Espin Nero or Lectric XP

Ridin222

Ok, I am just looking for opinions on these particular two fat tire bikes. I understand one has 20" tires and is foldable (Lectric XP) where the other has 24" tires and isn't foldable (Espin Nero). But based on all the specs (links below) and just personal preference, which would you choose?

I feel they are both decent bikes for about $1,000 and am tempted to buy one or the other. I am still waiting for my Ride1Up 700 ST to be delivered (it's been pushed back from 9/15 to 10/2-10/9), which will be my daily go-to. But I originally and still really want a fat tire bike for the fun of it and a different style of ride maybe, so I am thinking it would be smart (or not?) to make that purchase now while I can/while the bikes are still relatively cheap.

I have been leaning more toward the Lectric XP as I like the foldable aspect for travel purposes, plus there is a ton of reviews and videos of the bike which has been great to have. There is nothing out there on the Espin Nero yet as it hasn't been released. I do like the 24" tires and overall style of the Espin Nero though. It reminds me of the Rad Rover 5 step thru, a bike I nearly bought. But learning that looks aren't what it's all about, I am now debating on which to possibly choose based on specs and would like some input from others.

Espin Nero: https://www.espinbikes.com/products/nero
Lectric XP: https://lectricebikes.com/collections/ebikes/products/copy-of-lectric-xp-in-stock

If I should have placed this post in the Espin or Lectric forums, please let me know.

After a month long of reading reviews and you tube videos, I decided on Lectric XP. Glad I did, the ride is great, mod friendly and the customer service is rated high. When my bike was delivered, I found a small dent on the fork due to delivery handling. I emailed customer service and right away they sent me a replacement fork within 72 hours. I never really needed it but nevertheless, they try to take care of you. ANd it looks grea with the fat tire. Gets compliments all the time.

After a month long of reading reviews and you tube videos, I decided on Lectric XP. Glad I did, the ride is great, mod friendly and the customer service is rated high. When my bike was delivered, I found a small dent on the fork due to delivery handling. I emailed customer service and right away they sent me a replacement fork within 72 hours. I never really needed it but nevertheless, they try to take care of you. ANd it looks grea with the fat tire. Gets compliments all the time.
Thanks, appreciate the reply and input. Did you get the standard or step-thru? How does it do on hills, speed, acceleration, comfort? Also, what other fat tire and/or foldable bikes were you reviewing before choosing XP?

Thanks, appreciate the reply and input. Did you get the standard or step-thru? How does it do on hills, speed, acceleration, comfort? Also, what other fat tire and/or foldable bikes were you reviewing before choosing XP?

I was looking at the Rattan bikes, CSC, Aventon Synch. All great looking bikes. The thing that caught my attention is the enthusiams of the Lectric's owners. They are genuinely happy and satisfied with the bike. I like that a lot. Acceleration is good. torque is plentiful. I pull my kid's 2 seater WeeHoo bike trailer with this bike no problem. kid's are 5 and 3 and they have a blast. We go offroading with it. I still haven't modify it to class 3 to really feel its full potential.

I was looking at the Rattan bikes, CSC, Aventon Synch. All great looking bikes. The thing that caught my attention is the enthusiams of the Lectric's owners. They are genuinely happy and satisfied with the bike. I like that a lot. Acceleration is good. torque is plentiful. I pull my kid's 2 seater WeeHoo bike trailer with this bike no problem. kid's are 5 and 3 and they have a blast. We go offroading with it. I still haven't modify it to class 3 to really feel its full potential.
Awesome! Thank you. Your kids must love it. =) I really like the Espin Nero and the company seems good. But yea, I see and read about sooooo many Lectric XP owners being super happy and even the cool mods some have achieved, plus the fact the bike is smaller/foldable for travel is a plus and it's only $900. It seems like the deal of 2020.

Ok, I am just looking for opinions on these particular two fat tire bikes. I understand one has 20" tires and is foldable (Lectric XP) where the other has 24" tires and isn't foldable (Espin Nero). But based on all the specs (links below) and just personal preference, which would you choose?

I feel they are both decent bikes for about $1,000 and am tempted to buy one or the other. I am still waiting for my Ride1Up 700 ST to be delivered (it's been pushed back from 9/15 to 10/2-10/9), which will be my daily go-to. But I originally and still really want a fat tire bike for the fun of it and a different style of ride maybe, so I am thinking it would be smart (or not?) to make that purchase now while I can/while the bikes are still relatively cheap.

I have been leaning more toward the Lectric XP as I like the foldable aspect for travel purposes, plus there is a ton of reviews and videos of the bike which has been great to have. There is nothing out there on the Espin Nero yet as it hasn't been released. I do like the 24" tires and overall style of the Espin Nero though. It reminds me of the Rad Rover 5 step thru, a bike I nearly bought. But learning that looks aren't what it's all about, I am now debating on which to possibly choose based on specs and would like some input from others.

Espin Nero: https://www.espinbikes.com/products/nero
Lectric XP: https://lectricebikes.com/collections/ebikes/products/copy-of-lectric-xp-in-stock

If I should have placed this post in the Espin or Lectric forums, please let me know.

I have the XP and the Sport. If I had a choice between the XP and the Nero at roughly the same price, I would choose the Nero based on the front suspension and the fact that for me, the folding aspect of the XP is not that important and also a bit of a PITA to pull off. I also base that on the difference in ride quality between the Sport and the XP. The Sport glides over bumps and uneven pavement and you feel every bump with the XP. The XP would be a great around the RV park, quick jaunts to the store, etc.

Agree with Taylor57. Espin makes good quality bikes. Bigger tires and suspension fork on Nero will be more comfortable and with better battery you will have more range. I have an Espin Sport also and it is a good quality solid bike. Espins have not had the quality issues R1UP bikes have had. Actually we have ordered both an Espin Nero for my husband and an Lectric xp step thru for my daughter. I anticipate the Nero will be a higher quality bike. Us older people need a more cushy ride. . My daughter wanted the Lectric xp to go back and forth to work, less than 3 miles. It will be enough for her use. Also, I thought she might be too short (5'4") for the Nero. She is definitely too short for the Sport.

Depends on your needs and if you need to store it in small places ultimately...

I really love the XP because if I got into a bad situation I can call someone or even an uber because the bike can fold and fit in trunks, I am not sure what I would do with a full sized if that were to happen. Also storing it at my girlfriends apartment is a much better deal for her as it takes up much less space.

Agree with Taylor57. Espin makes good quality bikes. Bigger tires and suspension fork on Nero will be more comfortable and with better battery you will have more range. I have an Espin Sport also and it is a good quality solid bike. Espins have not had the quality issues R1UP bikes have had. Actually we have ordered both an Espin Nero for my husband and an Lectric xp step thru for my daughter. I anticipate the Nero will be a higher quality bike. Us older people need a more cushy ride. . My daughter wanted the Lectric xp to go back and forth to work, less than 3 miles. It will be enough for her use. Also, I thought she might be too short (5'4") for the Nero. She is definitely too short for the Sport.
Hi again. Yea, I recall on the Nero thread, you mentioned you have a Ride1Up 500 (I think), an Espin Sport, an Espin Nero on the way and a Lectric XP. That's a great collection! I was so close to getting an Espin Sport over the Ride1Up 700. With so many things (issues) I've been hearing about the 700's lately, I am now worried I, too, may have issues with mine when it arrives (October) and wonder if I should have bought an Espin afterall. We shall see. Like your daughter, I am on the shorter to average size of 5'4" / 28" inseam. So I dunno if the Espin Sport would have fit me well, or if the Nero will. I'm still debating all this.

Depends on your needs and if you need to store it in small places ultimately...

I really love the XP because if I got into a bad situation I can call someone or even an uber because the bike can fold and fit in trunks, I am not sure what I would do with a full sized if that were to happen. Also storing it at my girlfriends apartment is a much better deal for her as it takes up much less space.
Great point about being able to put the XP in to an uber if you became stuck. I do like the foldable aspect of the bike.

I ordered the Nero with the 'premium' package. The intro price with extra equipment seemed worth it. However, it is a new model, with a different motor than the other Espin bikes. Time will tell if it was a good decision.

I have not, guessing late October.....That is how I interpret 'October' delivery. I think the previous monthly delivery estimates for other Espin models were delivered at the end of the month. Hope I am wrong and it comes earlier :)

Here is the thread about the Espin Sport August Deliveries.....

Yes. We ordered a Nero also. The October deliveries will be the first Neros delivered. I do not mind waiting for them to double check bikes.

Nero delivery delayed about two weeks. Not surprising. My other bikes same thing. We should get delivery early November. Scheduled to arrive in Port by end of October and then some time to clear customs and ship. Will let you know when we get ours.

We received our Nero. Assembled it today. Nice bike. Big. Tires are 26 x 4". Big tires but riders of various sizes can ride it. Step thru and approachable. Frame is thick but same 17 size as my Espin Sport. Seems to share same seat, handlebars and pedals with the Espin Sport. Front suspension fork looks bigger and beefier, the display is color and easy to read. The shifting is similar, 8 speeds, but this is not Shimano like my Sport. Compared to our Lectric XP the Nero is bigger due to bigger tires. Frame is very beefy. Nero seems better quality. Larger stonger motor 750/1000 watt with Nero and bigger battery on the Nero. The Nero, on sale, was $100 more for base and $200 more with our premium package including front and rear rack, phone holder and panier bag, than the Lectric xp. The Nero panier bag is heavy duty and converts to a backpack. Compared to Lectric XP the Nero is more comfortable with bigger tires and suspension fork. Looks like it could take on any terrain. Expect Nero to be faster and more powerful due to Nero's more powerful motor and greater torque.

Back