Espin Flow pedal assist power levels

The bike comes perfectly programmed as far as early PAS levels are concerned. If you are having trouble with PAS 1, you need to seriously consider an analog beach cruiser or trike...

The bike comes perfectly programmed as far as early PAS levels are concerned. If you are having trouble with PAS 1, you need to seriously consider an analog beach cruiser or trike...
Or get a Ride1Up. Those can be programmed for a specific power percentage for each assist level to set it with just the amount of power you prefer at each assist level. That's what first got me interested in their bikes and was such a turn-off for Espin and Aventon, that people often compare them to.

Edit: Looks like someone else already mentioned the Ride1Up customization of power levels.

The rep I've been emailing with told me today the levels are not adjustable, and PAS 1 goes to 7-8 mph.
That sounds pretty slow for level 1 which is a good thing. For example the Lectric xp goes about 10-11 mph in level PAS 1.
Is that with ghost pedaling or are you actually pedaling with some intensity to get some exercise?

Does Espin assist to a specific speed rather than using power based assist like Ride1Up?

I have 2 Espins Sports and when I am in PAS 1, the bike is very manageable and smooth-regardless of what gear you have selected. You do realize that you can downshift into PAS 0 and just pedal a 55 pound bike? Am I missing something here? ( I usually am ;) )

I don't know maybe I'm used to my 700 series but it seemed to me that the jump between level 1 and level 2 on the sport was a pretty good size jump. Maybe I would get used to it but even my son felt that way and it's his first electric bike. Not that it's a big deal but I could definitely see some scenarios where you might want more than level one but less than level two. Either way it would be preferable if they allowed you to adjust it but it's not a deal breaker.

I have 2 Espins Sports and when I am in PAS 1, the bike is very manageable and smooth-regardless of what gear you have selected. You do realize that you can downshift into PAS 0 and just pedal a 55 pound bike? Am I missing something here? ( I usually am ;) )
no I mean you can just put it down to zero, my son is only taking his out a couple of times and he usually keeps it on level 1. Like I mentioned in the other post I think the only real thing is it seems to be a big power jump from one to two. If it was my bike I would like to be able to lower the power assist in two a bit

Is that with ghost pedaling or are you actually pedaling with some intensity to get some exercise?

Does Espin assist to a specific speed rather than using power based assist like Ride1Up?
That's what I'm wondering. My son got his sport last week And I put it together and we took it out a couple of times. There's something mentioned about adjusting top speed regarding each level but that's not really the issue I'm worried about. I would like to adjust the amount of power in each level if possible but I guess I can't complain because I bought the bike knowing that it was unlikely to be adjustable. I have custom adjusted the levels on my 700 series a few times and I like a smaller bump and power with the bottom three personally. I'll have to take it out again but it seems to me like the difference between level one and level two on the sport is pretty big. Maybe somebody out here knows the actual difference in power between the two who knows

Or get a Ride1Up. Those can be programmed for a specific power percentage for each assist level to set it with just the amount of power you prefer at each assist level. That's what first got me interested in their bikes and was such a turn-off for Espin and Aventon, that people often compare them to.

Edit: Looks like someone else already mentioned the Ride1Up customization of power levels.
I looked at the Ride Up 700. Looks very close to Sport or Flow component wise, however requires a professional assembly in order to qualify for warranty. No thank you. Send me a Flow!

I looked at the Ride Up 700. Looks very close to Sport or Flow component wise, however requires a professional assembly in order to qualify for warranty. No thank you. Send me a Flow!
Well that was one of my hesitances but I put it together myself. Wasn't that much more involved in the sport and after talking to the owner my warranty is intact. I thought the sport was close and for the money it's a great deal but I ridden them both and the 700 series is better in my opinion. I guess I get his point, when I talk to him he said they do that because they're a lot of people out there getting these bikes who have no mechanical skills whatsoever and try to put them together and when something breaks it's a warranty claim.
besides to me it's not really about a comparison here it's just the idea of being able to adjust the power levels would be nice.

cldlhd-
If it's worth anything, I can assure you that controller will be something I'll be looking at closely when we get our Flow. Shouldn't be long now. In the next week or two. If I'm not happy with it, and unable to adjust it somehow, it'll be replaced without a second thought. Retired, use the bike frequently, and if it's not right, I have the time and patience to make it right. Posts/comments regarding my experiences will be made here. -Al

cldlhd-
If it's worth anything, I can assure you that controller will be something I'll be looking at closely when we get our Flow. Shouldn't be long now. In the next week or two. If I'm not happy with it, and unable to adjust it somehow, it'll be replaced without a second thought. Retired, use the bike frequently, and if it's not right, I have the time and patience to make it right. Posts/comments regarding my experiences will be made here. -Al
Thanks I was hoping somebody's smarter would maybe post a solution....... I hope nobody takes it personal I wasn't criticizing the bike I think it's a very good bike especially for the price and my son's very happy with it but even he mentioned it feels like a pretty good jump between the two levels so I would appreciate it thank you

I don't have my emails any more, but if you email Espin, they will tell you what the various assist levels are (i asked for mph).

Again, the rep I spoke to said the assist levels are not adjustable. Maybe some folks have the know-how to bypass, though I do not 😉.

There's something mentioned about adjusting top speed regarding each level but that's not really the issue I'm worried about. I would like to adjust the amount of power in each level if possible but I guess I can't complain because I bought the bike knowing that it was unlikely to be adjustable.

I don't have my emails any more, but if you email Espin, they will tell you what the various assist levels are (i asked for mph).

Speed for "each" level or a global speed setting? If you can adjust speed per level, that sounds like its cadence PAS assists to a certain speed rather than using a certain amount of power. That's actually worse than just not having power adjustments. But I haven't heard anything definitive. I guess we'll wait to see what AHicks finds out.

There were a few big differences to me which crossed Espin off my list. Tire width, top gear ratio, and programmable power assist levels primarily, and I also preferred the look of the 700. If assist on the Espin is based on speed vs. power, that is yet another reason I would prefer the 700. Otherwise, the Sport sounds fine.

Also something to consider, some posters here actually own an Espin or R1U... or both... GenXrider owns neither.

Still waiting for him to get one so I can get a real life experience review. :)

There were a few big differences to me which crossed Espin off my list. Tire width, top gear ratio, and programmable power assist levels primarily, and I also preferred the look of the 700. If assist on the Espin is based on speed vs. power, that is yet another reason I would prefer the 700. Otherwise, the Sport sounds fine.
I like the look of the 700 better and after a couple of rides on the sport like the way it rides bit better but it's also $400 more. My son seems happy with the Sport after a few rides so that's what's important and I'm looking forward to some nice long rides with him when it warms up.

Also something to consider, some posters here actually own an Espin or R1U... or both... GenXrider owns neither.
The features I'm talking about don't require you to own one to know about. They are what they are. It makes it easy to rule out the Sport for me.

I like the look of the 700 better and after a couple of rides on the sport like the way it rides bit better but it's also $400 more. My son seems happy with the Sport after a few rides so that's what's important and I'm looking forward to some nice long rides with him when it warms up.
I absolutely love the idea that without spending a dime more than I would have for a 700, I have an easy 400 budget to mod the Espin to something closer to my perfect bike. Seat, suspension seat post, comfortable wrist supporting grips, whatever it takes to get my preferred upright seating position, tires to suit my preferences, a new controller and display if necessary, ALL of that easily "doable" for 400.....

Noteworthy, is that this 500w gear drive will be the smallest motor we've owned on an e-bike (as compared to 4 others). A budget buster for sure, but if this motor doesn't have the guts we need to get the wife up the hills around here easily (I'm betting it will), we'll convert that to a fire breather as well..... and with less than 2k into it, the bike will STILL be WAY less expensive than anything comparable....

I absolutely love the idea that without spending a dime more than I would have for a 700, I have an easy 400 budget to mod the Espin to something closer to my perfect bike. Seat, suspension seat post, comfortable wrist supporting grips, whatever it takes to get my preferred upright seating position, tires to suit my preferences, a new controller and display if necessary, ALL of that easily "doable" for 400.....

Noteworthy, is that this 500w gear drive will be the smallest motor we've owned on an e-bike (as compared to 4 others). A budget buster for sure, but if this motor doesn't have the guts we need to get the wife up the hills around here easily (I'm betting it will), we'll convert that to a fire breather as well..... and with less than 2k into it, the bike will STILL be WAY less expensive than anything comparable....
I ended up putting a suspension seatpost on it and a more comfortable seat on my 700

The features I'm talking about don't require you to own one to know about. They are what they are. It makes it easy to rule out the Sport for me.
But, when push comes to shove, you dont own an Espin or Ride 1 and I do. IMO, they are both ok, but you are weak.

Back