Evelo Luna vs. Blix Komfort+

Bill Mitchell

My wife and I are both 67 and will be riding in the semi-bike-friendly environs of Boston and Brookline. Some local hills present challenges for our bad knees, thus our interest in ebikes as opposed to the 15 year-old city bikes we're riding now. Considering Evelo Luna (http://www.evelo.com/electric-bicycles/luna/) and the Blix Komfort+ ((Link Removed - No Longer Exists)). We're newbies, so welcome any and all counsel you can provide. Thanks!

My wife and I are both 67 and will be riding in the semi-bike-friendly environs of Boston and Brookline. Some local hills present challenges for our bad knees, thus our interest in ebikes as opposed to the 15 year-old city bikes we're riding now. Considering Evelo Luna (http://www.evelo.com/electric-bicycles/luna/) and the Blix Komfort+ ((Link Removed - No Longer Exists)). We're newbies, so welcome any and all counsel you can provide. Thanks!
I am from Wayland and bought an Aries last June. I ride between 50 and 100 miles a week. I took time getting used to the Nuvinci transmission but like it now (I think). I seem to not change gears very often however. I am not loving the disk brakes as they have needed adjustment three times already and I have just under 500 miles on the bike. I am not mechanically inclined and so these adjustments are a real pain. I am 60 and find a great health benefit to riding the ebikes. This is my second. Just thought that I would say hello.

Thanks, James. Our purchase is on hold for a bit but may be back to you before we buy. Will look at the Aires in the meantime.

I have no experience with the Luna, but I have been riding my Evelo Aurora with the Nuvinci 360 for two years, and after 1900 miles, have not experienced any of the issues mentioned above. The 250w motor is slightly underpowered for steep hills and I would recommend the 500w option. Other than that, I have found the bike to be well-made and very comfortable to ride. It also has a step-thru frame like the Luna. They offer the Aurora in two sizes. The Aries is basically the same bike without the step-thru frame.

I have found the company to be very responsive. They will send you parts under warranty if you are able to do the repair. If not, they will arrange for a LBS to handle the repair at no charge to you.

I have no experience with the Luna, but I have been riding my Evelo Aurora with the Nuvinci 360 for two years, and after 1900 miles, have not experienced any of the issues mentioned above. The 250w motor is slightly underpowered for steep hills and I would recommend the 500w option. Other than that, I have found the bike to be well-made and very comfortable to ride. It also has a step-thru frame like the Luna. They offer the Aurora in two sizes. The Aries is basically the same bike without the step-thru frame.

I have found the company to be very responsive. They will send you parts under warranty if you are able to do the repair. If not, they will arrange for a LBS to handle the repair at no charge to you.
Good that you have had a decent experience. I own 10 Evelo's, including the Luna's, Aurora's (both 250 and 500 watt), and Aries. The best test of reliability, and maintenance, is to put them in a rental fleet. Done that for 2 seasons now, and as well have other brands to compare. They are just really heavy e-bikes, with rather mediocre components, and rather old style metal frames that have been around in Asia for a number of years. These same Aurora's (Evelo's) are sold under the Aseako brand, and can be bought for $1400 (USD) new in other countries. So for what you are getting, there are just a lot better other brands for less money, more reliable, better and newer frame styles, much lighter yet with better structural rigidity, and components that don't wear down or are as fragile as those found on the Evelo's. In other brands like Blix more of the money is actually going into the design, and more reliable components, better quality batteries, better battery management controls, LCD's, etc. than into marketing, overhead, G&A, distribution and profit. If I just bought a single one of these, and just had that to compare to, I'd likely too want to defend my purchase and expense. But since I have owned several brands, and ridden more than 40 different brands/models, and seen first hand what it takes to keep these maintained in regular every day use, it puts my experience in a more objective position. Evelo is really just a marketing and distribution arm, not a true designer or engineer of the ebikes. They choose what is available from a contract manufacturer, maybe spec out a few certain components they want on the ebike, and then bring them here to the US to distribute direct on line. Nothing wrong with that, but just realize that its a lot to pay for a rather mediocre and old and heavy ebike design versus other true e-bike designers that have an engineering team, R&D, and are continually investing in better product. There are other firms that have that same/similar distribution model as Evelo, such as M2S, Shocke, and even Magnum, as you can find their same designs from a number of contract manufacturers in Asia (just look on Alibaba.com). They often start out as Kickstarter, or Indiegogo, to raise money for an ebike thats already an older design on the Asian market, claiming new development, when in reality its just white labeled standard product. That up front money allows them to then buy the Minimum Order Quantity these contract manufacturers want up front, before they begin sourcing and assembly. So not a really 'new design' of an ebike, but rather a marketing pitch, where individuals become sort of their VC funder. Reduces their capital risk, and they can shut down or go out of business at any time, re-appearing under a new company name. Hopefully Evelo will succeed and stay in business.

Bill, this is some odd choice to compare. Other than step-through frame, Evelo Luna and Blix appear to be very different bikes.
250W for hilly terrain will be a pain. Especially when US bylaws allow +500W.

I tend to agree with Mike - other than NuVinci transmission, there isn't much to justify $2,500 price for Evelo in basic configuration. You can get similar assemblies for under $1,500 if you're OK without NuVinci :).
Check Upzy online store: https://www.upzy.com/collections/rigid-frame-electric-bikes/1000-2000+x-treme-scooters

What's wrong with Evelo is price. For $2,000-2,500 one can do better than that. Quite a few step-through cruisers out there.

Blix Komfort is a cross-over between cruiser and commuter, skinn-er tires, no suspension.
Biktrix Stunner with 500W mid-drive and IGH "transmission" looks nice, though it's Canadian, online only (or ship to dealer if there any in NY).
EG Maui with 500W hub drive doesn't look bad too, don't know what shop owners would have to say about it ;)

Last edited:
Sorry you have had such a bad experience with Evelo Mike. I have to say, I have had none if the issues you mentioned, and my bike is two years old. :confused:

Good that you have had a decent experience. I own 10 Evelo's, including the Luna's, Aurora's (both 250 and 500 watt), and Aries. The best test of reliability, and maintenance, is to put them in a rental fleet. Done that for 2 seasons now, and as well have other brands to compare. They are just really heavy e-bikes, with rather mediocre components, and rather old style metal frames that have been around in Asia for a number of years. These same Aurora's (Evelo's) are sold under the Aseako brand, and can be bought for $1400 (USD) new in other countries. So for what you are getting, there are just a lot better other brands for less money, more reliable, better and newer frame styles, much lighter yet with better structural rigidity, and components that don't wear down or are as fragile as those found on the Evelo's. In other brands like Blix more of the money is actually going into the design, and more reliable components, better quality batteries, better battery management controls, LCD's, etc. than into marketing, overhead, G&A, distribution and profit. If I just bought a single one of these, and just had that to compare to, I'd likely too want to defend my purchase and expense. But since I have owned several brands, and ridden more than 40 different brands/models, and seen first hand what it takes to keep these maintained in regular every day use, it puts my experience in a more objective position. Evelo is really just a marketing and distribution arm, not a true designer or engineer of the ebikes. They choose what is available from a contract manufacturer, maybe spec out a few certain components they want on the ebike, and then bring them here to the US to distribute direct on line. Nothing wrong with that, but just realize that its a lot to pay for a rather mediocre and old and heavy ebike design versus other true e-bike designers that have an engineering team, R&D, and are continually investing in better product. There are other firms that have that same/similar distribution model as Evelo, such as M2S, Shocke, and even Magnum, as you can find their same designs from a number of contract manufacturers in Asia (just look on Alibaba.com). They often start out as Kickstarter, or Indiegogo, to raise money for an ebike thats already an older design on the Asian market, claiming new development, when in reality its just white labeled standard product. That up front money allows them to then buy the Minimum Order Quantity these contract manufacturers want up front, before they begin sourcing and assembly. So not a really 'new design' of an ebike, but rather a marketing pitch, where individuals become sort of their VC funder. Reduces their capital risk, and they can shut down or go out of business at any time, re-appearing under a new company name. Hopefully Evelo will succeed and stay in business.[/QUOTE

Hi Mike
I am a tour operator located up in the Mendocino coast of California. I have decided to offer a bike rental service up here and leaning towards offering a couple of EBikes also. The terrain is mixed between smooth in town road to relatively level and well maintained dirt roads. Also we are by the ocean if that has any bearing. Do you have any suggestions on a very reliable, comfortable medium priced ebike ($2000 max) that I should look at. Possibly something you have experience with. Thanks

Back