Evelo Aurora 750W

Jerry LM

Hi out there is anyone riding a loaded Evelo Aurora? sure would like your opinion of the bike if so, I am getting ready to purchase one and other than the review on line I have not seen anything by an actual owner. Anyone???? Jerry

Hi out there is anyone riding a loaded Evelo Aurora? sure would like your opinion of the bike if so, I am getting ready to purchase one and other than the review on line I have not seen anything by an actual owner. Anyone???? Jerry

Wife has one and really likes it.

About my only complaint when riding is it has cadence sensor that has a bit of delay (half second?) - just something to get used to I guess (I'm used to torque sensors). Very easy to ride. Upright, comfortable sitting position with swept-back grips. Seems well-built and thought-out. NuVinci Harmony is a nice feature - just select your cadence and forget it. Has the power to climb steep hills and will do 25mph on flats. Good looking bike. Good warranty.

One thing when first assembling bike was front brake cable wasn't routed properly and I had to gingerly re-route by unscrewing the clamps - I put a slight tweak in the tube, but works fine. About a 5 minute fix once I realized what the problem was. Other than that, the bike was very well packed in its box and no damage at all.

Lights are integrated and rear brakelight lights up when rear brake lever is used - nice feature. Hydraulic brakes work well. NuVinci takes a few minutes to get used to (vs traditional shifters), but it soon becomes second-nature. Should be very low maintenance without cables that stretch and derailleurs getting out of adjustment.

If you want upright, low entry cruiser, hard to go wrong. Well worth the "Fully Loaded" version with bigger motor/battery and hyd brakes.

I’m very interested in this bike too. I won’t be buying until early next year, by which time James Beck says Evelo may be outfitting the loaded Aurora with a Gates belt drive, making it even more attractive to me. Plus, I find that my local e-bike shop recently cut an agreement to service Evelos; so the moons are aligning nicely. My area is very hilly and the Aurora looks like the best for my needs.

I’m very interested in this bike too. I won’t be buying until early next year, by which time James Beck says Evelo may be outfitting the loaded Aurora with a Gates belt drive, making it even more attractive to me. Plus, I find that my local e-bike shop recently cut an agreement to service Evelos; so the moons are aligning nicely. My area is very hilly and the Aurora looks like the best for my needs.
The bike is fairly quiet even with the chain. I don't notice it over tire noise. I think they said it would cost a few hundred more for Gates belt/chainring. Honestly, not sure it would be a significant improvement.

If Trump doesn't pull his head out, my understanding is tariffs will jump up to 25% next year, so something to consider.

Thanks for the feedback. I should add that James B. also said that Evelo is switching its product fabrication from mainland China over to Taiwan, which I believe removes tariffs from the equation. And the differential upcharge to a Gates drive is not a deal killer for me -- its substantially longer life and freedom from the need for lubrication justify the tradeoff, in my opinion. But, again, thanks very much for the heads up. I appreciate your observations.

Well as of now I am the owner of a 750W loaded Aurora from Evelo and I could not be happier!!!!!! This bike is mega power on steroids, I was riding the Galaxy at 350W and a NuVinci 380 and it was good power and torque sensor with throttle after 6 mph, NO Contest, this bike outperforms it in every way.
The bike has the new electronic NuVinci Ultimate trans and throttle from standstill, which is great for red lights, takes off right now with no pedal assist at all. I know you don't always need 95 nm of torque but let me say a hill,,,what hill? this bike climbs them so easy. I have the black on black and it's a sharp looking bike, the built in brake light is bright and the headlight is auto on when the light dims, really nice feature.
The battery disconnects from the side and is very easy to take off and on , couple of seconds and has a spring loaded key lock.
I plan on getting bags for the rear and a trunk bag in the near future. Don't know about range yet as I have not ridden far enough to discharge the battery much, and pas 2 is the most I have used, in level 1 with mild pedal assist I was up to 12 mph in an instant, tried the throttle for a short while in 2 and was a bit fast for me, being new to this. As time goes and I get used to the bike more I will try more power. Though I don't think I will need it very often. The only noise I can hear on the road is wind, and tires on the asphalt, even though more power than the Galaxy I had it is quieter. The frame is super stout and I noticed No frame flex of any kind , one of my original concerns with step thrus, it's a non issue on this bike. jerry

Congratulations. I'll be joining you as a fellow owner in about 4 months. My neighborhood is very hilly, so you're confirming my expectations about the Aurora. All the best with your new bike, and thanks for sharing your perceptions. Have fun!

Well as of now I am the owner of a 750W loaded Aurora from Evelo and I could not be happier!!!!!! This bike is mega power on steroids, I was riding the Galaxy at 350W and a NuVinci 380 and it was good power and torque sensor with throttle after 6 mph, NO Contest, this bike outperforms it in every way.
The bike has the new electronic NuVinci Ultimate trans and throttle from standstill, which is great for red lights, takes off right now with no pedal assist at all. I know you don't always need 95 nm of torque but let me say a hill,,,what hill? this bike climbs them so easy. I have the black on black and it's a sharp looking bike, the built in brake light is bright and the headlight is auto on when the light dims, really nice feature.
The battery disconnects from the side and is very easy to take off and on , couple of seconds and has a spring loaded key lock.
I plan on getting bags for the rear and a trunk bag in the near future. Don't know about range yet as I have not ridden far enough to discharge the battery much, and pas 2 is the most I have used, in level 1 with mild pedal assist I was up to 12 mph in an instant, tried the throttle for a short while in 2 and was a bit fast for me, being new to this. As time goes and I get used to the bike more I will try more power. Though I don't think I will need it very often. The only noise I can hear on the road is wind, and tires on the asphalt, even though more power than the Galaxy I had it is quieter. The frame is super stout and I noticed No frame flex of any kind , one of my original concerns with step thrus, it's a non issue on this bike. jerry

Ah, thought you'd like it. It's a stoutly built frame - add that 750w motor and NuVinci Harmony electronic shifting, and it's a sweetheart of a ride.

I'm glad you are enjoying the Aurora. Nice to know the frame flex problem has been resolved although it isn't terrible on mine. I would love to have that 750w motor for hills though. Maybe next year I'll upgrade, but would rather try to find a full-featured bike under 40 lbs.. Best of luck with your new bike, Jerry.

Thanks guys, I think maybe next year or so they may even upgrade the Aurora to the belt drive, don't know for a fact but seems a logical expectation. Mine has the chain which by the way is SS so not a cheap option, but with 95 nm of torque and up to 110 max maybe they thought the belt would be taxed a bit. don't know but the chain is totally quiet and eliminates the frame needing a pull out section, so I am good with it. Got the instructions for removing the rear wheel and it's not really a big deal on this bike.
I really like the readout on the display easy to see in any light, thought the headlight wasn't working at first till I pulled in the garage and it came on by itself. nice to have that feature, also can run it manually off the controller. The brake lights are pretty bright, and I intend to add a couple of LED flashers to the rear as well. Looks like with the USB charging port it would be an easy mod to add lights off the battery pack. Also with the USB under the controller gives me power to the handlebars for more lights.
Nice to buy something and find it has more than you thought it would. Until last night I didn't realize it has the new Ultimate NuVinci rear hub I thought it would have the 380 like my Galaxy, works so darn smooth you forget about it. Moving the shifter in manual is so easy it requires only a thumb and finger with absolutely no strain to move, even on a hill. I changed the seat out to a Infinity which I really like as well, solved issues I was having in the seat area. So I am really liking this bike, figures that today looks like rain here on the coast and I don't know if I will get to ride, should have gotten this bike in the beginning of summer and camping season, but I procrastinated to long.
I am also very glad I decided on Evelo, these guys go Way over what is normal service, and fast to reply to the couple of things I needed. Just can't say enough about this company, they are above reproach, IMO.........Jerry

Might mention the old Aurora's are not the same frame as the new, this thing is built like a tank, and heavy, but when riding you don't even know it. I have noticed no flex or vibration of any kind on this new bike.

That's good info about the frame. With the Harmony transmission, you set the pedal cadence you want and it is supposed to maintain that cadence up and down hills. Have you found that to be true, especially uphill?

That's good info about the frame. With the Harmony transmission, you set the pedal cadence you want and it is supposed to maintain that cadence up and down hills. Have you found that to be true, especially uphill?
I have not tried that as yet, been using the manual more than auto, may get out today if it clears up will try it.

A brief update on the Aurora. I learned earlier today from Dave Goeppner at Evelo that the next batch of Auroras, scheduled to arrive in March of 2019, will indeed have been fabricated in and shipped from Taiwan (tariff-free). This batch, however, will be built to same spec as the current new Aurora (Fall 2018). The company will offer a Gates Carbon-equipped Aurora, but not until Fall of next year, and that model will be equipped with a 500W motor. Apparently, the 750W motor "is too large for the correct chain-line required for the belt". Good to know.

I will be opting for the fully loaded 750W Spring 2019 model and I'm sure, as suggested by MisterM a month ago, that the chain will work out just fine for me.

A brief update on the Aurora. I learned earlier today from Dave Goeppner at Evelo that the next batch of Auroras, scheduled to arrive in March of 2019, will indeed have been fabricated in and shipped from Taiwan (tariff-free). This batch, however, will be built to same spec as the current new Aurora (Fall 2018). The company will offer a Gates Carbon-equipped Aurora, but not until Fall of next year, and that model will be equipped with a 500W motor. Apparently, the 750W motor "is too large for the correct chain-line required for the belt". Good to know.

I will be opting for the fully loaded 750W Spring 2019 model and I'm sure, as suggested by MisterM a month ago, that the chain will work out just fine for me.

Interesting to see they will be shipping from Taiwan. I'm sure Taiwan is loving all the new biz going their way.

Now it makes sense why they used a chain on the 750w Bafang mid drive. I'd much rather have the bigger motor - the chain is no big deal - a quick link makes it a lot easier to deal with in case of a flat.

I agree on both points. Looks like Taiwan is getting a good deal of transferred business (which will be great for them as long as China maintains a hands-off posture), and I'd rather have the bigger motor too. And I watched a video on adjusting the tension on a Gates belt -- looks a bit finicky to me.

Chain runs quiet on mine and the torque is awesome, love the full time throttle. I can’t imagine anyone needing more power than this bike delivers. It gets up to 25 mph fast, and I am not a experienced rider. Just tried it out briefly, that’s a bit fast for me.

Chain runs quiet on mine and the torque is awesome, love the full time throttle. I can’t imagine anyone needing more power than this bike delivers. It gets up to 25 mph fast, and I am not a experienced rider. Just tried it out briefly, that’s a bit fast for me.
Thanks for the input. What do you think so far about the NuVinci Harmony transmission?

Well I have the electronic shifting version and it takes no pressure to shift even on a hill. I really like it I ride it sometimes without power and it still is quite easy to pedal. No gears to adjust I don’t really notice it, it just works!

Back