€30,000 fine for ebike tuning in France

An interesting article:

I think the legislation will be first targeted against the makers of the de-restriction devices and against the Chinese imports. A cyclist would be punished if he/she were found guilty of a severe collision with de-restricted e-bike.

An interesting article:

I think the legislation will be first targeted against the makers of the de-restriction devices and against the Chinese imports. A cyclist would be punished if he/she were found guilty of a severe collision with de-restricted e-bike.
I guess that is a little more rational. The EU has been hard on ebike imports from China. The ones that don't adhere to the law.

that is good but for some light and strong riders , the pedelec can go up to 30-31mph . or 33mph with wind.
Are you suppose to apply the brakes @45kmh ??

that is good but for some light and strong riders , the pedelec can go up to 30-31mph . or 33mph with wind.
Two different laws. If the ebike is legal and you're riding faster than posted speed, you get a speeding ticket. If you're riding above the posted speed on a tuned ebike, you get a speeding ticket and...? Often outlandish laws never get charged. Time will tell.

This is not about how fast you ride but whether the e-bike was tampered with or not.

Now that the UK has left the EU I hope they change the law and up the motor cutoff limit to 32kph.
Not so sure. The UK is a nanny state. The speed limit there was 15 mph (unlike 15.5 mph in the rest of Europe), and you have to wear a motorcycle helmet with a S-Pedelec in the UK (a cycle helmet required elsewhere).

Officer, is this negotiable if it goes to collections, or can I just work it off in the soup kitchen for charity? AAARRRRGGGHHHH!

Back