eMTB Options For 2024

That is what I was thinking also. I opted for a GPS unit purchased from E-bay to obtain actual MPH to ensure a "true" reading while using the Speedclip. I also received confirmation that a wireless cycle computer may have a hiccup from time to time due to E-bike electronics interference.

Mine was a problem 'till I got the sending unit situated right. It was much fussier than I thought it should be. Then the guys whine about it flopping over and getting caught in your spokes. Pshaw...… 🧐

Mine was a problem 'till I got the sending unit situated right. It was much fussier than I thought it should be. Then the guys whine about it flopping over and getting caught in your spokes. Pshaw...… 🧐
I have always used Cateye products and was about to purchase and go wireless. Stopped over at our local E-bike shop (Erik's Bikes) and the tech indicated that wireless may be a problem due to the electronics present on your bike. GPS was the way to go then.
BTW-I like they way your Cateye is perched up on the bars. Nice, streamlined look to it IMO.

The second day out, after getting the sender location adjusted, did 20miles of offroad and it was flawless. A nice little addition.

It's been raining here so the trails are closed...going to be muddy. My adult son was down for a visit and I wanted to take him out on a bike shop loaner, but it rained the whole time.
Maybe I can get out this weekend.

Since it was raining and my bike needed a parking stand since they don't have side stands, I found a nice design, picked up some pvc pipe and fittings, and made one. It's just fantastic. If it's not on the internet it doesn't exist. Right?

What's new for eMTB'S? Any new bikes out?

Not really an eMTB, but a very interesting eMoto... ;)

1584475623015.png

Croatia-based TORP has been hard at work developing a powerful electric motorbike that could combine speed and agility in a single-vehicle. Now the company is ready to show off their creation, the TORP Bike. I don’t know what’s in the water in Croatia, but it’s somehow helping them pump out high-performance, homegrown electric vehicles. Whether it’s a four-wheeled electric supercar or a two-wheeled high-performance electric bike, Croatians have some serious high-power EV street cred. And so it’s not exactly surprising that the new TORP Bike is a high-performance machine in its own right.

With a 15kW (20hp) peak rated electric motor in a 29 kg (64 lb) e-bike, the TORP Bike has a pretty insane power-to-weight ratio. The design also features very low mounting points for the battery and motor, lowering the center-of-gravity on the already lightweight bike. And with an 80 km/h (50 mph) top speed, this is not a low-speed off-road crawler.

The 1.8kWh removable battery pack is said to give around 2.5 hours of “hard off-road riding.
” While I’d love to get a mileage/kilometer figure there, many electric dirt bikes and trail bikes are rated in riding time instead of distance, as it can be more relevant to the type of riding expected. Either way, 2.5 hours of riding time on a 1.8kWh battery assumes around 750W continuous power draw — not exactly a very high figure.

The custom-designed battery weighs in at only 8 kg (17.6 lb), which makes it one of the most energy-dense removable e-motorbike batteries I’ve ever seen. A similar-sized battery in another light electric motorbike I owned weighed around double that much. The TORP team is beginning with a small production batch and is now accepting pre-orders on their site. The TORP Bike is priced at €7,000. While not cheap, that price puts it in line with many other offerings in the industry.

1584475542285.png
1584475561388.png

1584475578092.png
1584475600798.png

Last edited:
Fs911 - that 2 hours riding time might be worth putting into perspective - very few mx bikes really get ridden for more than 2 hours . By the time the average mx rider has done 2 laps, returned to the pirs fir a red bull and selfie session, got another tattoo.....say 15 mins riding and it's day over?

Besides, an 8 kg battery pack? One on each side as panniers? Six hours, with some recharge time over coffee / lunch? We're talking long distance ewan and charlie stuff now.

please forgive the tongue in cheek - but that thing looks like a car park monument to me

In other e-motorbike news...HD says their flagship electric model was a flop. Evidently they have seven or so, I have not paid attention.
Other makers have closed or sold - it's a tough biz.

I was completely fascinated by the electric racers at MogoGP and World Superbike - 200mph in silence is pretty amazing. A fairly large group did the annual trek to Montery, Laguna Seca for the weekend of racing. (and drinking beer. 😋)

I'm pretty sure Brammo is no more...this is actually from 2012. My how time flies.

I grew tired of propping this bike up, although it only fell over once so far. No kickstsand is a pita. LOL
So I made this, 1" pvc, it works. Maybe I'll get a can of krylon fusion and spray it gloss black.

Works just as well for the rear wheel as the front. And dirt-cheap. 👍

Last edited:
Got a nice ride in today, 23 miles total, app said 13 miles of range left, 24% on the meter. I'm pretty happy with that. 3500 total elevation. Not too bad either.

3.5 miles each way on the road to get to the trailhead, then 16 miles on the trail loop. The bike does really well on the road, just lock out the suspension.

We have more rain in the forecast, and a lockdown at home more or less, so it was fun to get out for a spin. There were a LOT of people out on the walking trails. 1 hour 53 minutes - exactly an hour longer than just riding the 12mile loop by itself. Got a really good workout, and it's SO much fun! The bike performs just fantastic.

I grew tired of propping this bike up, although it only fell over once so far. No kickstsand is a pita. LOL
So I made this, 1" pvc, works. Maybe I'll get a can of krylon fusion and spray it gloss black.

Well done... I have my eye on this model. Or I may have to violate the cardinal cycling rule and add a kickstand! o_O

Last edited:
So I made this, 1" pvc, works. Maybe I'll get a can of krylon fusion and spray it gloss black.

Nice/ cost effective setup. Just curious if there is a design similar to yours that could prop that back wheel up a few inches to do chain cleans, light maintenance, etc instead of using a bike stand. When you pedal backwards on Yamaha mid-drives, the cranks do not move (I know, obvious comment). Not sure if that would apply to mostly all E-bike mid-drives or not. Thanks for posting.

Nice/ cost effective setup. Just curious if there is a design similar to yours that could prop that back wheel up a few inches to do chain cleans, light maintenance, etc instead of using a bike stand. When you pedal backwards on Yamaha mid-drives, the cranks do not move (I know, obvious comment). Not sure if that would apply to mostly all E-bike mid-drives or not. Thanks for posting.

I would have to think about it, but probly. Necessity is the mother of invention, no??

The simple solution for the reverse crank is to temporarily zip-tie your crank arm to the chain ring. 👍

Got a nice ride in today, 23 miles total, app said 13 miles of range left, 24% on the meter. I'm pretty happy with that. 3500 total elevation. Not too bad either.

3.5 miles each way on the road to get to the trailhead, then 16 miles on the trail loop. The bike does really well on the road, just lock out the suspension.

We have more rain in the forecast, and a lockdown at home more or less, so it was fun to get out for a spin. There were a LOT of people out on the walking trails. 1 hour 53 minutes - exactly an hour longer than just riding the 12mile loop by itself. Got a really good workout, and it's SO much fun! The bike performs just fantastic.

Glad to see Giant has come through with an outstanding performer. Back in the day, a group of us use to make MTB comparisons between Giant, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 7000, 8000, etc. Seems like the full aluminum framed Trek was the winner in most comparisons due to weight and rigidity.
I also enjoy seeing when a great deal of time, research and effort goes into something prior to purchase. It always pays off in the log term and is usually a win/win. Not a big fan of impulse buying for me either. ;)

I would have to think about it, but probly. Necessity is the mother of invention, no??

The simple solution for the reverse crank is to temporarily zip-tie your crank arm to the chain ring. 👍
Thanks for pointing that out. Much appreciated. So obvious, my bad.

Glad to see Giant has come through with an outstanding performer. Back in the day, a group of us use to make MTB comparisons between Giant, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 7000, 8000, etc. Seems like the full aluminum framed Trek was the winner in most comparisons due to weight and rigidity.
I also enjoy seeing when a great deal of time, research and effort goes into something prior to purchase. It always pays off in the log term and is usually a win/win. Not a big fan of impulse buying for me either. ;)

I wanted to save some $$ and get a Haibike or a BH. Or even the Bulls, or Commencal. This latter looked really attractive. The YT being close by made the decision difficult - they have a really nice product. In the end I was leaning toward choosing a dealer, rather than a bike, and that's why I chose what I did. It helped that a fellow dirtbiker from another continent was advocating for Giant - @PDoz - the guy knows his stuff.

I would have taken a Turbo Levo Comp if I could have got one for four-grand. I couldn't get a Trek dealer to even bring a bike in, let alone sell one for four grand. Funny how these things boil down to a solid option. With enough comparison shopping it's easy to make a decision - it kind of gets made for you.

Now I'm just sorry I didn't jump on this mountain bike thing years ago. I guess the thought of pedaling up hills just didn't appeal. LOL With assist it's a breeze, and just so much fun. And yes, the Giant is performing very well, zero complaints. 👍

I want to thank all contributors here - lots of excellent links, comments, and advice. 👏

Back