Experience Thread: A noobie getting into a specialized vado 5.0 IGH

I would!
So, for me, no. Apple should do what apple does best. And that's electronic software and hardware that seamlessly works together. I am also against an Apple Car. There is very little they can add to the car industry that they can't do with *just* carplay. Given Apple's declining product perfectionism, I am a bit terrified of them actually making a car. Or a bike. But, I would take BikePlay and CarPlay anytime (hard requirement for all cars I lease/purchase now). Carplay is ridiculously better than any car system I have used.

That said, maybe apple has some original ideas about how to improve the car industry. Maybe they really will succeed at tackling auto driving. Maybe they will do a direct to customer sales and support that makes sense. Maybe apple isn't about selling cars but having a rental fleet to subscribe temporarily like uber. Who knows.

Note on Apple: Their history of success revolves around re-thinking problems in original ways or implementing something incredibly more approachable than other options. That is where they hold "big" achievements. I don't see a strong path for either of those. Example, Apple TV. There isn't anything exceedingly original about it. And it will be a hard path for them with people like Disney and Netflix with existing content libraries and agreements. Even the implementation is a bit sub-par for Apple products. Apple will likely remain "just another player" in that realm, not necessarily a leader. What it does do is makes the entire "Apple Package" more appealing.

My two cents. ;)

If they were truly anti-apple they shouldn’t have apps for iOS devices. But they do. And have selectively decided to not implement easily implemented iOS (and android) features supporting their industry.

They should drop the apps entirely if that is their path. Why haven’t they? They are basically useless and rendered more useless by a bike computer. Why do they exist at all?

I don’t understand. The app - Mission Control - adds a lot of very useful functionality. It works more or less as promised, a few glitches here and there but I personally used it for thousands of miles of hard riding on my Creo without problem. The bike also features ANT+ output, so you can use a bike computer, as many (most?) serious cyclists choose, or an ANT bridge if you’d like to use your phone but not use mission control. I did this too, for many rides without problem at all.

It is a bicycle, a machine with moving parts upon which your life depends. Specialized is under NO obligation to let anyone who feels like it write apps that control the motor. Consider riding in traffic uphill, full turbo mode, and a glitch in your janky phone app sends a signal it shouldn’t and the motor goes off. You’re in the wrong gear for a big climb at that speed, you fall off the bike, get run over. This is why the Bluetooth protocol which can actually control the motor is proprietary but the ANT+ protocol, which is essentially read only, is industry standard and open source. If you wish, you can control the bike from the buttons on the bike itself, and gather data safely on another device of your choice via ANT+. It works very well. I speak from experience.

Back to the experience thread. I put air in my tires and my son's tires. My son's riprock was presta valves and I had never used one. Took me a few minutes as I was thrown off.

My tires were pretty low. And, amazingly, I had more numbness once I brought the tire pressure up. So, I think at least some of this is road vibration and the suspension isn't killing off enough of it for my hands. I also road much more aggressively today. Pedaling anytime I could make the bike go faster. No casual enjoy the view nonsense.

The other day, I hit a rock turning on to the rail trail, and I was almost thrown off as the bike slid a bit. Scared the hell out of me and I immediately unclipped both feet without thinking about it. Stressed out a thigh muscle doing it (temporarily). I have really adjusted to being clipped in. It didn't even bother me in traffic. I might switch myself to two sided clip pedals. Even just going out with the kids, I am not sure being clipped in would bother me, if having to get specific shoes on just to do that wasn't overly annoying.

My ride today was all about beating the rain. I wore the rain coat just in case, but I beat it, and the rain coat was too warm. It's gonna get relegated to colder weather if the hoodie can handle the rain in warmer weather.

Good ride. Pushed a lot of it at 100% assist to make it as fast as possible. But the trail sections got 20% cause speed will kill me there.

Back to the experience thread. I put air in my tires and my son's tires. My son's riprock was presta valves and I had never used one. Took me a few minutes as I was thrown off.

My tires were pretty low. And, amazingly, I had more numbness once I brought the tire pressure up. So, I think at least some of this is road vibration and the suspension isn't killing off enough of it for my hands. I also road much more aggressively today. Pedaling anytime I could make the bike go faster. No casual enjoy the view nonsense.

The other day, I hit a rock turning on to the rail trail, and I was almost thrown off as the bike slid a bit. Scared the hell out of me and I immediately unclipped both feet without thinking about it. Stressed out a thigh muscle doing it (temporarily). I have really adjusted to being clipped in. It didn't even bother me in traffic. I might switch myself to two sided clip pedals. Even just going out with the kids, I am not sure being clipped in would bother me, if having to get specific shoes on just to do that wasn't overly annoying.

My ride today was all about beating the rain. I wore the rain coat just in case, but I beat it, and the rain coat was too warm. It's gonna get relegated to colder weather if the hoodie can handle the rain in warmer weather.

Good ride. Pushed a lot of it at 100% assist to make it as fast as possible. But the trail sections got 20% cause speed will kill me there.

a good clue! too much weight on your hands + vibration. keep as much weight on your feet as possible. grip the bars just enough to balance and steer, but not bear your weight. practice letting go of the bars lightly while still pedaling, you should feel a tightening of your core muscles and an increase in cadence, but not tip forward. slide your seat back a teensy bit and see if it helps.

Specialized is under NO obligation to let anyone who feels like it write apps that control the motor.
I have no desire for this. I simply want them to collect heart rate data from apple health and have navigation. Neither of which are particularly difficult from an engineering perspective in an iOS application. But, if I use mission control, I lose both. If I use nearly any other app, I lose bike data but get heart rate and navigation not to mention very good apple watch integration in other ways.
The bike also features ANT+ output, so you can use a bike computer
A bike computer represents extreme compromises in usability and service choice compared to app choice on a phone.
or an ANT bridge if you’d like to use your phone
NPE cable is unobtanium. Viiiiva sources are questionable and seem to be price gouged at the moment. But, I really don't want to wear their heart monitor anyway. I know of no other bridge. I was hoping a garmin watch or other device would effectively function as a bridge. But it does not seem to be the case.
glitch in your janky phone app
One thing I can pretty much guarantee, I write better code and apps than whoever did specialized apps. It has all the signs of cross platform web porting that non-native developed apps tend to come burdened. And, can also explain the complete lack of use of native platform technologies like HealthKit, MapKit and others.
you can control the bike from the buttons on the bike itself
Again, no desire to control the bike differently (in fact, the on bike controls are superb. specialized experience here shines). I simply want access to the data. And since there are only two devices on the planet that will read ANT+ and deliver Bluetooth Smart (that I am aware), neither of which are reasonably obtainable, I am at the mercy of junky bike computers, that will require additional heart rate monitor and maybe *still* not give apple health the data without tying me to a service I already dismissed from a usability point of view (strava). This is on a bike that likely has better versions of whatever is in the NPE cable and could almost certainly broadcast the ant+ data through bluetooth smart without the need for any additional anything if specialized chose to implement that capability.

If specialized is a "leader" in this, the bar is set incredibly low. Some Viiiiva review posts are from 2013. It's comical seeing the screenshots of the apps that could do this back then. 9 years ago, this was already a solved problem. In technology, 9 years is an eternity. Why, in 9 years, has specialized not bothered to expose data that is already present and available to bluetooth smart?

Anyway, there is a reason. And it is probably business related more than technology related. I would like the option to use my phone as my bike computer without sacrificing some subset of data.

That is the point. And, since my experience with specialized so far is that they are anything but rider focused, this just adds more fuel to that fire. And, also, I have no problems being ultra vocal on (almost) any topic. Specialized feels like it is resting on its laurels. And they need a good kick to get them back into gear.

Something else I have been thinking about. This problem really only applies primarily to e-bikes. And that may be part of the problem. On a regular bike, I would probably choose to use BLE enabled accessories since most appear to be BLE and ANT+ and choosing BLE enables the phone. But, regular bikes basically need a bike computer to exist (phone or otherwise) to record the data. The legacy of regular bikes has really made the jump to e-bikes murky for manufacturers. On a regular bike, the interrelationship between parts is practically non-existent. So "modularity" is a matter of changing one part without overly effecting others (within reason). I can change *just* the tires, or brakes, or cranks or ... anything, without directly coupling changes with the other parts (again, within reason). E-bike systems are not like that. Electronics require direct coupling and dependence whether hardware or software to function. That doesn't mean they can't be made modular and de-coupled. But it's a *conceptual* change more than a physical one.

The thing is, specialized appears to have done a better job decoupling their systems. Their brose motor is literally *their motor*. Mastermind seems to be largely unique to them (or I haven't seen anything it seems to be largely based upon). Yet they support a range of e-bikes. This would be hard to do without the ability to manage the coupling. ENviolo automatiq is *intended* to be coupled with and interacted with by other systems (at minimum it needs cadence provided to it). But, for some reason, they have stopped short at data output. Giant may be the same. Why? Is it purely a legacy "hey we didn't used to need to think about this, so we still don't" thing?

Anyway, the cycling industry seems to be one that is incredibly resistant to change. And I really don't see an inherent reason why that is the case.

End of pontification.

a good clue! too much weight on your hands + vibration. keep as much weight on your feet as possible. grip the bars just enough to balance and steer, but not bear your weight. practice letting go of the bars lightly while still pedaling, you should feel a tightening of your core muscles and an increase in cadence, but not tip forward. slide your seat back a teensy bit and see if it helps.
I have been working on being conscious of hand weight. This has lead to riding much more actively as well. Using legs as bump suspension, just focusing on the core to stay in a "deadlift" position. Very active pedaling. But there is a balance, as I get more aggressive I also tend to lean forward. That doesn't help.

My saddle is basically slammed all the way back. And the height is adjusted with heal to pedal method. I suspect the greater vibration generated by higher tire pressure could be handled by padded gloves (haven't been wearing them as I want to treat the cause, not the symptom). But yeah, core strength. If I get to the point where touching the grips has nothing to do with holding weight, I can't imagine it would be a problem anymore. Well, maybe on insane vibration terrain.

I suspect their repair/return rates will speak louder than anything we can do
Specialized could survive the mass upgrading of the failed BLOKS system to TCD-w. In 2017, the world could see the advent of the Specialized Turbo Vado. Because of an unfortunate corporate decision, BLOKS display system from a startup company was chosen, and Vado (and then Como) were relying on BLOKS performance. Which was a disaster! BLOKS was freezing, resetting, losing data, made the e-bikes inoperable until the display was removed from the handlebars and reset. It didn't work with Mission Control at all (and the Mission Control was a very serious promise from Specialized). In 2019, BLOKS went belly up, leaving not only the existing users but also the whole produced fleet of Vados and Comos (2017-2019) with nothing. And it never worked with Mission Control.

Specialized could find and implement the new TCD-w Gen 1 system that was working flawlessly (and worked with Mission Control). A programme was announced: any 2017-2019 Vado/Como user could ask for the free upgrade from BLOKS to TCD-w, even post-warranty! It was not only the hardware but also the labour of the LBS involved, as the overhaul required dismantling and reassembling half of the e-bike!

I bought a special Euro version of MY 2017 Vado 5.0 (45 km/h) on November 1st, 2019, and the warranty started running on that day. I immediately understood I bought a lemon! The BLOKS was as bad as only possible. I'll never forget an early ride when the BLOKS got stuck and I had to pedal unassisted for 15 km upwind! (I learned how to reset the BLOKS soon after). Thanks to this Forum members I could find a half-baked Specialized app that was an unfinished "Mission Control for BLOKS" and I was using it for motor tuning. Meanwhile, I was waiting for the TCD-w conversion set. While BLOKS -> TCD-w conversion kit was available for all regular Vados and Comos, the "Euro 45 km/h set" had to be Type Approved and produced yet. I was riding my "lemon" for 7 months.

In May 2020, I was invited to the Specialized LBS I was using at that time. The 45 km/h Type Approved set included:
  • TCD-w with cables
  • New Supernova M99 Pro headlight (current price is near to 400 EUR, and it was about US$500 at that time)
  • New rack with integrated rear lights, STOP indicator, and number plate support lit with LEDs
  • New horn, and separate horn button
  • New remote
  • Labour to upgrade the system
I paid zero for the conversion.

Were the "repair/return rates" dangerous" to Specialized? I think not. When you spend a good couple of thousand of bucks on a Specialized e-bike, you are investing in the warranty.

The rate of failure of Specialized/Brose motors was pretty high. It was especially affecting Specialized electric mountain e-bikes (Levo and Kenevo). At some time point, Specialized extended the warranty on motors to as many as four years! Effectively protecting many users post-warranty! (Now, the Gen 2 Specialized motors seem to be much more durable).

If the failing motors and persistent replacement of them by Specialized did not harm the brand, I do not think anything could harm the company. (Unless the management would make fundamental mistakes in the future).
------------
Apple Watch is not a sports smartwatch. It is a yuppie thing but not a sports watch.

@mschwett is right on bike computers. On my gravel group rides, any traditional rider there owns a Garmin Edge or Wahoo ELEMNT. Some use Hammerhead Karoo2 but the latter does not work with e-bikes! Why use Apple Watch? Because you happen to own it? Use a decent ANT+ compatible HR monitor, such as the wrist worn Polar OH-1.
------------
Your hand numbness:
I do not own a 2022 Vado so I am unfamiliar with its stem and steerer. I am sure the steerer is a standard 1 1/8" tube compatible with the A-HEAD system. You could try an A-HEAD stem riser, say, 75 mm high. It would shift your body weight from the arms onto the saddle. Hand numbness gone, welcome pain in your butt! :)

Last edited:
Specialized could survive the mass upgrading of the failed BLOKS system to TCD-w
Sure. And it looks like they did the right thing. But depending on the number of bikes and % of their sales, this could have been very painful for them unless they keep a strong cash reserve. And, the problem with that, is depending on the total outlay, they may have had to take money from elsewhere or delay other projects. We don't know. However, this is probably one of the reasons they have gone to using their own control centers (mastermind).
Were the "repair/return rates" dangerous" to Specialized?
You don't know. And neither do I. But assuming a 5,500 bike model suddenly needed $1,000 *for every single unit sold* for a period of time, that is a huge hit to profit margins on that specific set of bikes. Warranty repair work lives off the idea that not every unit sold will need it (or if they do, it's built into the sale price). When this happens to a company with a single line of products (not specialized, they have many lines of products), they are in danger of being put out of business (or not do what specialized did, and try and survive the negative reputation generated by not supporting their customers).

I have no idea what Specialized financial situation looks like. Only a vague idea of company size and value. But, you may have just explained why their apps look like they are developed by a cut rate firm and lack features of nearly any competing app: They didn't have the money, or de-prioritized the app funding to deal with the above.

You keep trying to show specialized as some rosy happy thing. I think they have done some things very well. But customer service and software engineering are severely lacking. The LBS network covers for the former to some extent. Nothing protects their amateur apps.

You want to be so sure about your bike computer? Go buy the Viiiiva, hook it up to some compatible app and use your phone to gather your data and use the viiiiva as your HRM. Then report back.

@mschwett has at least tried it. And has positive experiences. Why don't you before you bash wanting to not spend hundreds of dollars to replace the things I already own with far inferior options.

Why use Apple Watch? Because you happen to own it?
Because biking is the only activity I do that *requires* me to invest in specific monitoring gear to make it work. You know what my Apple Watch can do? Jump Roping, Swimming, Running, Weight Lifting..... etc. *NONE* of the other activities I do require me to invest in separate monitoring tools to replace the far more capable one that is always on my wrist. That doesn't even touch the non-fitness related things my apple watch does for me. If you are willing to do that, good for you. I am not. Biking is only a small percentage of the things the apple watch supports.

And, again, I bet if you tried the viiiiva and had the pure phone experience *you* would suddenly be a convert to. (Assuming these products actually do what they claim, again, reviews seem to think that they do).

Go ahead. try it. Prove me wrong. :)

The biking this morning was rough. I am guessing my leg muscles may need a few days off. They aren't going to get them, but they need them.

11.5 miles where the goal was to not go through town and not have the ride up to the house be a big effort. I wanted to get home slightly more refreshed. Did it work? a bit. I did one of the two 2.5 mile ascents I had done previously. I then came down to my house on back roads to avoid having to climb back up to it from town. That stupid climb to my house, I am the "local legend" on strava for doing that segment more times than anyone else. Believe me, if I could avoid it, I would. I used a lot of full assist today. Even forgot what it was in as I just focused on the road. Was trying to avoid as much washboard/gravel vibration as I could to help with numbness.

Interestingly, RWGPS often tries to cut through local streets instead of staying to the main ones. I decided to let it do that today, and this time, not such a great decision. It took me over these two very short and steep hills. I looked at them, and went immediately into 100% and did it. That isn't the problem. It's the down that is the problem. Both of them end a steep incline in a hard stop. And both of them were the kind of hill that had me nervous from the angle. So basically road the brakes down. They weren't particularly long or tall (just little blips in the elevation map) but definitely not something I want on my route if there is another way. I love hills like this when they have a long run out to slow down.

As I write this, it is pouring outside. I managed to beat the rain this morning. Still struggling with warmth comfort. The hoodie was also too warm, but I definitely want *something* for wind and minor wetness protection. I almost want to go out for a second ride in this rain. It just looks so refreshing! No, my legs need a break!

Sadly, no Cycling, and, specifically, no E-Biking.
It does cycling fantastically. Built-in gps and heart rate monitor. I could use it *without the phone* and still get my health data. No ant+, no other contraption, it's already on my wrist. Go.
Have you already found a better e-bike brand? :D
I have found every cycling app on the app store to be superior to the specialized. The only advantage the specialized has is it has access to its own walled garden data. Of course, it doesn't have navigation or heart rate while doing that.

If they really want me to use a bike computer, they are free to include one in the box.

It does cycling fantastically. Built-in gps and heart rate monitor. I could use it *without the phone* and still get my health data. No ant+, no other contraption, it's already on my wrist. Go.
Use it on your rides. Do not record with Mission Control. It is not the fault of Specialized, though.

I have found every cycling app on the app store to be superior to the specialized.
What e-bikes do these app connect to?

The only advantage the specialized has is it has access to its own walled garden data.
Incorrect. All sports HR monitors that support ANT+ work with Specialized e-bikes. All bike GPS computers and sports smartwatches supporting ANT+ (also power/cadence pedals, digital derailleurs etc) work with Specialized e-bikes. It is Apple and its walled garden that does not work. (Still need to download music from iTunes?)

P.S. Did I mention Garmin Varia radar? It seamlessly works with Specialized e-bikes.

Last edited:
Use it on your rides. Do not record with Mission Control. It is not the fault of Specialized, though.

Which what e-bikes do these app connect?
All others I have tried support apple health, navigation and have better ux than the specialized apps. Komoot, RWGPS, Strava .... etc. They all support gathering data from the watch. They all have *some* form of navigation. They all have apple watch apps with varying level control of the apps. Even the cobi.bike app does (bosch, remember them? and they do connect to their bikes...). You know who doesn't? Specialized.

Specialized chose a walled garden. And then, in the ecosystems they have apps, they opted not to provide the feature set that basically every other app for cycling on the market has (true on android as well, as far as I know). And then, they didn't implement BT in a way that would allow many of those third party apps to read-in that bike data directly. Walled garden. About as walled as you can get.

Even the cobi.bike app does (bosch, remember them? and they do connect to their bikes...).
Does cobi.bike work with Apple Watch?

OK... go and buy a Bosch E-Bike with the Smartphone Hub. Before you do it, however, Search the Forum for "cobi.bike" with special focus on posts of RetiredNH :D

So are there many e-bikes that let Apple Watch connect to them? :D Because you meant apps not e-bikes.

Does cobi.bike work with Apple Watch?

OK... go and buy a Bosch E-Bike with the Smartphone Hub. Before you do it, however, Search the Forum for "cobi.bike" with special focus on posts of RetiredNH :D
Yes, yes it does. And you don't even need the "hub" for that to work. Amazing what happens when you tear down the walls.

It would be cheaper than this vado *and* not require another $500ish (could be more or less depending on the items selected) in inferior bike computers and accessories to actually use the data. And that, isn't something that is debatable. The specialized has a price premium that continues to get higher when you want to take advantage of its "best in class" connectivity. That is simple fact, whether you like and want that connectivity, or you don't. There is only one option to take advantage of it, the definition of a walled garden.

There are only two reasons I haven't returned this bike over this stupidity and bought something else.

1) my LBS is not a gazelle dealer ( I could potentially get a Niner which they do sell but doesn't really fit my need ). That is the only other bike I was considering.
2) I would lose weeks or months I would rather be riding ( and I already lost half the summer to defective bikes and specialized canceling my order/incompetency around that )

I wouldn't recommend people who want simple data experiences to buy this bike. Bikers that already use bike computers and... you know... like them? Sure. Knock yourself out. But I would never recommend this bike to the average rider if they actually want to use any of that data.

If they don't care about any of that, also, sure. Knock yourself out. The bike is great. Though, given my fit and comfort issues, I would definitely recommend biking around for a bit.

This advice would change if 1) they made BT data available or 2) made their apps reach the industry minimum for functionality.

Funny to think everybody's swapping Purion, Intuvia, Smartphone Hub or Kiox for the latest Nyon (which costs similarly to a bike GPS computer). The latter has no connectivity except of its own app (that supports Komoot only). You should read the forums related to different Bosch E-Bikes just to educate yourself and find out how silly things you are writing...

Funny to think everybody's swapping Purion, Intuvia, Smartphone Hub and Kiox for the latest Nyon (which costs similarly to a bike GPS computer). The latter has no connectivity except its own app (that supports Komoot only). You should read the forums related to different Bosch E-Bikes just to educate yourself and find out how silly things you are writing...
I haven’t used bosch. What I can say having not used it is their apps at least tried. Specialized didn’t.

Specialized *has* laid the groundwork for truly first class open data biking experience regardless of platform. But they haven’t flipped the switch yet. If they do, I will be a huge fan. They have everything they need to do so on their e-bikes.

Then on their regular bikes they could offer to sell you mini mastermind units that let you attach all that ant+ or BLE stuff and link it with anyones app (or bike computer or their own if they want to persist with that). Giving the rider the ability to pick all the things that work for them. (Fine with me if they keep this restricted to specialized bikes as a competitive advantage)

That is what being Rider focused means. Choices, support, actual class leading and open connectivity supporting any and all platforms.

And I will absolutely pick a true walled garden that works over a frightening restrictive mess. Apple is an example of a walled garden that genuinely works. I don’t do android because they have similar ridiculous walled off openness (like specialized). Note: android has gotten better over the years. Not starting that debate.

I hope specialized is moving in that direction.

Will this product do it for you, @dynamic? It may not be the perfect solution you’re looking for, but I’d say it’s worth looking at.

The manufacturer has no stock, but it appears they’re available here;

Will this product do it for you, @dynamic? It may not be the perfect solution you’re looking for, but I’d say it’s worth looking at.

The manufacturer has no stock, but it appears they’re available here;
Yes, that's one of the two devices that should solve this. I am hesitant to order from random stores. It's also the wrong price. That is a very strange site.

But, if I find one I can actually order, I would likely do it.

Yes, that's one of the two devices that should solve this. I am hesitant to order from random stores. It's also the wrong price. That is a very strange site.

But, if I find one I can actually order, I would likely do it.

Sorry, I didn’t pay attention to the details aside from the availability. I agree, if you were to order from that site, you’d likely get burned. Oops!!

Hopefully the mfr will get them back in stock.

Or you can buy a Wahoo or Garmin device. Come on, you know you want to! 🙂

Back