Espin sport wont run now??

Johnu510

Hey everyone.i have had my bike for exactly a year now and everything has been great. Today i get on to go to work and push the throttle it went for like a split second then died? Its fully charged and I pushed the button on the battery and it blinks blue. I think i hear like a minor click when I press the throttle down. This sucks. I emailed espin but since I know this place i wanted to ask here. Anyone ever have this happen?

It hasn't happened to me, but if it did, I would be checking connections. Unplugging them, inspecting them closely for any signs of corrosion (any green or black inside those connections is a no-no), then re-seating them carefully (line the arrows up carefully so as not to break/bend any of those tiny pins).

No fault codes? Blow a fuse on the battery pack? Use you multi meter and find out where the current "ain't"

It hasn't happened to me, but if it did, I would be checking connections. Unplugging them, inspecting them closely for any signs of corrosion (any green or black inside those connections is a no-no), then re-seating them carefully (line the arrows up carefully so as not to break/bend any of those tiny pins).
On the sport? I don't see that stuff on the frame the battery goes into

And rich c how would i find fault codes?

Thanks for replies just little confused. Im not retarded i work on cars for a living but maybe not the best with these electric bikes

John, you may have to do some digging, but I'm pretty sure any serious attempt to find the connectors will be successful. That would include the ones at the battery. Those contacts easily seen by removing the battery.

Your display is powering up? What happens when you try using the throttle? Does it stay lit?

There are wires leading from both brake handles that shut power to the motor off when either brake lever is pulled. One of those switches may have gone bad. Easy way to check is by unplugging both of them, then trying to see if the throttle works then.

John, you may have to do some digging, but I'm pretty sure any serious attempt to find the connectors will be successful. That would include the ones at the battery. Those contacts easily seen by removing the battery.

Your display is powering up? What happens when you try using the throttle? Does it stay lit?

There are wires leading from both brake handles that shut power to the motor off when either brake lever is pulled. One of those switches may have gone bad. Easy way to check is by unplugging both of them, then trying to see if the throttle works then.
Hey I really appreciare you trying help me. Yes the display powers up and throttle pushes down but just doesnt work. I am going to look for those wires now. I cleaned all stuff that was open and could be cleaned on the inside where the battery goes.

When you apply the throttle, does anything happen/change on the display?
Have you tried pushing in and holding the "down" button to engage "walk" mode?
Have you tried pedaling the bike for a few feet to see if the PAS system is working?

When you apply the throttle, does anything happen/change on the display?
Have you tried pushing in and holding the "down" button to engage "walk" mode?
Have you tried pedaling the bike for a few feet to see if the PAS system is working?
unfortunately I have tries to pedal with the pas and it wont kick on. When I push the throttle down nothing happens just pushes down. Feels weird actually now to me since im used to something moving when push down throttle. I tried to include pic of when I turn it on and then for a second the symbol that looks like an engine stays on? But only for a second? I tried to attach pics. Its kind of hard to see but on the right side under the {!} symbol but again it doesn't stay on it goes away as well.

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 20211014_132355_HDR.jpg
    20211014_132355_HDR.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 229
Have you tried disconnecting the brake wires yet?

Have you tried disconnecting the brake wires yet?

espin said its the replacement controller. My bike is a month out of warranty so its 75 bucks but they are sending me a new one and hopefully I dont have trouble installing it. He made it seem like its not that hard. Have you ever done something like that ? Either way I appreciate your time and stuff trying to help me thats awesome

It's not hard to change. Maybe an hour. There's a small plate that holds the bottom of the battery in place. 3 Screws secure it. When they're remove the little plate comes out exposing the controller and a wad of wiring packed in around it. All plug and play. Suggest you put pencil marks on the alum. just ahead of this plastic plate prior to removing it. That will let you position the plate exactly where it needs to go when replacing it, lining up the screw holes to minimize any messing around getting them aligned (been there!).

I hope he's basing his suggestion on a known issue he's seeing. I hate seeing people just throwing parts at an issue without sufficient prior troubleshooting. -Al

Oh wow after reading that I hope I can do it. And the LCD was showing a 04e and he said that was a error code for that specific part. He said since the battery was blue when pushed and the lcd started up it was not the actual battery..so I am hoping as well. I just paid for the part for hopefully early next week I can get this back running. Your awesome man

Oh wow after reading that I hope I can do it. And the LCD was showing a 04e and he said that was a error code for that specific part. He said since the battery was blue when pushed and the lcd started up it was not the actual battery..so I am hoping as well. I just paid for the part for hopefully early next week I can get this back running. Your awesome man
The owners manual says 04E is an empty battery. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1926404/Espin-Sport.html?page=16

Hmm. I talked to the guy from espin for good amount of time and we went over all stuff he thought it could be. IDK why it reads 04e when the bettery isnt empty ..it shows full charge, lights green on charger,. Maybe that was the next thing after ruling that out? Also something said about how the bike ran for like a split second for dieing today so he thinks something in there got burnt out. Thanks for link rich

I plan on riding my bike the next week just with no battery in it..should be ok right? Common sense dont get caught in the rain etc..but anything I should know ?

Last edited:
I know I'm a little late on this plus it won't solve your problem but the same thing you experienced has happened to me a few times. Fortunately by turning the display off and back on again everything goes back to normal. FYI all connections have been checked.

I know I'm a little late on this plus it won't solve your problem but the same thing you experienced has happened to me a few times. Fortunately by turning the display off and back on again everything goes back to normal. FYI all connections have been checked.
You may have something else going on, but that issue is nearly always due to running the battery down too far. The ability to restore power by turning it off then on is designed to get you home using very low power settings rather than leaving you totally stranded.

You may have something else going on, but that issue is nearly always due to running the battery down too far. The ability to restore power by turning it off then on is designed to get you home using very low power settings rather than leaving you totally stranded.
No, it has happened with the battery still in the blue or green and once I restart it is good for weeks. Actually what happens is the throttle will just drop to aprox 5mph max and the PAS (which I only use on 1 or 2) although I have it set for 9 feels like 0.
I have never seen an error code pop up.

The controller should be here tomorrow so wish me luck. It still has like an engine symbol flash real quick when I start it up...soo annoying

Back