indication to us what it intends to do going forward. It *could* be a class leading open system. It also could be a class leading closed system (arguably, it is that today. I will concede that). But it is closed, perhaps not by specialized's active choice, but here we are.

Seriously, stop arguing the walled garden point. The things I am *forced* to use to get the data off the bike and still lose functionality have proven that point. It's a dead horse. Let it die.

Does the app then give heart rate to apple health and upload rides to some set of services? (I honestly don't think so) Because if it does, it just slammed specialized. Bosch probably can. I know it uses apple health and has a watch app. Not sure it posts to a range of services. Oh, there's the bike manufacturer that *has* an apple watch *and* apple health integration. So I guess it's ok for specialized to do it now?
1. Giant Ride Control app does not connect to Apple Health.
2. Giant e-bikes have ANT+ and do not connect to Apple Watch.
3. Giant Ride Control only sends the rides to Strava
4. Giant Ride Control app is one of most pathetic e-bike apps I could use.
5. Bosch e-bikes with Kiox or Nyon export rides to Strava. Nyon accepts routes from Komoot but not directly from RWGPS. Bosch e-bikes have no ANT+. Bosch e-bikes with Kiox or Nyon export rides to Apple Health.

@dynamic i’m not going to read that whole screed, but to summarize:

1) i agree with you that mission control should support the apple watch. for most people who ride bikes somewhat seriously this isn’t much of an issue because it’s a very poor HRM and even poorer display for biking.
2) i also agree that mission control should output ride data to apple health. i believe this has to happen locally on the phone due.
3) i also agree that it would be great if there was an industry wide bluetooth protocol/profile for e-bike monitoring, like there is for ANT+ with the LEV standard. this isn’t really a specialized issue specifically, as it would need to be a standard used by all the different hardware and app makers.
4) specialized has provided connectivity which is similar or better to other e-bike systems, with completely open, industry standard output on ANT+. this is what most serious cyclists want, but i also agree that it would be pretty cool if apple enabled ANT+ support on their phones.

i have nothing further to add here, other than to say that sometimes one has to move past predetermined preferences and actually try things out, experiment, and see what really works. like you, i came into this wanting to use my watch as a HRM and get things from mission control that it can’t do. it turns out the other ways of doing things actually work very well, reliably, inexpensively, flexibly, and consistently across multiple bikes over thousands of miles.

i have nothing further to add here, other than to say that sometimes one has to move past predetermined preferences and actually try things out, experiment, and see what really works. like you, i came into this wanting to use my watch as a HRM and get things from mission control that it can’t do. it turns out the other ways of doing things actually work very well, reliably, inexpensively, flexibly, and consistently across multiple bikes over thousands of miles.
Ironically, I say similar things to clients very regularly. It is, definitely, excellent advice.

Did you actually use viiiiva or npe cable with RWGPS? Because they just told me that viiiiva is not compatible with RWGPS.

I think the thing that will really drive me crazy, will be the managing of multiple apps. I honestly don't even want to be touching the phone when I ride. The biggest reason I do is to get the navigation or elevation on the screen. I could run the screen full time I guess.

Rain went away, and the sun is out. So I am heading out on a ride.

Did you actually use viiiiva or npe cable with RWGPS? Because they just told me that viiiiva is not compatible with RWGPS.

I think the thing that will really drive me crazy, will be the managing of multiple apps. I honestly don't even want to be touching the phone when I ride. …

i didn’t try cable with rwgps. hard to see why it wouldn’t work, it works with other bluetooth sensor aware cycling apps, and the profiles look standard when paired to cadence. cadence has a much better pairing interface where the device and data channels are clearly identified, and you can see in real time during pairing what the content of the field is.

i can easily confirm if it works tonight. RwGPS definitely has better navigation.

Ironically, I say similar things to clients very regularly. It is, definitely, excellent advice.

I think the thing that will really drive me crazy, will be the managing of multiple apps…

so, in an illustration of the sorry state of the bluetooth profiles related to cycling, neither the viiiva or cable seem to work with RwGPS. the viiiva only shows as a heart rate monitor and the cable shows no sensors at all.

i suppose now i should be surprised retroactively that it actually works so well with cadence 😂😂 which seems to be the only app that actually looks for multiple profiles/sensors within a single device.

ANT+ has none of these issues, having been designed for this type of equipment. really too bad that phones don’t support it!

1. Giant Ride Control app does not connect to Apple Health.
2. Giant e-bikes have ANT+ and do not connect to Apple Watch.
3. Giant Ride Control only sends the rides to Strava
4. Giant Ride Control app is one of most pathetic e-bike apps I could use.
5. Bosch e-bikes with Kiox or Nyon export rides to Strava. Nyon accepts routes from Komoot but not directly from RWGPS. Bosch e-bikes have no ANT+. Bosch e-bikes with Kiox or Nyon export rides to Apple Health.
Well, perhaps this tirade is better applied to all bike manufacturers. :)

really too bad that phones don’t support it!
I agree.

So, at the end of the day, a "bike computer" is still "easier". Still stuck with strava and an hrm to get ride data and heart rate into apple health.

Can someone elaborate on how RWGPS integrates with bike computers?

When I plan a ride, it happens in two scenarios. 1) I am inside, off bike, just planning tomorrow's/future ride. And will want to share it with the bike "easily" at go time. 2) I have a change while biking (or I am on a multi-leg and track as separate "rides"). This is how I typically handle functional stops. I don't run it as one ride with pauses (usually unless the pause is very fast, like running into a store to buy one thing and leaving)

The reason I like RWGPS so much is the planning is spectacular, I can just create control points and drag them around to force/avoid specific roads. I was looking for an "avoid this marked road always" in it. Not sure it has that (some other app did don't remember which). It works for both the above as long as I am doing separate rides. Changing a ride I am on.... hasn't seemed like something it handles, but I haven't tried that hard as it's not that common. And the re-routing does eventually figure it out if I just start riding off the plan (assuming the destination didn't change, which I actually have *not* done yet).

So, the ideal bike computer would:

1) Allow me to send rides to the bike computer *with the share button* in iOS (or similarly simple/easy). Ideally when home on wifi or out on the bike (which would mean bluetooth).
2) It would be great if it's planning features were not ridiculously sub-par compared to RWGPS so I *can* quickly change or build a route. ( think, change of plans, routing straight home )
3) Give me a good understanding of what is coming up. I constantly switch between elevation and the stats while on my bike in RWGPS.
4) enable the phone staying in a bag. (if I still feel like I need the phone on the handlebars, it's a non-starter. I have a one device limit)

I *think* my vado has a usb plug? The bike computer would live on the bike plugged into it. I doubt this effects mileage much, but I don't want to charge more stuff. So, have to live with that. (if it can charge that device while the bike is off and charging itself, I would potentially unplug the bike computer when out on a ride, and plug it back in when I get home if I had to). I am assuming the vado can charge devices.

Thoughts?

I agree.

So, at the end of the day, a "bike computer" is still "easier". Still stuck with strava and an hrm to get ride data and heart rate into apple health.

Can someone elaborate on how RWGPS integrates with bike computers?

When I plan a ride, it happens in two scenarios. 1) I am inside, off bike, just planning tomorrow's/future ride. And will want to share it with the bike "easily" at go time. 2) I have a change while biking (or I am on a multi-leg and track as separate "rides"). This is how I typically handle functional stops. I don't run it as one ride with pauses (usually unless the pause is very fast, like running into a store to buy one thing and leaving)

The reason I like RWGPS so much is the planning is spectacular, I can just create control points and drag them around to force/avoid specific roads. I was looking for an "avoid this marked road always" in it. Not sure it has that (some other app did don't remember which). It works for both the above as long as I am doing separate rides. Changing a ride I am on.... hasn't seemed like something it handles, but I haven't tried that hard as it's not that common. And the re-routing does eventually figure it out if I just start riding off the plan (assuming the destination didn't change, which I actually have *not* done yet).
Derrek,
Let me answer based on Wahoo ELEMNT bike computers as I own both Roam and Bolt v2 (I prefer Bolt: more modern although smaller). Let us start with: Wahoo is being totally configured from your iPhone (Garmins are device-based computers). You, i.a., pair the Wahoo Companion App with your Vado; differently to Garmin, a Wahoo can see all e-bike sensors as "E-Bike". It is also possible to pair a BT/ANT+ compatible HR monitor and multiple Spec or Giant e-bikes). Important is that you also can connect a Wahoo to your home WiFi (that helps with device firmware updates and automatic uploading ride data to Strava and RideWithGPS if you want it to have that done transparently to you).

1. You are indoor at your place and are planning your future trip. Just plan your route on your Mac in RWGPS as usually. When you have saved your route, RWGPS allows you "sharing to the device", and you simply select a Wahoo. Now, connect the Wahoo Companion App with your Wahoo computer: your route will be immediately available on your device! You can also press Sync on the device: it will use your home WiFi to connect to RWGPS and download the route.
  2. Let us assume you forgot uploading the route to the device and you are outdoor on the next day with your Vado. Just start the Wahoo Companion App, and as long as you are inside mobile data coverage, you can select your route in the App and upload it to the device (the RWGPS route will be automatically sent to Wahoo Cloud over the mobile data).
  3. You are at a distant point of your ride and would like to find a route to your next destination (or Home). The easy way: Start Wahoo Companion App, click Take Me To... and enter the street address or tap on the map or select from your preset destinations. You can even select a location such as Home on the device; unfortunately selecting from a map is tricky there as Wahoo is button-operated.
  4. However, as a RWGPS subscriber, you can quickly plan a better route on your iPhone. When finished, click "Share" and share to Wahoo Companion App. Then send the route from the Wahoo app to the device.
I like Wahoo computers because they are button based (important in cold climate where I live). You Derrek could be attracted by touchscreen devices: Garmin Edge 830, 1030+, 1040+. Only the config is done on the device and is somewhat tiresome. Note: Garmin Edge computers handle elevation and climbing far better than Wahoo does it!

So, the ideal bike computer would:
1) Allow me to send rides to the bike computer *with the share button* in iOS (or similarly simple/easy). Ideally when home on wifi or out on the bike (which would mean bluetooth).
Yes.
2) It would be great if it's planning features were not ridiculously sub-par compared to RWGPS so I *can* quickly change or build a route. ( think, change of plans, routing straight home )
I use RWGPS routes for Wahoo and only use Wahoo automatic route planning for quick rides home from distant locations. Note: Wahoo route planning is bike-friendly, same as RWPGS is.
3) Give me a good understanding of what is coming up. I constantly switch between elevation and the stats while on my bike in RWGPS.
In Wahoo, you flip data pages with a large, solid button. Garmin flips pages by your touch, or from a dedicated remote. (You need to flip pages between: Workout, Navigation, Climbing).
4) enable the phone staying in a bag. (if I still feel like I need the phone on the handlebars, it's a non-starter. I have a one device limit)
Wahoo can work totally autonomously. It can be, however, connected to the Wahoo Companion App for the whole ride time.

I *think* my vado has a usb plug? The bike computer would live on the bike plugged into it. I doubt this effects mileage much, but I don't want to charge more stuff. So, have to live with that. (if it can charge that device while the bike is off and charging itself, I would potentially unplug the bike computer when out on a ride, and plug it back in when I get home if I had to). I am assuming the vado can charge devices.
A fully charged Wahoo is good for 17 hours of operation. Garmin can stand even more. The charging current is minimal, and these computers charge very fast.

The bottom line: Both Wahoo and Garmin will upload your rides to Strava, RWGPS and plethora of other sports trackers. Automatically, or on demand.

Last edited:
I *think* my vado has a usb plug? The bike computer would live on the bike plugged into it. I doubt this effects mileage much…

if you can indeed charge it on bike, it wouldn’t even be a measurable impact. battery in a small bike computer is around 2mah, 3.7v, or approx 1/100 the size of your main battery and lasts for 15+ hours. not sure i’d want the cable flopping around though, with that kind of battery life i’d just plug it in once in a while.

if you can indeed charge it on bike, it wouldn’t even be a measurable impact. battery in a small bike computer is around 2mah, 3.7v, or approx 1/100 the size of your main battery and lasts for 15+ hours. not sure i’d want the cable flopping around though, with that kind of battery life i’d just plug it in once in a while.
The longest time I was with my Wahoo on for all the time was 12 h 28 min, and there was still a plenty of juice in the device battery left.

I just don't want to remember to charge it. But, short cables are a non-issue. (you can even get them custom made). So, if I did "forget to charge it" I just want it in the bag so I can plug it into the bike (again, assuming it can charge it). If it can't, I would potentially carry one of many small battery packs I already own.

You Derrek could be attracted by touchscreen devices
Not really. I've used an iPhone outside in the cold. I know it sucks without iphone specific gloves (and can still suck). In fact, face id made a huge difference on that over touch id. But still not great. ;) Garmin seems to "on-bike" everything focused. I *want* the iPhone integrations. (though if I were going for a watch to, garmin would seemingly be the way to go).

Thank you for the detailed and spectacular response as always!

I only have two concerns about the Roam which I am not sure I can really address here:

1) Roam does seem a bit dependent on their app. As long as that is smooth, it's a non-issue. (when you say sharing from RWGPS to Wahoo App to device, I get nervous). But it *looks* like this really is fine.
2) The current roam is discontinued. And it is the same price as the bolt (which, for me, means I would buy the roam, as I see no downsides).

The thing is, I don't buy new technology when the replacement is *just coming out* (which may be the case for a roam v2). And, it seems that the bolt is basically the same device *except* you need the wahoo app to do some things that the roam can do on device.

Do these bike computers have regular update cycles? Like is the new roam going to come out in 5 minutes?

Maybe the new Roam will come out in 5 minutes?! Possible!

Having owned the Roam, I liked the big number of data-fields (11) on the Workout page (Bolt v2 can accommodate up to 9 fields only and has a smaller screen).
  • Roam had the Micro-USB, obsolete. Bolt has USB-C.
  • Roam did not have elevation data in the maps and had to rely on the barometric altimeter only. Bolt has the elevation data in maps.
  • Roam had far too little of the internal memory! You were well off to delete all maps not of your interest and only keep the maps important to you to reclaim the memory.
  • Roam had pretty limited colours, making the maps less readable. Bolt has far better colours and image sharpness.
  • Roam had a vertical row of LEDs that could be used for multiple purposes, for instance for visualizing Garmin Varia radar. Bolt shows the traffic from Varia on the screen (worse!)
If you say the Roam is discontinued then the only logical option is the Roam v2 would be released in some future. When? No idea! Just replace the obsolete features of the Roam with Bolt v2 options, and it is done! Oh, I wish to have Roam v2... Cannot buy a new computer so often though! :D

I love the Wahoo buttons! I operate them in gloves now with no issue. Still, the Climb Pro and TrailForks of Garmin are better!

I just don't want to remember to charge it. But, short cables are a non-issue. (you can even get them custom made). So, if I did "forget to charge it" I just want it in the bag so I can plug it into the bike (again, assuming it can charge it). If it can't, I would potentially carry one of many small battery packs I already own.
Charging isn’t difficult to manage, if you have a routine.

I set up a charging station in my garage. After every ride, I plug in all rechargeable items (Creo, Range Extender, HR monitor, Varia Radar and Wahoo Roam). If I’ve found it necessary to swap my SRAM derailleur battery (I always carry a fully-charged spare), I plug that in as well. All chargers are plugged into a timer, so I can’t forget to turn them off.

It takes maybe a minute to initiate the process, and since I’m charging the bike anyway, it’s not a bother at all. Reinstalling everything before a ride takes only a few seconds.
I only have two concerns about the Roam which I am not sure I can really address here:

1) Roam does seem a bit dependent on their app. As long as that is smooth, it's a non-issue. (when you say sharing from RWGPS to Wahoo App to device, I get nervous). But it *looks* like this really is fine.
2) The current roam is discontinued. And it is the same price as the bolt (which, for me, means I would buy the roam, as I see no downsides).

The thing is, I don't buy new technology when the replacement is *just coming out* (which may be the case for a roam v2). And, it seems that the bolt is basically the same device *except* you need the wahoo app to do some things that the roam can do on device.

Do these bike computers have regular update cycles? Like is the new roam going to come out in 5 minutes?
Can you provide a source for the discontinuation of the original Roam? I see it is significantly discounted, which could be an indication, but I can only find rumors of its discontinuation.

Not really. I've used an iPhone outside in the cold. I know it sucks without iphone specific gloves (and can still suck). In fact, face id made a huge difference on that over touch id. But still not great. ;) Garmin seems to "on-bike" everything focused. I *want* the iPhone integrations. (though if I were going for a watch to, garmin would seemingly be the way to go).

Thank you for the detailed and spectacular response as always!

I mean you no offense : But do you ever ride ? or is your thing buying everything that you really don't need . It's a bike get on it and ride it . If you start having chest pains from climbing a hill go to the hospital . If you don't than thank the Lord for letting you breath one more day and be happy . Like I said no offense , but you seem more into buying then you do riding the damm thing . :)

Just replace the obsolete features of the Roam with Bolt v2 options, and it is done!
Yeah, that might have talked me into the bolt. I hopefully don't *need* the on bike features.
I mean you no offense : But do you ever ride ?
I have been riding every second I can. Which amounts to 10+ miles a day most days. Stefan can confirm that as he sees a good portion of those rides hit strava (but not all of them).
Unfortunately, I am not retired, and 10+ miles a day is seriously pushing my available time. Life will likely not allow that to continue.

Do you not see my ride posts? They have slowed down *only* because I am not learning new things on every single ride anymore.

How much do you ride per day?

Can you provide a source for the discontinuation of the original Roam?
REI purchase page says it. And while retailers aren't always accurate on this stuff, it does seem to align with the way bolt got replaced among other things.

if you have a routine.
I don't, that's the point. If I am lucky, I am about to go out for a ride in a few minutes. Assuming I can, I will have *just* enough time to get on the bike and do a 10-12 mile loop between meetings. I literally don't have time to change, get stuff together, put it on (clothes, straps.... etc). This is why a chest HRM is too much. For every minute I need to prepare to go, or do things when I get back, is one less minute of ride time.

Anyone trying to fit daily riding into a 40-50 hour work week when they have young kids would understand this. These bike experiences *are not designed for the busy casual rider*.

To be honest, if I didn't require an e-bike from a fitness perspective to get around on the hills here I wouldn't have one. It's simply another thing to charge. If in a year I can do these same routes on an appropriate non-electric bike (albeit, slower), there is a possibility I would switch away from the e-bike just to eliminate plugging the thing in. I tried a number of specialized regular bikes at the store and tried going up 1 mile into the local park. It was a no go unfortunately.

Hopefully, off I go.

Back